News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

Golf in Seattle/Washington state
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »
A college golf buddy of mine is getting married in Seattle next summer, and a few of us might be making the trip out there for it (and perhaps trying to sneak some golf in along the way). Short of making the trip down to Bandon - which may not be logistically possible - is there any public-access golf within a few hours of Seattle worth sniffing after?

Cheers,
Darren

(BTW, long time, no chat...my second child - a boy called Christopher - was born two months ago, and it's hard to keep up here when you're not at peak intensity.) :)

David_Tepper

Re:Golf in Seattle/Washington state
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
There have been several threads (w/pics) here of the new Chambers Bay course near Tacoma over the past 6 months or so. The Nov/Dec issue of Travel & Leisure Golf named Chambers Bay the Best New Course of 2007.    

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
Darren,

There are several options, but in reality, your best bet is to play Chambers Bay as much as possible.

So, there is Chambers Bay.  I'm guessing you know about that one already. ;)

Then there is Gold Mountain, across the ferry in Bremerton.
WA National is the Huskies home course, also fun.
The Home Course is just past Tacoma and is a fun course as well.

But I'd stick to Chambers,
Let me know if you need a caddy.
 :)

Garland Bayley

Jordan Wall fashion sense
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
Darren,

If you have Jordan caddy for you insist that he not slow you down with his shoe changes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »

Darren,

Further to Garland's advice, make certain, if you retain Jordan as a caddy, he does not slip into his jeans, as he did with some of us.

I am certain that any of us in this part of the world would find a game for you. Let us know when you will be here, when you may be available for the game and the limitations set out based upon the wedding. Sean Leary and I will make certain that Jordan can carry your bag.

Regards, and hope to meet you! I was in Dunbar several years back and loved it.

Bob Jenkins

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »
Bob,

Whats up!
Sure has been a while.

Darren, dont believe Bob or Garland about the jeans or the shoes.

If it was true, then they would have pictures to prove it...

HA!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:38:14 PM by Jordan Wall »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »

Jordan,

You know I have the evidence!

I just need to know how to get it onto this board. I think you gave me a bum steer earlier in the year but I will get there. You will pay for your sins!

Otherwise, I would love to be golfing but I assume you have the same snowfall we have had the last few days. I will be hitting balls in my sleep for a while. It is not uncommon for us to play in December around here and I expect it will come.

I would love to have you, Sean, Pete, Garland, Sean Reehorn and a few others from the Seattle and Portand areas come up here next year and I am working on an outing. In Vancouver, there are really no new courses coming on stream but the Okanagan and Vancouver Island are booming in that regard.

Bob

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:18:54 AM »
Bob,

I'd make the trip.

Next summer is fully devoted to golf, so I might as well add Vancouver to my travels.
I'll get Reehorn to drive though.  
 ;D

Reehorn, you out there?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »
Darren Jordon hit it on the head. Chambers Bay is a great play.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

Darren,

Jordan nailed it in his first post, just ignore the rest of his stuff though. :)

Although I am not a huge fan of Washington National.

Garland Bayley

Don't Let Jordan Dress Like This
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 12:10:38 PM »

Darren,

Jordan nailed it in his first post, just ignore the rest of his stuff though. :)

Although I am not a huge fan of Washington National.

I think Gold Mountain, Olympic would be an interesting course for someone from Scotland to see.
But for sure play Chambers Bay.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »

Garland,

I agree. Until Chambers Bay came around the Olympic course was the top of the heap on the public side.  

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
Garland - if I told you I'm from Atlanta and only live in Scotland, would that change your recommendation for Gold Mountain? ;)

In truth, I'd forgotten (or maybe never knew) that Chambers Bay was in Washington - good to know! Thanks for the suggestions...that'd likely be our plan of action. I'll be sure to look you up, Jordan, if indeed we make it that far.

Cheers,
Darren

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »
Darren,

Wouldn't change my recommendation. I doubt you see a course built on some interestingly severe terrain with the mighty Douglas fir incorporated around Atlanta. It probably is the best public example of building a good course in our Douglas fir forests of western Oregon and Washington.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 06:20:42 PM »
Garland - if I told you I'm from Atlanta and only live in Scotland, would that change your recommendation for Gold Mountain? ;)

In truth, I'd forgotten (or maybe never knew) that Chambers Bay was in Washington - good to know! Thanks for the suggestions...that'd likely be our plan of action. I'll be sure to look you up, Jordan, if indeed we make it that far.

Cheers,
Darren

Darren,

Please do, I'd love to caddy for you.

Garland,
Thanks.
 :P :-X ;)

igrowgrass

Re:Don't Let Jordan Dress Like This
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 09:07:39 PM »

You can almost feel the board waiting for someone to post about this kids clothing choice.  I'll go first

Jordan is thinking to himself,
"The reason I wear jeans is its easier access to my mulligan ball than when I wear khaki's...wait I don't own a pair of khaki's, I spent all my money on shoes."

He took the ACT that morning, he matched his score after 3 holes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:09:13 PM by Sean Reehoorn »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »

"Let's see, I can go to the car and change shoes between 9 and 10, and then again between 13 and 14. If I hadn't brought my GCA Sunday bag today, I could have packed some shoes in my bag and changed at least twice as often."

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
The heck with Chambers, if the man is Scottish, or just thinks he is, go ahead look at Sahalee or the front side at Aldarra, maybe a cruise around McCormick Woods, Fircrest, Seattle or Oakbrook.  

You gotta love those NARROW tree lined NW courses.

Oh hell go to Chambers, they have a tree too.  

See it down there in the distance?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:10:11 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 10:09:38 PM »

You can almost feel the board waiting for someone to post about this kids clothing choice.  I'll go first

Jordan is thinking to himself,
"The reason I wear jeans is its easier access to my mulligan ball than when I wear khaki's...wait I don't own a pair of khaki's, I spent all my money on shoes."

He took the ACT that morning, he matched his score after 3 holes.

Sean your quite a guy.
I was expecting something worse than that.
phew

As it turns out, I did awesome on my ACT, top 90%, and also did very well on my SAT.
This past Saturday I received my acceptance letter to WSU, the earliest possible date to receive it.
So, it was definitely worth wearing the jeans and taking the ACT.
 :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 12:25:22 AM »
hey Jordan,

so you're headed over to Pullman then?  There are some good tracks over there including Circling Raven which won't be too far away.  And Spokane has 3-4 that are worth a play as well, and all under $25 to play.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
Kalen,

How close is Circling Raven?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 12:32:31 AM »
Kalen,

How close is Circling Raven?

I guess not too far away is a relative term.  I'm guessing anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 hour drive.  Spokane will be further at about 2.5 hours.

igrowgrass

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »
Jordan won't have time to play golf away from college, he will be focused on his studies and keeping his shoes clean.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:49:29 AM by Sean Reehoorn »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 01:36:05 AM »
Jordan,
Congrats, but I would be much more impressed with a top 10% in the SATs. Did the new Harbottle cvourse Palouse Ridge opening next year at WSU have any sway?

http://golf.wsu.edu/

And did you know that that big hill in the middle of the fairway on 15 at the Home Course is a buried dynamite bunker?

Darren,
Hope I won't be out of town. Let me know the range of dates.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:39:44 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back