News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Televisions impact on GCA
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »
I was just reading Tom Fazio's "Golf Course Designs" where the author mentions that the early days of televised tournaments resulted in a bunch of courses where the clients frequently put emphasis on the designs of the four last holes, since the TV coverage back then usually was limited to that part of the course.

Have any similar trends, or just unique cases, evolved during the 70's, 80's, 90's or now, where the possibility of potential TV coverage dictates or more or less influence parts of the design?

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Televisions impact on GCA
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »
On GCA we may love to see a ball snake along the ground but TV loves a splash.  So the Island Hole will never be anything but no 17th at Sawgrass. To my eye it also explains why the 18th looks exactly the same on all the other regular tour courses.

At Augusta the water around the turn shakes things up and then real tension starts – can X hold on?  I’m just guessing but have the TV audience become conditioned to tune in and see thrills and spills on the finishing holes. Whereas for the Masters we’re all in our seats early?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »
Watching the final round of the HSBC, today, I felt as sick as the player's looked while playing the home hole.

Watching the best of the best throw-up all over themselves, in that manner, has only poor gca to blame.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
  When John Fought was designing his course at Reserve Vineyards sight-lines and camera positions were built into the equation. If I am misinformed on this, please correct me.
  I suspect this might have affected bunker placement, their contouring and facing.
  The prospectus drawing had the 18th holes of his course and the Cupp course sharing a large green. I wonder if this was shelved for architecture or agronomics reasons, or if it would have had a negative impact on crowd control and granstands.

JESII

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:34:17 PM »
Watching the final round of the HSBC, today, I felt as sick as the player's looked while playing the home hole.

Watching the best of the best throw-up all over themselves, in that manner, has only poor gca to blame.

I didn't get the chance to see the actual manner with which these guys were covering themselves in throw up but...blaming poor GCA for all of it seems a bit of a stretch...who designed the course?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
...who designed the course?

Nelson & Haworth

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »
I assume this includes television announcers impact. I was watching a telecast of an event with a horseshoe shaped green with contours to allow you to putt from one side to the other. The commentator called it goofy golf and said all that it was missing was the clown face with the big nose and mouth to putt through.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
I was just reading Tom Fazio's "Golf Course Designs" where the author mentions that the early days of televised tournaments resulted in a bunch of courses where the clients frequently put emphasis on the designs of the four last holes, since the TV coverage back then usually was limited to that part of the course.

Have any similar trends, or just unique cases, evolved during the 70's, 80's, 90's or now, where the possibility of potential TV coverage dictates or more or less influence parts of the design?

I am not completely certain of this, but after having seen several TPC courses, I am of the mindset that they are designed for television, especially the last several holes.   Examples which come to mind are River Highlands, Avenel and Jasna Polana.  I'll have to think about this a little more, but usually, they include a near-driveable par 4, a par 3 with water well in play, and a tougher 18th hole.  I think Jasna Polana is the only one of the three mentioned with the 18th as a par 5, however, it plays downhill and, although it's been a few years for me since seeing it last, it may be reachable in two, but with some water fronting the green.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Brian Laurent

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
Not so much design related...but TV has definitely brought on Augusta-itus.  Perfectly manicured and greens that run 16 on the stimp.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back