News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re:"The Match" book description
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »
If you really enjoy Frost's fiction, make sure you check out "Twin Peaks."

It's particularly enjoyable fiction in that it never pretended to be anything else.

(Inquisitors? That's funny!)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
I thought you'd like that, Dan.

As for the rest, I shall at last let it lie.

TH

Dave Maberry

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »
Had to pick up book to check it out. Sounds like other Frost books, great idea/topic but a little short on research and truth.
Anyone know about cover photo by Loon Hill? Is this a 50's photo of The Clambake at Cypress Point? Is that Hogan swinging?
Thanks,
Dave  

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
Got this book for Christmas, after reading and enjoying "The Greatest Game...".  Knew there was going to be some back and forth about it on this site, so I decided I'd stay away from this post until I got into it.

After starting the book the other night I was immediately engrossed by this story.  But, about 75 pages into it I was filled with angst after reading a passage about Byron Nelson's asst. pro job at Ridgewood CC.  The author details it as "one of the oldest private New York Metropolitan area establishments... crafted out of old celery fields by Arthur W. Tillinghast."

What the %&$*!  Who the hell is Arthur Tillinghast?  And, more importantly... who the hell is the proofreader/editor/or whatever position is supposed to make sure these errors don't happen.

The rest of the book is ruined for me.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »
I put The Match down with about 25 pages to go when I realized it was more bullsh*t than fact. Later I talked to Bob Labbance who pointed out many more problems with it. I have a real problem with authors portraying work as fact and then making it up as they go. Does anyone know Frost? Does he consider himself a historian or does he just embelish stories so they can me made into movies?

Anthony

Ken Moum

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »
Does anyone know Frost? Does he consider himself a historian or does he just embelish stories so they can me made into movies?

Anthony

Well, his other recent work is the screenplay for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
No further questions, your honor.

Anthony

Dave Maberry

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
Concerning the cover photo, it is based on 50th photo in at
 http://www.julianpgraham.com/galleryCypressPoint.htm
It appears to be Ben Hogan loosening up on 1st tee at Cypress Point during 1950 Crosby Clambake. It was taken from second floor clubhouse roof and editing was done on tee to remove people and shadows to support "The Match" theme.
Many other Monterey area photos from 1924 to 1963 are at
 http://www.julianpgraham.com/gallery.htm
Dave

Ian_L

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:52 AM »
I just finished reading The Match. What surprises me in this thread is that many of the posters want to put this book into the realm of "historical fiction," when the book seems to be the opposite.  The "history" part seems to be more fictitious than the actual plot (the match).  Are there any known inaccuracies concerning the match itself? 

I did not like the Appendix about Cypress Point and MacKenzie because I had the feeling Frost didn't really know what he was talking about.  However, the match itself was intriguing, and the descriptions of the holes seemed rather insightful for the most part, although I've never been to CPC.

I guess my feelings about the book are somewhat along the lines of:

As far as the Greatest Game is concerned, the story is just so compelling that I felt Frost performed a service just by retelling it.

That being said, it was unfortunate that I couldn't trust many of the other parts of the book.

Bradley Anderson

Re: "The Match" book description
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »
I have to say that I am enjoying the book.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »
I put The Match down with about 25 pages to go when I realized it was more bullsh*t than fact. Later I talked to Bob Labbance who pointed out many more problems with it. I have a real problem with authors portraying work as fact and then making it up as they go. Does anyone know Frost? Does he consider himself a historian or does he just embelish stories so they can me made into movies?

Anthony

Anthony: I interviewed Frost in the spring, but never really wrote about it. I should dig up the interview and post it on my blog, as we talked at length about the people who have attacked his accuracy. Don't remember his response off the top, but this would make an interesting piece.

BTW, finished reading "To the Nines" the other evening and very much enjoyed it.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I played Cypress with Matt Roman as my caddie, quite possibly one of the most professional of that ilk. His father, the famous Blackie ,was a prominent caddie at the time so I asked Matt if he could go through his Father's effects to see whether there was any piece of paper, record or diary of the Match. He said he would.

Bob

Paul Jones

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
Bob,

Did you ever hear back from Matt Roman?

Please update when you do.  I will be very aggrevated if that hole story is made up.  I figured the story was true and the author added/improvised to make it a "better?" read.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

TEPaul

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I guess the best way to find out what is true or not true in that book would be to just ask Venturi. He's still around, right? Who today would know better than he would? After-all he played in it.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back