News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

A golfing week in SoCal
« on: November 16, 2007, 01:27:06 AM »
My son and I are coming to LAX for a week starting Novemebr 30.  I'm looking for some suggestions on places to play.  The obvious requirements are that the courses be interesting, not outrageously priced, have some value for the price, preferably have replay rates and, of course, are accessible.

On the agenda so far are Oak Valley and the PGA of SoCal in Beaumont (where we've played before and liked);  Rustic Canyon ('cause I just know y'all are going to say so).  Barona Creek looked interesting on TV a couple of weeks ago.  We've been to Oak Quarry in Riverside and Lost Canyons, and maybe will do again, but are looking for alternatives.  Suggestions???

Patrick Kiser

Re:A golfing week in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:36:48 AM »
Several have recommended Long Beach muni and San Clemente muni.

I haven't played either ... yet.

Soule Park up in Ventura looks sweet.

Bring plenty of balls for Lost Canyons.  Gonna need them...

Good luck.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:44:14 AM »

Soule Park up in Ventura looks sweet.

Bingo, Patrick! I second that. You won't be disappointed.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:04:09 AM »
Bryan

I would strongly recommend Soule Park with Ojai to follow at afternoon rates, in lieu of Lost Canyons.  Not far from Rustic Canyon, in South Cal terms.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:43:16 AM »
i really liked Barona C.
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:53:11 AM »
Brian,
Soule Park and Ojai are great suggestions, as is Barona, but I want to forewarn you that Barona isn't the easiest course in the world to get to.

Where are you staying?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  The price at Soule Park certainly looks good.  Ojai looks good too.

We've just booked airplane.  Now I'm trying to work out the golf itinerary.  Then I'll figure out where to stay.  Likely we'll stay at two or three different places (maybe a couple of days north, a couple of days east and a couple of days south of LA proper.  I don't want to spend a lot of time in LA traffic getting somewhere each morning.

Any other suggestions south of th ecity, down toward Barona Creek?  Is Torrey Pines worth trying to get to?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
Here is the rally call:

Who is available for golf on December 1st @ Rustic Canyon?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:27:51 AM »
Bryan,

Why not just stay at Barona; they have 450 rooms and you might save a little cash with a stay and play package.

As far as Torrey you have 3 options:

You can try to get a tee time one week in advance starting at 7:00pm (619-570-1234). Good luck here; visitor rates at the South Course on the weekend are $163.

You can make an advanced tee time by paying an extra $35 per person, the North course is a very pleasant round of golf; visitor rate there is $100 on the weekend.

You can just show up and get on the wait list; golfers stand a good chance to get off within an hour or two during the week; much tougher on the weekend. You can also line up, ala Bethpage, for the early times. The first reserved tee times are at 7:00am, any times before that are reserved for walk ups. You place your bag in line on the porch in front of the starters window during the week, you line up in your car in the parking lot on the weekends.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Joe Perches

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:42 AM »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
Tommy, there is a big football game that day.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I would second Angeles National and add Industry Hills Eisenhour course near LA. You might also consider Santa Barbara as a stop over if you get out to Ojai. Sandpiper is a nice oceanside course with a couple of spectacular holes on the cliffs and beach and Rancho San Marcos is a wooded layout in a valley setting. Prices are much better during the week than weekends. Malibu is a good price and can be fun to play tucked back into the canyons.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »
My walk up round at Torrey Pines South is one of my great golfing memories.  I think it was a bit cheaper in what must have been at least 5 years ago.  It only took an hour to get out and is a great place to wait.

I also believe that the 17th is one of the great forgotten medium length par 4's in golf.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:53:46 PM »
I think I would stay north and play Rustic, Ojai, Soule, La Purisma... avoid the LA/San Diego crush.  Sandpiper - is it open?  Rancho San Marcos is very good between Santa Barbara and La Purisma up in the mountains by Lake Cachuma.  Everything listed is much more tranquil than fighting your way around the LA-San Diego vortex.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
John is correct. Torrey Pines is a great place to wait at. Lots of stuff going on there.

Lynn, that is the day of a big game; Dorell's last, if you pay attention to the tabloids. Still, we can check via those beautiful RC wide screens--that is if they are working!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
I think I would stay north and play Rustic, Ojai, Soule, La Purisma... avoid the LA/San Diego crush.  Sandpiper - is it open?  Rancho San Marcos is very good between Santa Barbara and La Purisma up in the mountains by Lake Cachuma.  Everything listed is much more tranquil than fighting your way around the LA-San Diego vortex.

Sandpiper is open and no work is being done on it.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
Nobody has mentioned "The Best Course in California" Trump National LA?????
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:00:09 PM by Rob_Waldron »

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
Here is the rally call:

I'm in. Let's maybe do Soule in conjunction in some way.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »
Here is the rally call:

I would love to join you, if I'm in town that weekend.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »
Trump National: Not outrageously priced? Value for the dollar? The only rationalization to play this course is one's desire to be seperated from a lot of dough just to say you did it ! Better than Pebble per the Donald? He's obviously  succumbed to years of inhaling hair spray!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:58 PM »
No can do on the 1st.  Bummer.  Would have been nice to get out there with some GCAers.  Rain check.

I'm sure Bryan's head is spinning with all the options.

Looks like the first annual ButterBall Classic the day after thanksgiving is gonna happen afterall.  Got 12:30pm tee times for our alternate ball fivesome at San Clemente Muni.  Should be ... interesting.

Thank goodness for redial at 6am today...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:42:23 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »
I would head up to RC/Soule on the weekend, then down to TP/Barona early during the week. If you get the bags in line @ TP by 5:30AM you should be able to tee it up fairly early & get finished in a reasonable amount of time.

If you have time for some Bell Sr., be sure to see the front side @ San Clemente, or Camp Pendleton which is open Mon-Thurs to the public.

Patrick, congrats on getting a time. The most interesting part might be walking back to the clubhouse after about the 13th hole...... ;). SC can be painfully slow.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:06:59 PM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 11:31:11 PM »
Yes, the head is spinning.  Time to digest the suggestions and map out a route.  Thanks for all the input.  

I think TP is out if it requires being there at 5:30 am.  It's not that high on the must play list.

Tommy, David,

If we can do Rustic and Soule in a day that would be great.  How long a drive is it between the two?  Is there enough daylight at this time of year?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:33 AM »
Trump National: Better than Pebble per the Donald? He's obviously  succumbed to years of inhaling hair spray!

He succumbed, a long time ago, to years of looking in the mirror.  

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 02:47:05 AM »
If you do head down to Barona-   other good alternatives to Oak Valley and PGA SoCal are

Tom Lehman's  Arroyo Trabuco-  a lot of fun and very reasonable -  in Mission Viego

Oak Quarry-  in Riverside probably the best of the bunch out that way.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back