News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Powell Arms

searchable archives of American Golfer and Golf Illustrated
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:35:57 PM »
I’m sure many of you know of this resource, but I just found it and have wasted the past hour or so flipping through PDF’s of old magazines.

The LA 84 Foundation has online archives of American Golfer and Golf Illustrated, and they are searchable with an embedded google search engine.  

The archives are located at

http://www.la84foundation.org/5va/serials_frmst.htm

Awesome stuff – enjoy!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:42:26 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Ian Andrew

Re:searchable archives of American Golfer and Golf Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
Powell,

The USGA has the same and more at:

http://www.usga.org/aboutus/museum/library/segl.html

The only minor issue I have with research by this search engine is the number of dead ends that you run into. I wrote a letter to the group looking at the USGA archives - from a end user's perspective - about a number of alternatives that could help make researching a little easier.

I'll try the one you listed to see if the search engine works any better.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »
One note to anyone who has not had a look through some of these publications - they are full of suprises - many of which are not listed in the search engine.

A good example: I found  a photo of the famous plaster model of Banff looking for a Tillinghast referece that I needed to Fenway. It was not listed or referenced at all but appeared within an article on "mountain courses."

Ian
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:21:59 PM by Ian Andrew »

Powell Arms

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:12:52 PM »
The USGA site has each issue of a periodical as a single PDF.  The LA84 site has turned the individual articles into their own PDF's.  If searching for something specific, LA84 would seem superior.  If browsing, the USGA site would appear superior, turning up some interesting artciles and advertisements
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Don't you guys worry your pretty little heads over the differing ease of access with LA84 vs USGA pdf files or whatever.

I have just arranged with Faith Hill for her and Tim McGraw to write a song that goes something like:

"How to get even
with feelin'
while golfin'
against The Game Mind of Man
Oh Yeah"

You guys can put it on your IPods inside a month.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:14:03 PM by TEPaul »

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:11:43 PM »
Be forewarned! If you start researching through the old American Golfer and Golf Illustrated mags in the USGA archives you'll lose track of time in a flash. I know, I've done it! It's almost endless the things one can find in there. Fantastic old photo's as well. When I first started researching through them one evening I could'nt believe the next time I looked at the time and 3 hours had passed! Patience is required in looking through them as the search engine doesn't seem to work that great. Despite this, it is a great resource.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back