News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re:Golfing Societies
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 04:23:51 AM »
Elie is shared by The Golf House Club (Elie) and The Earlsferry Golf Club, whose small clubhouse is to the right of the 18th tee.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 05:06:35 AM »
Here is a strange one.  Burnham & Berrow used to have an artisans group, The Berrow Artisans, who were allowed to play free on the course at certain times in exchange for maintenance labour on the course.  Eventually, the parent club started to ask for a contribution which went quite high by the mid 70s.  There were also complaints that artisans were using the club and that some artisans could easily afford the club dues.  Additionally, the social mores surrounding golf clubs was fast changing - they were becoming more egalitarian and artisans didn't necessarily fit into this new world order.  In 1981 the parent club offered full membership without the need to pay an entrance fee to the artisans.  There are still some dozen members of Burnham who were once artisans.  

From my perspective, I think its a great pity that artisan clubs are on the decline.  Much like caddying, what a great way to learn about the game: work a bit on the course and learn something in exchange for free golf.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marc Haring

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 05:35:42 AM »
Here is a strange one.  Burnham & Berrow used to have an artisans group, The Berrow Artisans, who were allowed to play free on the course at certain times in exchange for maintenance labour on the course.  Eventually, the parent club started to ask for a contribution which went quite high by the mid 70s.  There were also complaints that artisans were using the club and that some artisans could easily afford the club dues.  Additionally, the social mores surrounding golf clubs was fast changing - they were becoming more egalitarian and artisans didn't necessarily fit into this new world order.  In 1981 the parent club offered full membership without the need to pay an entrance fee to the artisans.  There are still some dozen members of Burnham who were once artisans.  

From my perspective, I think its a great pity that artisan clubs are on the decline.  Much like caddying, what a great way to learn about the game: work a bit on the course and learn something in exchange for free golf.  

Ciao

I used to be an artisan member myself Sean, of Stoke Poges. I was working on the greenstaff at the time and that was the only way I could get some competitive golf in. There were about 30 of them in the club and we inhabited an old cellar in the clubhouse. They were the most hilarious people to play golf with. Early morning whiskeys before tee off, an endless steam of filthy jokes, breaking wind on the top of other peoples backswings. Great fun!!

To give you an example of the sort of eccentricities that they were capable of I will recount the true story that one of them called Jim told me. Jim was a typical old artisan full of all sorts of aches and ailments that a lifetime of toil at the local chemical factory had bestowed upon him. One day he and an equally worn out partner were playing a foreball match against another local artisan team. Between them they had as usual been soundly thrashed and so Jim came up a fiendish ruse on how they could retrieve their lost stake money. “I bet you,” he said to the opposition “that me and my partner have got five balls between us”. (I must just point out that the balls in question were not the ones used for playing golf but were in fact the low compression variety that men possess for the purposes of furthering the species.) Upon hearing this statement Jim’s partner said “Hold on a minute Jim. Do you know what you’re doing”? “Don’t worry,” said Jim “It’ll be alright” and he repeated the challenge to the opposition. As they were artisans themselves they were not particularly surprised at the conversation, which was quite typical in such circles but they were rather intrigued. After further discussion on the bet and further objections from Jim’s partner the opposition agreed, reasoning that witnessing this unusual spectacle would be worth the money anyway. The scene was then set for the full exposure of Jim and his partners private accoutrements for the opposing team and presumably anyone else in the area to view. At this point Jim’s partner said “well Jim, I hope you’ve got four, cos. I’ve only got the one!”
 To explain, Jim it turned out, had caught something in his nether regions that had given the impression of having an extra one of these spherical objects. He had assumed that his partner had the standard number therefore bringing the total to five. However, what Jim did not realise was his partner had recently lost one of the said objects to the surgeons scalpel having not long previously developed problems of his own down below, so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:36:38 AM by Marc Haring »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
Wayne,

I'm delighted you enjoyed the visit of the MCC golf section in the summer. For a cricket club it has a huge golf section with around 1200 members. The club play their home matches at The Berkshire, hold around 40 golf days at some of the UK's finest courses and embark on 3 or 4 tours to wonderful venues.

I recently had the pleasure of joining a fine group of golfing gentlemen at lunch during their recent tour to the UK - sadly due to my injured rib from Buda week I was unable to join in the match. The Dinner Match Society were most welcome guests at Deal combining their love of foursomes matchplay golf, with lively banter, good food and fine wines. Based in the Boston area they draw their membership from some of the finest clubs in the North East. I understand the Societies inspiration came from The Golf Match Club which you may have read about in Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland. Gentlemen to a man.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Sean Walsh

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 07:22:57 PM »
I play most of my golf with either the MCC (Melbourne Cricket Club) or the Victoria Police Golf Club (a society despite the name).  

The MCC usually host or travel to play the UK MCC during each Ashes series.

PCCraig

Re: Golfing Societies
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
Bumping this thread from about eleven years ago as I've noticed a number of US based golf societies springing up. It appears technology has helped the old fashioned "society" into the modern times.

There is the Outpost Club (www.outpostclub.com), NewClub (https://www.newclub.golf/), and the Silver Club Golfing Society (https://silverclubgolfingsociety.com/).

It appears that one of the primary benefits of these groups is access to private clubs through numbers and/or outings.

Are there others that I am missing? Are there benefits to belonging to a society here in the US? Has anyone ever formed their own?

Is the Port Society still around?
H.P.S.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
Bumping this thread from about eleven years ago as I've noticed a number of US based golf societies springing up. It appears technology has helped the old fashioned "society" into the modern times.

There is the Outpost Club (www.outpostclub.com), NewClub (https://www.newclub.golf/), and the Silver Club Golfing Society (https://silverclubgolfingsociety.com/).

It appears that one of the primary benefits of these groups is access to private clubs through numbers and/or outings.

Are there others that I am missing? Are there benefits to belonging to a society here in the US? Has anyone ever formed their own?

https://thousandgreens.com/

https://breakingeighty.com/club

Have heard of each but have no experiences with them.

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »

The MN GCA Golf Group

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »

The MN GCA Golf Group

Good one!
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »

I formed a golfing society with Brian Finn and Will MacEwen. But I’d rather not talk about it. I’ve said too much already.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
Stationers Club in NYC- www.sgagolf.net   -  was mentioned by me in this similar thread:

Also, in the NY Metro area. Stationers GA is perhaps the most open such society. I joined awhile ago for a  few years and played Quaker Ridge, Sunningdale and Metropolis  in Westchester County, among others. Each event was similar to a one day member-guest with lunch before golf, dinner after and prizes. I don't know if they still exist as their website hasn't been updated since 2012:

They are still open and their website has been updated but they only reveal their schedule of events to members.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60120.msg1422263.html#msg1422263
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:55:54 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

B.Ross

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 02:25:57 PM »
a bunch others out there: eligo, friars, eden, axial, stake, openrounds, rota club, echelon, golfpass etc. most quite new. google's your friend here.

silverclub appears to be an outshoot of outpost.

thousandgreens is fantastic and has helped me get on a few great courses.

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »

https://breakingeighty.com/club

So based on the FAQ on the above website, the owner of the society/club receives $75thd a year (150 members x $500 dues) which he uses to travel the country playing golf and in return he provides a directory of members who are willing to share access to their club(s) and have access to an online forum.

Interesting?

H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
a bunch others out there: eligo, friars, eden, axial, stake, openrounds, rota club, echelon, golfpass etc. most quite new. google's your friend here.

silverclub appears to be an outshoot of outpost.

thousandgreens is fantastic and has helped me get on a few great courses.

Seems like most of the above are for-profit enterprises or essentially for profit group travel agents?
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 06:47:15 AM »
Maybe we had more outings in the "old days", but GCA is still my favorite "golfing society". The fact that Ran never applied to the USGA as "club without real estate" or similar, fits the eclectic personality of the group. Donations fit the group. Mike Whitaker is running yet another great outing that I sadly can't attend. I recently reached out to Pensacola Country Club using the Uncle Bill McBride reference. One day I will get to a "Buda Cup". [size=78%]My new list is the "147 Custodians+". [/size][/size][size=78%]I appreciate Ran putting up with my insanity over the years. And yes, there is a side of me that wishes I could play better, but that would eliminate much of the fun, for me. [/size]

+ = other courses on the thread - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66302.0.html
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

David_Tepper

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back