News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

Re:Erin Hills Front Nine Overview - What would you change?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 07:38:01 AM »
When I played Erin Hills this summer I was told that the "Bye" hole was originally established as the 19th hole in the routing. The nines were later reversed in an effort to have the clubhouse as the backdrop for the 18th hole and the bye hole was stranded in the middle of the round. I was also told that the USGA had no interest in using the Dell hole and would incorporate the bye hole in its stead.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
The nines were not flipped...hole numbers 9 and 18 were flipped.  The party line that the Dell hole will not be used is just that...a party line.  It will be used if a US Open arrives.  Who cares about the Jr. Girls.

Will E

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 08:10:08 AM »
This might sound harsh but I would start over with a new routing that doesn't require so many blind shots to very difficult targets.

Put me down as one who enjoyed Erin Hills but still sees it as an opportunity lost.

Would everyone that is ga-ga over this place like it so much if the bunkers were clean?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 09:31:22 AM »
This might sound harsh but I would start over with a new routing that doesn't require so many blind shots to very difficult targets.

Put me down as one who enjoyed Erin Hills but still sees it as an opportunity lost.

Would everyone that is ga-ga over this place like it so much if the bunkers were clean?

I was never in a bunker so I can't really comment how they play.  I will say that because they are realitively out of play that I am glad that they appear to be so penal.  So no..I would not like the course as much if the bunkers were flat easy to hit out of saucers.  note:  I have the same opinion about Pacific Dunes which is another course I played without ever being in a bunker.

Since you don't like blind shots to difficult targets have you considered changing your name from Shooter to CupCake?  I am not that good of a golfer but did play the correct tees and found the course to be a wonderful experiment in shotmaking where the major defense is at the green.  

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
I stand corrected it was the 9th and 18th that were flipped.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 01:32:29 PM »

BTW, you're right in that the terrain around the original Dell green is far more severe than at Erin Hills, but I think it may be more likely to have an awkward chip at the Erin Hills hole, because the ball is more likely to stay on the side of the bank than at the original where the hillsides are so steep and the ball usually bounces down onto the flatter area on/around the green.

While this might well be true...this photo of my 8 year old son will show you that the ball doesn't always bounce down the hill at the original Dell... he did get up and down... ;D

CHrisB

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
Bart,
Great picture. Nice pin too! That grass indeed looks higher than I remember it in person or in pictures. I like it better that way--it's a more interesting and challenging hole if the ball has a better chance of finding a lie like that one.

Will E

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »
John-
Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.
Perhaps Shinnecock would be a better course played in the dark.
Hitting 4 irons over hills just isn't my idea of a good time. To each his own.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 04:14:09 AM »
John-
Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.
Perhaps Shinnecock would be a better course played in the dark.
Hitting 4 irons over hills just isn't my idea of a good time. To each his own.

CupCake,

I was very lucky that Dan Moore penciled in a set of tees for us to play.  You must have played a bit far back if you had 4 iron all day.  As a matter of fact given the large number of tees you can hit any approach iron you want with some proper advance planning.  Comes with getting older.  I didn't think the greens were over the top but something about them was tough to putt...might have been the size of the hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back