News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey Childs

Re:DAVE SILK: A GREAT PLAYING PARTNER
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
Head directly on down to the Main Line and hit Huntingdon Valley on your way back north.  You'll avoid the Spectrum area entirely.

I better tell Dave Schultz he's out of the foursome.  Bobby Clarke too as he is liable to do a Kharmalov on your ankle if you're beating him.

Wayne - If the word gets out that Silk and Pioppi are in the area there will be bouquets of roses on the fairways to greet them.  This happened to us a couple of weeks ago.

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »
Geoff,

I don't know, after watching a goal scorer like MacLeish (he was something!) drop the gloves and hold is own, well are you sure we should lay out a carpet of roses?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 07:11:10 PM »
Gee, I thought that "dancing with the stars" was a relatively new show... now perfoming their rendition of Broadstreet Mambo #5, the dancing duo of Macleish and Silk, with Macleish leading this evening...

Tony, I have it figured out now why Silky lets you play golf with him... he lets you hold his front teeth bridge while he is teeing off, because otherwise they would rattle out of his mouth due to the violent moment of inertia...

I love the understatement in the clip, 'that is the one that cut him'.  Gee, Do you think?  And, then the guy says that Holmgren was downed in the main event off to the side... So that means that Davey was only the undercard?  Yikes...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:13:49 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
Our boy Silky at work!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_q0NvJNJ6qM

Yikes.

Anthony

That Dave Silk is one smart guy--he kept his helmet on the whole fight!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Kyle Harris

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
All I have for partners is Tom Paul, Mike Cirba, Andy Scanlon, Steve Shaffer, Powell Arms and Mike Malone down here.  :-\  Bill Dow travels too much so I'm in need of some serious partner upgrading.  Is Philadelphia too far for you guys to travel?  Get some Have Clubs Will Travel cards made up and get down here after the Spring thaw.   ;)

How easily forgotten I've become.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:57 PM »
Wayne, watch out for Pioppi, he'll visit your club, smile, buy you beer, even lend you a shirt from his car (Myopia Hunt Club, no less), and then fleece you for all you have. You have been warned.

wsmorrison

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 07:26:14 PM »
Kyle,

You don't live in Philadelphia anymore.

Lloyd,

Thanks for the warning.  However, this is Quaker territory and even  $2 Nassaus are frowned upon   ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »
Yeah yeah, I know... hard to believe it's been over a year since we've played together.

A bit after Dave's time, but the course I work at has several Tampa Bay Lightning as members... I wear my two Flyers shirts frequently.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »
I seem to recall a Dave Silk who played maybe a few (?) seasons with the Wings in the mid 80s briefly for the Wings - a dark time for the Wings.  Is this the same guy?  Now that I think about it, Dave Silk may have joined the Wings the same year as Stevie Y - 83-84.  Unfortunately, I don't have any memory of DS on ice - just the name.

Ciao  

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

dsilk

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »
leave it to that dang Pioppi to dredge up that video- who knew MacLeish had such soft hands AND such hard hands... oh well-
okay so far we have philly and wisco on the magical mystery tour route.. any other offers? a few free trips to the sunshine state , maybe a round or two in Az., a couple of nutri-slim bars and people may think I am mike eruzione....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
Mr Cole:

I fleeced no one! Raked that person over the coals? Perhaps? Kicked his tail? Possibly? Handed him his hat (and a shirt)? Could be.

Anthony

dsilk

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »
you remember Stevie Y ( hall of famer) but not Davey S ( cup of coffee- to go)?
that's odd-

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 07:48:46 PM »
You had time for a cup of coffee?

Didn't Stevie Y claim you as a major influence on his career? I know I have.

Anthony

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:49:12 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 09:34:52 PM »
Not to get to nostalgic, but I'm sure DSilk has heard stuff like this before.  I think for guys of my generation (40-50 years old) one of the best, if not the best, television sports moments was the semifinal game of the 1980 Olympic Games.... even if ABC did tape delay the darn thing.  The only event almost as compelling for me was about 6 years later by some 46 years old 'washed up' golfer at ANGC in the final round.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:52:19 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
All I have for partners is Tom Paul, Mike Cirba, Andy Scanlon, Steve Shaffer, Powell Arms and Mike Malone down here.  :-\  Bill Dow travels too much so I'm in need of some serious partner upgrading.  Is Philadelphia too far for you guys to travel?  

Oh My lord, Wayne...what a pathetic bunch of playing partners you have!

Even I feel sorry for you!!  ;)

Perhaps you can trade two Mike's and a Powell or Paul for one Silk and a player to be named later?  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
Oh, by the way Dave...

Did you know this guy Morrison pissed on Raynor's grave?   :o ;D

Noel Freeman

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 08:28:38 AM »
I love how Silky got more playing time in Miracle on ice the movie than he did in the actual game vs. the Russians..  Dave, I think you should really give the actor who played you a lot of kudos because if he couldnt skate so well, you might have been cut from the movie!

I for one would nominate Geoff Childs as a great playing partner, most of all because his shot on the 17th at Yale which he holed was the greatest shot on the Biarritz I've ever seen.. :D

As for that Pioppi guy (or should I say Brother Anthony), what's with the earing Tone Loc? Are you some sort of Pirate?.. You are starting to look like Keith Richards in your old age.

You know what Tony as they say.. DEUS TANTUM ME DAMNABIT...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:29:57 AM by Noel Freeman »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 09:25:11 AM »
Noel:

God has already judged me and let's just say She wasn't too impressed.

Anthony

Jim Franklin

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »
I vote Anthony as the Best Caddy (actually a tie with the FBD at Kingsbarns). There is nothing like having a caddy that actually understands what a course is all about.
Mr Hurricane

Noel Freeman

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
You know I often thought Pioppi's life would make great fodder for a movie.. You know a Massachussetts boy makes good from a ne'er do well teen to writer to golden boy caddy and all around gran fromage of all he sees.

Tony, who would play you best in the movie-- I say Pacino.. Childs could be played by Danny DeVito and the guy who skated for Silky in Miracle on ice can play Silky but not talk, just skate.

Anyway, pioppi is a great protaganist.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:52:21 PM by Noel Freeman »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Jim, Noel:

You both have very good taste and I appreciate your compliments. For the movie, though, I'd like somebody a little younger to play me.

By the way, "To the Nines: The Movie" is in the developmental stage.

Anthony

JMorgan

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »

By the way, "To the Nines: The Movie" is in the developmental stage.

I thought the working title was My Left Middle Finger?  What happened?

John_Conley

SILK: A GREAT hockey player
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
you remember Stevie Y ( hall of famer) but not Davey S ( cup of coffee- to go)?
that's odd-

You're selling yourself WAY short, Schmails-style.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=4953

Your 12 games with the Wings in 84-85 narrowly missed MacLeish's stint in 83-84.  I'm sure it would have been great to reminisce.

Was the German league fun?  It looks like it.  Shorter seasons and from your production you were obviously a superstar there.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
It warms me to know that this kind of loving abuse still exists. I'll even bet some of you laughed while writing and reading this thread!

OT.....yep, it does the body and soul good.....once in awhile!

Feel free to take some pictures, too....

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
Jim:

That was a different group of people that my people no longer engage in conversation.

I don't know about Silky, but I'm not laughing. I haven't laughed this little since he was my partner at Reinassance and we got our butts whipped by some guy with no ass, as Silky kept pointing out.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back