News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Golf in the Southern Caribbean
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »
I'm going on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, St. Kitts, La Romana, Barbados) in March.  It's very difficult to find out about golf courses in this area and what is best to play on some of these islands.  Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations?  Any information would be appreciated.

-Brian

Gary Slatter

Re:Golf in the Southern Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
enjoy the cruise, it's a rush to play and most are not worth it when you have to get back to the ship etc.  Play before or after the cruising.  
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:18:58 PM »
LaRomana might be your best bet for quality with Teeth of the Dog. Tghen there's Dye Fore and a few other choices right there.

St. Thomas has Mahogany Run.(I think it is still viable) It has 1 1/2 ocean holes and is better than nothing.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42:50 PM »
Brian,

We've done cruises like that in February for the last few years.  Mostly on Celebrity.  Who are you going with?  If it's one of the big lines they'll have a golf program that'll arrange the games for you at each stop (where there's a course).  You can find info about the program and the courses through the cruise line web site.

I assume you'll be leaving from San Juan, so there'll be no time for golf.  If there is time they'll probably take you to Conquistador.  Long hike east of San Juan.  Interesting mountain type course overlooking the ocean.

At La Romana they'll usually offer you either Teeth of the Dog or Dye Fore.  The former is better by a lot.  Trip to course takes 5 minutes.

St Thomas has one course, Mahogany Run.  It was in much better shape when we were there last year.  Plays up and down a canyon.  Some interesting holes.  The par 3 on the ocean cliff-top has to be seen and played.

Dominica - don't know, never been there.

St. Kitts - a decent course renovated recently by a Canadian architect, Tom McBrrom.  They used paspalum greass - interesting if you haven't played it before.  The course has some neat holes on a relatively flat piece of land.  The closing holes are along the ocean.  It has its own web site you can google for.

Barbados - have done the Barbados Golf Club - a pedestrian effort, but affordable.  Last time there we were taken to the Country Club course at Sandy Lane. Nice design (by Fazio    ;) ), fairly hilly, nice condition.  More expensive.  I think the World Cup was there last year.

All in all, I'd disagree with Gary, the courses are decent to good and sure as hell beat shopping or touring in any of these places.  Especially if you're coming from a cold weather place.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:19:43 PM »
If there is time and a way to catch a fast boat(the Four Seasons has one),go across the channel from St Kitts and play the Nevis course(at Four Seasons Nevis).Other than Teeth of Dog,it is better than other Caribean golf and the views are spectacular.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back