News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Recent Donald Ross Restorations
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
Has anyone seen the finished product at Evanston Golf Club?

Jeff Shelman

Re:Recent Donald Ross Restorations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure Shivas posted on here that he saw it and that there were good improvements. Let me see if I can search and see if I can find it.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:17:07 PM »
A bit of discussion here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=30533

I'm hoping to get out there next year as the in-laws-to-be live within minutes of there.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:17:21 PM »

The most significant could be the restoration at Charlotte CC. I don't know when it will be ready for play but I have heard it is going to be spectacular.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »
Mike , those of us at Beverly CC in Chicago like to think of ours as being pretty significant also especially if you see the before and after. What was at one time a claustrophbic tree choked track with uninteresting bunkering is now a course that is one hell of a test. The quality of the putting surfaces has improved dramatically in response to an aggresive tree removal program. My hats off to the members that had the guts to make the hard decisions.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »

Jack-

I have not been to Beverly but its obvious how good that turned out. Top 100 Golfweek etc.

Perhaps I should not have used the term most significant, but I was commenting with the thread title in mind. I took "Recent" to mean in the last year or so.

Greg Holland

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
Kris Spence's restoration work at Sedgefield CC in Greensboro is terrific.  I know Brad Klein has seen it, so maybe he can provide additional detail.  

J_McKenzie

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:00:26 PM »
Brunswick CC in Brunswick, Ga. reopened for play November 1, 2007 and the restoration/renovation has been well received.  This project has been a success both on the course and off- the membership had dipped to a low of around 130 when the board voted to move forward with the project and had climbed to the 400 mark by the time the course reopened 12 months later.  The current membership is now 426 and counting with very reasonable out of town memberships available for anyone interested.

Here are a few before/after shots:

Hole #6, par-5, before

#6 after

Hole #15, par-3, before

#15 after

Hole #17, par-3, before

#17 after

As mentioned before, this is an untouched Ross course from 1938-39 which is quite evident in the "before" pictures.  It's amazing how much smaller and rounded the greens and bunkers had become from 68 years of normal maintenance practices.  These pictures don't really do the changes justice.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »
The Nov/Dec issue of Travel &Leisure Golf has a story(not online yet) on page 50 about the recent 4.5M renovation of The Biltmore in Coral Gables, FL by Brian Silva.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
The Nov/Dec issue of Travel &Leisure Golf has a story(not online yet) on page 50 about the recent 4.5M renovation of The Biltmore in Coral Gables, FL by Brian Silva.

Bump. Curious to know if anyone has played or has any thoughts on the Biltmore in Coral Gables either before or after.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back