News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Kennemer (pictures)
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »
The grand European autumn trip wound its way to a finish at Kennemer - another fine Dutch course.

Of all the Colt courses on the continent, Kennemer would appear to be the one where the history is most clearly documented with the club in possession of a comprehensive set of correspondence - right down to the great man's clear affection for the captain's wife! In addition to the Colt course, Frank Pennink built a third nine which I did not get to see. It forms half of the composite course for the Dutch Open which tells you something!

I would say that Kennemer lacks the visual splendour of Noordwijk, and some of the grandeur of Royal Hague, but remains a fine course with a few memorable holes, notably the short 15th?

Here are some pictures. I am afraid that my addled memory can't remember all the holes too well without having course guide etc to hand. The 15th is the hole played to a very elevated green with a huge (30 ft?)ft fall off at the front which even the not naturally boastful Colt spoke well of. The 9th and 10th also stick in the mind - the former is the hole swinging uphill to the white-side of the clubhouse. And the course has a fine finish from 15 in.

If you have made it this far, some light relief is surely in order! The merry band of brothers who played six rounds together through France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Some guy from Morgan Stanley turned up for the Morfontaine leg!

Andrew Hastie

Re:Kennemer (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:59:05 PM »
Nice job once again Philip.

Just like you mentioned, Kennemer is good Links but not so memorable to play.
I guess you could say it's a balanced course. Nothing sticks in your mind but you do enjoy it.
Originally the bank in front of the 15 green was all sand. One big blowout.

A photo from my Dutch Open experience.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »
Nice pics once again.  I love some of the bunkering, especially in the middle of what looks like the middle of the second nine.

Was that some sort of covered practice area to the left of the ninth hole (I'm guessing)?

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
Absolutely marvelous tour, Philip.  Thanks for all of the pictures and commentary!    

(And I sincerely hope one of you gentlemen convinces Mr. Turner to write that much-needed Colt book.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:37:39 PM by JMorgan »

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »
John - I think you are right about the covered practice area.

Andrew - thanks for the picture! Did you make the cut, or is that a rude question?! I would love to see an old picture of the 15th as you describe - it must have looked wonderful. I thought it was a fun hole - obviously we would have played it from a fair way forward compared to the tournament, but you still had to hit a grown up shot into a strong wind from the right. I would not have to play recovery shots to that green in front of an audience!

Roger Tufts

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
Slowly hopping over many other places in my book as a sweet, enjoyable, and challenging golf destination.

Keep it up with the pictures, they look great.

A lot of the bunkering here reminds me of County Sligo
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Mike Mosely

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:31:09 PM »
wow!  thanks phil!  great pix!

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
A link to the photo of the old bunkering on the 15th.
http://www.frankpont.com/PDF%20files/Colt%20en%20Kennemer.pdf
What a shame it's gone.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »
Andrew,
kudos on posting the Dutch Open pic. Hope the game settles into the European arena. Not a great score, but at least a tad  :o better than Herr Langer, jr. ;)

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
Thanks for the picture Andrew. We must hope and assume that Frank does the right thing and restores the 15th to its more splendid earlier version.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back