News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

What does the treehouse know about Charleston Municipal?
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
I couldn't find much during a quick internet search...is it worth playing one day when I'm down in SC?

George_Bahto

Re:What does the treehouse know about Charleston Municipal?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Not really - Raynor designed it while he was in the area - interesting to look at some of the abandoned bunkers in between the tree lines -interesting shapes and positions.

Was built as a muni originally.

Was built in 1929 and opening in 1930 - 4 years after SR died.

Whoever constructed the course may have built sand greens originally. A few interesting holes near the end of the routing thru a serious tidal area

about 6400 yards today.

July 8, 1930 - 15 holes open

Oct 1930 - last 3 holes and at that point Lucien Picard, then pro at CC Charleston, seems to have been involved with the last three holes and the clubhouse
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tim Rooney

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
Poor condition ,tight and inexpensive.Charlston National or Crowfield would be better choice.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Hmmm...is there anything in maybe a 30-45 mile radius that's public? On the private side I hear Bulls Bay is super.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
About a half-hour down Hwy 17 is The Links at Stono Ferry in Hollywood, SC. I've played there four or so times and it's generally in good shape and is a very enjoyable course. Nothing distinguished GCA-wise but walkable, not entirely drowning in houses (although there are certainly houses close to a few holes on the back nine) and there's one little stretch where it faces out on the Stono River marshes that is quite beautiful. Low profile, fairly generous driving areas and enough contour on the greens to provide a bit of interest. Not cheap but during the winter probably in the $60-ish range.

Personally, I enjoyed playing at The Muni but the conditioning is about what you'd expect on a $25/round municipal course and at weekends pace of play may be atrocious. Nice course for what it is, I'd play there again if I were nearby and in the mood.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »
Bulls Bay is unbelievable. Contact me off list and I'll send you some articles.  Here's the review I did last year:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=541
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:28:24 PM by Jay Flemma »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:50:21 AM »
Oct 1930 - last 3 holes and at that point Lucien Picard, then pro at CC Charleston, seems to have been involved with the last three holes and the clubhouse

George: no quibble, but I think that's Henry Picard.  
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Gary Daughters

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »

Mike,

I've always enjoyed Patriots Point.  It was faster, firmer and cheaper before the Ginn folks came in, but it's still a neat course, particularly the back 9.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tom Roewer

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:16:26 AM »

George: no quibble, but I think that's Henry Picard.  
DEfinitely Henry Picard!  was Head golf Professional @ CC Charleston as well as Canterbury and Seminole - NOT BAD!  also winner of Masters and PGA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back