News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Favorite Tee Markers
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »
I was studying the photos of Sebonack and noticed the tee markers used there.  Those branches are used often, either real or fake.  Augusta National has them (real) and Philadelphia Country does (fake).  They don't do much for me, probably due to the proliferation of them.  Pine Valley turns them on end and that's an improvement.  I love the unique train tracks at Yeaman's Hall.  I'm not to crazy about the Merion tee markers (concrete poured into a paper soda fountain cup?) though I can't think of anything better as they are so old and traditional.  The disks used in UK are OK but far from unique.  The new ones at Rolling Green--machined aluminum in the form of the caddie boy weather vane (bring back the old logo!) look terrible.  I don't like the round colored balls either.  

What are some of your favorite tee markers?  For the golf architects out there, have you ever designed or influenced the tee markers at a club?

Kyle Harris

Re:Favorite Tee Markers
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:28:43 AM »
Lookaway's do it by far for me. It's the club logo which was the logo of the Lookaway Dairy Farm, based on the stylized initials of the farm's owner. The are metal cast and stick upright.

The logo on the golf ball:
www.lookawaygc.com
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:29:13 AM by Kyle Harris »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:38:36 AM »
My favorite markers are at the course in Arizona built for Roy Rogers by Kavanaugh.  They use pistols.  I don't know if this was the architects idea...I also seem to remember Trigger in the clubhouse...stuffed of course.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:46:36 AM »
Double Eagle has the best - none!

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Wayne,

I'm sure you know this: the round tee markers are for safety reasons so that shanked shots don't come flying back at the shanker,  but rather take out some poor unsuspecting soul standing off to the side.

Favorite Tee Markers: Murphy's Irish Open used markers that looked like full pint glasses.

Anthony

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »
Tom,

Is Double Eagle rated for handicap purposes?  Do they have single or multiple tee locations?  Tom Paul is interested in a single tee for all classes of players and the architectural implications of such a design feature.

John,

None of the guns are loaded, right?  Every hole would have the potential to be a duel hole if they were  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:52:25 AM by Wayne Morrison »

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »
a good topic Wayne

I remember once I stopped by Crystla Downs late in October and late in the day to get something in the pro shop...well everyone was gone by then, so I just took in the tremendous views for a few minutes....I noticed their tee markers, just little pieces of wood, I think, with "CD" printed on them...boy , would one of those make a nice paperwight on my desk, I thought....

alas, this good Catholic  boy's conscience saved the day, and CD didn't have to replace a tee marker after all...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Paul Payne

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
I like the markers at The Harvester. they use old iron hand tools in keeping with the farm theme. they are different for each level tee and are small so they are unobtrusive.

Have you ever seen Kauai Lagoons? They have massive cement statues of exotic asian animals (elephants, tigers, etc) They are so bizarr they are almost apealing... almost.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
I seem to recall The Pit in Pinehurst names their tees after the markers that are being used:  Screw, Spike, Half Rail Anchor, and Rail Anchor.  I remember those were pretty cool.  I think Pete Dye Golf Club might have done something similar but I can't remember.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:36:10 AM »
Slightly off topic, but how 'bout a common flaw of some course tee markers these days:  you must get so close to them to know which tee box you are playing from!  I find it somewhat frustrating to be playing a new course, leave a hole and begin walking to the next, then having to guess where say the blue tees are b/c next to the black and green tees they aren't easily distinguished from more than 10 yards or so.  Am I the only one that feels this way?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Schofield

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
I seem to recall The Pit in Pinehurst names their tees after the markers that are being used:  Screw, Spike, Half Rail Anchor, and Rail Anchor.  I remember those were pretty cool.  I think Pete Dye Golf Club might have done something similar but I can't remember.

Interestingly, I was going to comment that I disliked the tee markers at The Pit.  I found them difficult to tell which was which from a distance.  I believe the spike and the half rail anchor looked an awful lot alike until you got closer to them.

My favorite tee markers were those at Tobacco Road.  They used a farming theme where the progression from back to front tees was mirrored in the type of tool used as a tee marker.  The back tees were Rippers where the front tees were Cultivators.  The easier the course was from a set of tees the more "nimble" the tool, if that makes sense.

Slightly off topic, but how 'bout a common flaw of some course tee markers these days:  you must get so close to them to know which tee box you are playing from!  I find it somewhat frustrating to be playing a new course, leave a hole and begin walking to the next, then having to guess where say the blue tees are b/c next to the black and green tees they aren't easily distinguished from more than 10 yards or so.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

Some earlier posts talked about real or fake sections of tree branches used for tees.  I've found that the ones that are cut at a 45 degree angle and have the ends painted can be problematic.  The 45 degree angle reflects the light from the clouds, making them all (not just blue, green and/or black) look the same at times.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 10:56:10 AM by David Schofield »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »
Wayne / TE :  Double Eagle has one yardage plaque for each hole, hence the hdcp/rating .  On any given day the caddies will stick a Queen Annes Lace, periwinkle, or whatever is available in the area , flower to guide you for the day, i'm sure related to wind , ability . Pretty cool methinks to hae a flower waiting for your next tee ball.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »
If you're aware of the history behind Adios, the Horseshoes fit quite well.

I'm trying to recall the markers at Due Process, another course with a horse racing theme.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »
I like simplicity in the golf course accessories.  The last thing I need is every accessory telling me where I am....again, and again.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »
All time favorites -

1)  The tips at Stanford Golf Club - red for their football team, the Cardinal.  Front tees - blue and golf for their hated rivals, the Cal Bears!  ;D

2)  The Chicken Tees (literally a chicken cutout!) on the other side of the lake on #11 at Tokatee.  8)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, Pawleys Island, SC: (from longest to shortest) Pintail, Mallard, Wood Duck, Redhead--of course, all of them birds one is wont to find in the area.  They look like decoys basically, and are accompanied by a colored block for ease of identification.

The tee markers at Dan Maples' The Witch in Myrtle are painted cypress "knees," and are pretty cool.  If only they'd change the pin system from lagstick color to flag color...
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Michael Ryan

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
I liked the replica's of the US Capitol Building at Congressional.

What I really liked was the simple red balls that marked the back tees at Shinnecock.  Something about simplicity that I really enjoy.

Mike

Jason Connor

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »
Ah yes, I liked the ducks are Caledonia.

The crappy 9 holer I learned to play on in Keyser WV (which was founded by former pro football player John Rokisky and currently partially owned by former pro baseball player John Kruk) was named Polish Pines and the tee markers were upside down pine trees.

I never gave it much thought, but I remember people my dad would bring to the course were frequently amused by them.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
Let's lock this one down.

The tee markers at Prison View on the grounds of the Louisiana State Penitentiary are handcuffs, welded shut.

The tee markers at Laurel Hill on the grounds of the former D.C. jail are little watchtowers, miniatures of watchtowers still visible from the course.

It sounds like people like tee markers that capture the "genius of place."  Even better, they manifest the sacred -- although the two examples above manifest the profane!

Mark

Michael Robin

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »
I kinda like Ballyneal's.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 10:24:57 PM »
Squirrels at Royal Oaks, Vancouver, WA.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 10:25:22 PM by Pete_Pittock »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
The Dunes Club in Michigan the 9-hole gem also has no tee markers. The winner of the previous hole has the choice of where the group hits from. I would also add that this is one the most challenging but ruggedly beautiful courses you will ever play. Another example of high quality Mike Keiser owned golf . Also in close proximity to Doak's acclaimed Lost Dunes Club.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »
If memory serves me Sienna Plantation outside Houston has fancy Texas tee markers (in the shape of Texas).

Gerry B

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
the bells at atlantic city country club are my favorites - adds to the ambience - especially when you take a 1st timer who have no idea that the practice putting green is the 1st tee

Brian Cenci

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »
Someone mentioned The Harvester already, if I recall when you play the tips they are "the reeper" tees and have reeper markers, pretty neat.  Some other course had something similar to this but I can't remember.  I've always been a fan of Crystal Downs'...simple.  I actually like Pine Needles with just a big metal pine cone.  Those are the ones that stick out to me.  I seem to remember cool ones at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, but I could be wrong and can't remember what they were.  
     I think courses don't make them too nice or cool because people might be more inclined  to gank them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back