News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

metro NY's best Redan
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »
Subject to debate--this is the best that I play.  The trees behind the green will be missing next spring--they have been tagged for clearing.

Jordan Wall

Re:metro NY's best Redan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:47:37 PM »
Piping Rock?

mark chalfant

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
Ive always liked  Westhampton and Somerset Hill's  Redans

ps   Jordan, im pretty sure it is  Piping Rock's   (#3)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:17:15 PM »
Fairfield
Sleepy Hollow
However, there is something about the geometric simplicity, the clean lines, the beautiful movement on the green, the challenge of the tee ball, the depth of the front left bunker--all of this and more makes this the special one.  The picture is but a tease--one must play this hole a few times to make it overcome the buzz of the above mentioned redans.  This hole is an aquired taste that becomes greater and greater.  MetroNY is full of great redans, I think that I've only missed a couple, so far this is the one that southes my appetite.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
The Knoll has an interesting spine running through the center of it.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:59:05 AM »

The white stuff is dandruff blow off from the shoulder pads up the street.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:59:18 AM by Kyle Harris »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:13:06 AM »
Kyle,

Somerset ? For some reason I don't remember the pine trees in the background..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:39:37 AM by Donnie Beck »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:16:51 AM »
Donnie,

That is the 2nd at Somerset Hills from Mine Mountain Road, looking across the 8th. That was taken almost two years ago, maybe they've been removed since.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:28 AM »
Donnie Beck,

I thought that the spine running through the 3rd hole at The Knoll was a very interesting variation.

Has anyone else come across a redan with a spine running through the putting surface ?

NGLA has a number of spines, but they're mostly in the fairways.

RMD,

Are you including reverse Redans such as the 13th at Morris County ?

I prefer redans that must be approached from below the level of the green or at the level of the green.  Redan configured greens that sit well below the tee don't offer the playing options that their kin do.

Of the courses I've played in the Met Area Piping Rock's appeals to me the most.

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 09:06:45 AM »

I prefer redans that must be approached from below the level of the green or at the level of the green.  Redan configured greens that sit well below the tee don't offer the playing options that their kin do.

That is why I think Yale's Redan is over rated and in fact one of the poorer redans.  Visually it is cool, but as far as shot execution it isn't very rewarding.  It may be as simple as the angle from the tee, imagine how cool it would be if the tee was further to the right.

That being said, the downhill redan at Mountain Lake is one of the best.  Talk about a hole that rewards the proper shot execution.  Not only that, but from the tee it is so neat to be able to watch what the ball does once on the green.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »
Redan configured greens that sit well below the tee don't offer the playing options that their kin do.

My favorite, Sleepy Hollow, certainly sits well below the tee but I think it still offers a number of options given the severity of the slope.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
You must mean besides the fourth at National, correct?  None of these other holes are quite in the same league as that one.

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »
You must mean besides the fourth at National, correct?  None of these other holes are quite in the same league as that one.

Is it me, or does the one at NGLA seem to defy the laws of gravity.  How difficult would it be to recreate that redan?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
Though the Hamptons are where the NYC's go to relax, I do not include them as really metro-NY.  Is there a better Redan than NGLA's 4th? The 3rd hole at Torrey Pines has the ridge to rival the 4th, but unfortunately, Rees failed to visualize the similarites or appreciate the opportunity to create something brilliant--a true lost opportunity.

Gerry B

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »
as great as NGLA #4 is - i have always  really liked #7 at Shinnecock

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:50:35 AM »
Shinneythingy's Redan

Westhampton's Redan

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 05:50:43 AM »
I don't know if anyone can continue what Tommy started, but it would be cool and maybe revealing to see one picture after another of the best Redans.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
I've always loved the second at Somerset Hills.  I think the best reverse redan that I have seen in the NY area (especially from Tillinghast) is #14 at Suneagles.  It is one of those holes worth going out of your way to see.  

Gerry B

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »
the reverse redan at forsgate is really great as are the other 3 one shotters -

Ted Kramer

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »

The only one I've played.
Most exciting tee shot I've ever hit.
I was so friggin excited to see and play that hole. . .
It is hard for me to believe that I often remember #11 as the better par 3.

-Ted

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back