News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Routing
« on: November 22, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
How do you define/describe routing?

What are examples of good/bad routing?

Adrian_Stiff

Re:Routing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
How do you define/describe routing?

What are examples of good/bad routing?
I think good routing is just getting the best out of the land taking into account the problems with the land v end result. All parcels of land throw up different problems in some respects you need to know the before land in order to assess a good or bad routing.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
May I recommend Forrest Richardson's Routing the Golf Course to you instead of answering here? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »
Yeah, I think you should send $50 or so Forrest's way.  Its a pretty good read on a subject that is too complex to tackle in an internet post.  You can also check out some of the related pieces on my Cybergolf.com series from a while back.

I do recall writing that if I finish a routing quickly, it probably means I have either 17 or 19 holes....... :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:52:34 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
This is why Jeff's courses are so cheap...or so darn expensive. Either less or more than the number of holes required.  ;D

One of the best descriptions is from Bill Amick: "It is something that goes out and comes back, what more does one need to know?" That was his wit upon hearing that a publisher had actually offered to print and distribute a volume on the subject.

Another decent observation: "Routing is something that most people cannot get in their head all at one time...most people have ability only to think of golf holes one at a time." — Desmond Muirhead.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark Smolens

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
Mr. R, isn't that because we're taught to think of only one shot at a time?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
I'm not sure it has much to do with playing the game, but perhaps. Routing is extremely complicated. It is an exponential endeavor when one begins to consider the influences, constraints and logistics.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »
I love routing!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:39:14 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back