News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JimFatsi

Pete Dye in New York at Pound Ridge
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »
Some photos of the new Pound Ridge GC, a Pete Dye course that is scheduled to open next summer, enjoy! High End daily fee, scheduled to open July 08.

Par 3, rock outcropping from tee

Par 3, rock outcropping, from behind green

Short Par 4, green sits to left of center (photo)

Fairway bunker

Narrow par 5

Same par 5, green site, to the left, a bunker/cart path combo? Not sure.

Pot bunker, fairway

Par 3

Same par 3, right side of green

Par 4 -  from tee, 17th  

Par 4 from tee, 17th, zoom

Fairway bunkers 18th Hole

Ryan Farrow

Re:Pete Dye in New York at Pound Ridge
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:37:18 PM »
Maintenance nightmare!!!!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:16:04 AM »
That looks like the place that my Cub Scout den went camping.  Say it ain't so!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:41:18 AM »
I see a lot of familiar elements that were employed at Wintonbury Hills, which is a good sign.

Rich--

I thought I had read that this was just a complete re-do of an existing course.  I don't know when that one was originally built.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »

I thought I had read that this was just a complete re-do of an existing course.  I don't know when that one was originally built.

It was a super low key 9 hole course with literally a shack for a clubhouse. Similar to Hotchkiss in style if not actual design. I always assumed it would be plowed under for houses and was surprised when the 18 holes was announced.

Thanks for posting the pics, you can't see too much from the road.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:59:06 AM »
Is it just me... or does these pictures make The Stadium Course at PGA West look like the back nine at Pacific Grove on a very calm day?

Will be interesting to see what it plays like in real life. I already lost a sleeve of Titleist's just looking at the photos.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:05:16 AM by Eric Franzen »

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »
These bunkers are definite hazards!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
Mike,
It most certanily won't be low-key anymore, not with $200.00+ green fees and a marketing plan that positions it as a 'Golf Destination', not unlike a Pinehurst or a Pebble Beach.

It will probably fill the bill for those players who don't, or don't want, to join elsewhere, yet have the resources for 20 or 30 or more rounds at that number.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
I've tried to convince myself otherwise, and I have played some really good Pete Dye courses as well as a couple stinkers.

But...

Ugh.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
If Pete Dye really designed that golf course then I think that age has finally caught up with his imagination and he needs a vacation.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
Geoffrey,

I wonder  if Pete even saw this course, its list on the Dye Designs (Perry's website) and even the Pound Ridge website lists it as a Pete and Perry Dye course.

"The golf course is currently under construction and we plan to open early summer 2008. It is a Pete and Perry Dye designed world class championship golf course and will operate as a daily fee public golf facility."

http://www.poundridgegolf.com/

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:00:31 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »
He saw it!

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB118980653444028005.html

The man responsible for all this trouble was standing on the mound of what will soon be the regular 18th tee, debating with his entourage whether a 75-foot-tall maple about 130 yards out posed too severe an obstacle for everyday players. "Anybody dumb enough to play the hole from back there," he said, sweeping an arm towards the championship tee 20 yards further back, "can try to work around it if they want to."

Finally Mr. Dye rendered a verdict: "We can cut it down later if it gets in the way, but don't cut it down now. There'll be some bellyaching, but who cares?"

Let's just be glad that Tom Doak has retired his Doak O's.

By the way Pete, I know about 1500 guys who care!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
Isnt the hazard on the first picture shown effectively double its size because any tee ball that finds that rock will go in it?

I must admit, I've never seen a par 3 like that before...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »
I'd like nothing more than the golf ball concession at this place....I could retire happy and rich very quickly.....this does not look user friendly for the player who has an index above 10.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »
There is a fun-to-look-at aerial of this course under construction. Reminds me of the giant boulder-ringed sandbox I built for my boys when they were young, Tonka toys included.  ;D

head to http://maps.live.com/  and type "High Ridge Rd., Pound Ridge, NY" into the search box. Once you find the course click on 'aerial view' then go to the 'bird's eye view' to close in on the construction site.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom Dunne

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
Craig Edgmand,

Pete Dye has definitely spent time on the site--I met him there last summer. Maybe not as much time as Perry, but he has been involved at Pound Ridge in a meaningful way.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
When Alice sees this, Pete will be in trouble.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
6 hour weekend round?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JimFatsi

Re: Pete Dye in New York at Pound Ridge
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:52:52 PM »
anyone play this yet?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:38:38 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
At a $235 rack rate and $175 twilight I will be interested to se how this course does even in wealthy Westchester county.  The fees are double what other higher end daily fees in the general area charge. 

Mike Mosely

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Guys, its really a Perry Dye golf course.  Perry is really the primary architect.  Tim, I dont see much that looks like Wintonbury at all.

Basically, the dyes were hemmed in by a lot of environmentally sensitive areas.  So much of the course rns north-south on a tight parcel, while the rest tries to make due playing around the environmental areas.

It's still a lot of fun, if pricey.  I got a chance to visit this weekend while in MYC from Boston for a couple days visiting family.  I don't think they'll be able to command $235.  From what I understand, much of the $40 million cost went to dynamiting rocks.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
I know for a fact that this GC is primarily a Perry Dye project--he has made 10 or 20 times as many visits over the years as has Pete.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »
I just LOOKS like a Perry Dye course. You can tell when Pete is the primary designer. These holes look way too defined to be pete dye creations.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
I'm not sure if it really looks like fun?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back