News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The role of the forgotten golf organism.
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »
I'll start with bats.  Like I have mentioned before we have the pleasure of housing several bats in a cabin that is located on a golf course.  In researching how to best live with the bats we came upon the idea of a bat house as found on the link below.  Turns out that our bats have made observing a playing the sixth hole at LCCC more pleasurable because of mosquitoe control.  What other forgotten golf organisms play an important role in making the game better and thus architecture more enjoyable?

http://www.eparks.org/wildlife_protection/wildlife_facts/bats/bat_house.asp

Kirk Stewart

Re:The role of the forgotten golf organism.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
The 14th tee at Seminole is one of golf's great orgasms.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »
The lumberjack!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »

Kirk,

This is your eighth post and the second one liner about the 14th at Seminole.  Why?...What is your connection or what is so great about the tee to make it consume 25% of your comments.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
Earthworms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm

The dominant earthworm in the U.S., at least in my neck of the woods, is a non-native species.

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:32:56 PM »

Kirk,

This is your eighth post and the second one liner about the 14th at Seminole.  Why?...What is your connection or what is so great about the tee to make it consume 25% of your comments.

Organ-ism not orgasm my apologies....Too much cough medicine this morning. :D

To answer your question, I think the 14th at Seminole is one of the greatest 5 pars ever built. Many agree that the 3 shotter is the most difficult to design/build. I have played driver / three-wood into a west wind and driver 6 iron with the prevailing. I have been pin high in 2 shots and walked away with a 9. I have birdied it from unlikely positions. I can't think of another 5 par that affords some many options/ decisions.

The fairway bunkers left and right present challenges with a prevailing wind and little trepidation into a wind. When played as 3 shotter into the wind, spin control and trajectory are paramount especially with a front pin location. Should one have a go in 2 and stray left, right or short, the green will not likely give in to an up and down easily. Once on the putting surface, anything above the hole or even to it is unnerving.

The back tee abuts the ocean to the east, affords views of the 16, 17 and 18th to the south and basically everything else to the southwest and west.

Seminole was built on ~180 acres, perhaps less. Some (read: George Peper)  postulate that the course is overrated
while I think it is a marvel and deserving of my (now 9th) 33% post.

BTW...where was the other one liner ? The only thing funny about Seminole is what my caddies have told me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »

BTW...where was the other one liner ? The only thing funny about Seminole is what my caddies have told me.

Here is a link to the thread and the specific quote.  You had made one other post about Seminole but it was in reference to the 11th.  You are the Ted Williams of Ross references.

http://tinyurl.com/392oql

Re:standing in awe
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:33 am »   
The back tee on the 14th at Seminole.

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
John,

The topic of the thread requested input on places that caused one to pause:
"The scene is either so majestic, beautiful, or architecturally stunning that you can't wait to hit the shot but can't force yourself to leave."

I responded with the 14th at Seminole. So I fail to see the humour in this (one liner) or are you referring to the brevity of my response ?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:12 AM »
John,

The topic of the thread requested input on places that caused one to pause:
"The scene is either so majestic, beautiful, or architecturally stunning that you can't wait to hit the shot but can't force yourself to leave."

I responded with the 14th at Seminole. So I fail to see the humour in this (one liner) or are you referring to the brevity of my response ?

Kirk,

On this site a one liner is a line of one.  Humor is not required and rarely found.  btw.  I thought your description of the 14th at Seminole was fantastic and found it a valuable contribution to my day.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
But is it accurate? Are there really any options on any of those shots?

Seems to me that you try to hit it straight, and between the bunkers and if you can, you go for the green...if you can't, you lay up and try to keep it out of the two ponds. From there, you try to wedge it below the hole...

Not a bad hole, a good one actually...

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 12:55:37 PM »
JES,

Seemed pretty straight forward to me as well the first time I played it.... Driver, three-wood to left bunker. Then SW, SW, SW, SW and some putts. I went bunker to bunker to bunker and then played away from the hole to back of green where my putting adventure began to a hole cut 4-5 paces on..

John,

I'm glad I made a contribution to your day. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I hope to be able to add more to this wonderful site.

Warm Regards,

Kirk

JESII

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
Kirk,

The only actual option I see is if you are laying up, how close to the green do you want to be...and that is probably dictatd by the hole location. I don't think any of the shots actually offer any valid option from left to right, do they?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
Any number of small bacteria that are eliminated by the daily stresses placed on grass, including mowing and foot traffic.

The bacteria provide natural competition to fungi and insects during times of disease stress.

Tea brewing programs encourage and reintroduce these bacteria and complement and encourage a program less dependent on both preventative and curative pesticides.

JESII

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
Think about that, JakaB, the next time you're down in the spider crouch like Villegas trying to read a putt...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »
Think about that, JakaB, the next time you're down in the spider crouch like Villegas trying to read a putt...

You too... it's your club that does it.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »
This summer I happened to observe a wasp clutching a cutworm and having it's way.  Wasps (and other predatory insects) are beautiful.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:59 AM »
Owls and Hawks.

They eat SO many rodents that it really cleans things up.  You should see all the rodent "leftovers" in the spring - it's really amazing.

Less field mice means less holes.  Less holes means better ground conditions.

Swallows are also wonderful for all the flying insects they eat.  I miss the little guys this time of year - their return signifies spring to me.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 07:04:28 AM »
Border Collies...keep the course free from public enemy number 1...architecture is much more enjoyable when you're not stepping in number 2!
It is what it is.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 08:19:31 PM »
Gophers generally suck, but they have provided me with useful relief, under the rules, on occasion.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 07:34:10 AM »
How about Grass Carp (Sterilized Variety)?

They are amazing at clearing out ponds that are clogged with vegetation, there's nothing worse than a stinky golf pond. I've seen them laying partially out of the water to get at plants on the shoreline when they've exhausted the plant life in the water.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back