News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Cherry Hills?
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »
I'm playing Cherry Hills for the first time tomorrow.  Is there anything in particular I should look for, note, or expect?  In light of the other topics on the first page of the board right now, how does it compare to other Flynn works?  Are there Flynn characteristics that I will see in it?  Are there even such things as typical Flynn Characteristics.  I see that nobody said it was their favorite Flynn course.  I tried using the search function but didn't see much prior discussion about the course.  Thanks.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Cherry Hills?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »
Bundle up.

Tomorrow: Considerable clouds early. Some decrease in clouds later in the day. Cooler. High around 45F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.

Is there anywhere with wilder weather swings than Denver?  Apparently the high is 71 today....

As for the course, don't know, never played it.  I've seen it lots of times from outside the fence though... and plenty on TV!

TH

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »
I played it years ago (1986) and loved it! Very exacting off
the tee with a good amount of turn on the holes which
makes for great angles. I also remember super par 3's.          The greens were very fast and extremely true. I don't recall that they were that undulating,but there was a good amount of tilt, so stay below the hole! Hope you have a great time, take some pictures!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:37:14 PM »
Bundle up.

Tomorrow: Considerable clouds early. Some decrease in clouds later in the day. Cooler. High around 45F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.

Is there anywhere with wilder weather swings than Denver?  Apparently the high is 71 today....

As for the course, don't know, never played it.  I've seen it lots of times from outside the fence though... and plenty on TV!

TH

Aww Huck,

Thats just good ol fashioned mountain living.  And bundle up at 45 degrees?  That just means its time to put on the pants and put the summer shorts away.  ;)

As for wild weather swings, I've heard they don't get any more crazy than they do in Melbourne, Aus.  Perhaps James B could verify that for us.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
Kalen - the 45 didn't concern me as much as the 31 low and the wind.  One would have to be quite hearty not to bundle up in that.  But then again you mountain folk are hearty stock.  ;)

Tony Petersen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
Cherry Hills is an absolute pleasure to play... Though I personally feel that it somewhat over-rated among the top-100... And yes, I have played it more than 5 times ;-)

Still, have a great time and enjoy!!!
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot as well the one time I played it this summer. The front nine is good but the back is where the best holes lie. It is fairly straight forward, I would guess the greens by this time of year won't be really fast (they were not the day I played so staying below any hole wasn't imperative). I really like the last seven holes even though they ate me alive after I had been playing fairly well before then.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »
More general slope to the greens than you will initially see. Even though it is in the city, Denver is built on a long slope which has a definite effect. Find something level to compare to- the clubhouse eaves, for example- where available.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back