News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Cobb's Creek Collaborators - Restoration Dreams
« Reply #1500 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
Mike Cirba,

To be clear I am more than happy to continue our dialogue if you feel it can be productive and if we can stick to the substance.  

I would prefer it if you would find a new messenger, as the one you have seems to have a hard time controlling himself.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1501 on: May 23, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
I think the total is up to sixteen designers that at one time or another a local sports writer said laid out the golf course:

Wilson, Smith, Klauder, Carr, Lesley, Meehan, Sargent, Flynn, Crump, Travis, Slatterly, Vogdes, Pepper, Corson, and throw in Geo. Thomas and Ben Sayers even though there is no mention of them. That must have been one very large table they all sat and collaborated around in a most friendly effort displaying an ethos of remarkable collaboration and brotherly love.

Lets not insult everyone's intelligence we all know the primary designers were Wilson, Smith and Klauder. Those were the men most often and consistently mentioned, and those are the men (along with Sargent) commended for their untiring efforts at the GAP annual meeting in 1916. All the rest of this windowing dressing meant to exaggerate and inflate the reputation of the golf course.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:47:38 PM by Tom MacWood »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1502 on: May 23, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
I think the total is up to sixteen designers that at one time or another a local sports writer said laid out the golf course:

Wilson, Smith, Klauder, Carr, Lesley, Meehan, Sargent, Flynn, Crump, Travis, Slatterly, Vogdes, Pepper, Corson, and throw in Geo. Thomas and Ben Sayers even though there is no mention of them. That must have been one very large table they all sat and collaborated around in most friendly collaborative effort while displaying an ethos of remarkable collaboration and brotherly love.

Lets not insult everyone's intelligence we all know the primary designers were Wilson, Smith and Klauder. Those were the men most often and consistently mentioned, and those are the men (along with Sargent) commended for their untiring efforts at the GAP annual meeting in 1916. All the rest of this windowing dressing meant to exaggerate and inflate the reputation of the golf course.

Thanks for your ruling Tom MythWood.

Rusty has some papers for you to sign in the back.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1503 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Joe
Good to see you take the high road.

How did you decide on the nine designers for the essay, because as you know there are others mentioned? Was their reputation a consideration, or lack of reputation? Have you found any evidence Thomas was involved.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:08:51 PM by Tom MacWood »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1504 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Joe
Good to see you take the high road. This is a real class operation.

How did you decide on the nine designers for the essay, because as you know there are others mentioned? Was their reputation a consideration, or lack of reputation? Have you found any evidence Thomas was involved.

You really are a beaut Tom. 

Your words are clear:  you will do anything to discredit Mike.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1505 on: May 23, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
Joe
I really don't get into the personalities, or personal attacks. My focus has always been on trying to discover what really happened, even if a well established or beloved tale falls by the wayside. I'm not personally attached or emotionally invested in any of these stories.

Back to the substance of what really happened. How did you decide on the nine designers for the essay, because as you know there are others mentioned? Was their reputation a consideration, or lack of reputation? Have you found any evidence Thomas was involved.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:48:32 PM by Tom MacWood »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1506 on: May 23, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
Joe
I really don't get into the personalities, or personal attacks. My focus has always been on trying to discover what really happened, even if a well established or beloved tale falls by the wayside. I'm not personally attached or emotionally invested in any of these stories.

You are kidding, right?

:>>>>>>)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1507 on: May 23, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
Joe
No, I'm not kidding. If you aren't interested in discussing the essay, or discussing Cobbs Creek, or discussing golf architecture just say the word and I will drop my questions.

How did the process work, how did you decide who was included and excluded from the many named designers, and what evidence have you seen regarding George Thomas.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1508 on: May 23, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Joe
No, I'm not kidding. If you aren't interested in discussing the essay, or discussing Cobbs Creek, or discussing golf architecture just say the word and I will drop my questions.

How did the process work, how did you decide who was included and excluded from the many named designers, and what evidence have you seen regarding George Thomas.

Can you please tell me where in the online document Mike has said Thomas deserves design credit?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #1509 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
Folks,
Does the creation of Cobb's Creek hint at the feelings that private club members had for their public brothers back then?

I'm really happy that these men of some of Philly's most prestigious clubs were out there working to provide quality golf for the non-member.  And I love how Pine Valley opened its doors in '28 for Publinx players.

Are there other examples where the leaders of the private club scene in a city worked together to provide quality municipal golf?

For what it's worth, that's the hidden jewel in this whole story, and why the restoration of CC is so important to me.  It's a testament that describes people of all backgrounds coming together to improve the quality of life for the common man.

Dan,

In "From Fields to Fairways," I wrote about the efforts by the members of St. Paul's Town & Country Club to spread golf in their city. After golf caught on at T&C in the mid-1890s (they went from less than a dozen players when the course opened in 1893 to 600 members in 1899), the members helped to establish two more private clubs in St. Paul (neither of which survived) and then went to the city council to suggest a public course in the city. They had a site and a William Watson design, but the city council turned them down flat. A local newspaper columnist (who decades later became the city's public golf-supporting mayor) wrote that golfers were "dudes, idlers, fools, degenerates, and the game was an idiot's delight." By 1926, the same newspaper was editorializing that St. Paul needed more and better public courses. They couldn't blame the original private club members. They tried.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:40:29 AM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1510 on: May 23, 2012, 10:52:40 PM »
Joe
Never mind, it was in the Cobbs Creek golf course history, Uncovering a Treasure, I mistakenly thought you were involved in someway.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1511 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
"Dudes, idlers, fools, degenerates, and the game was an idiot's delight," other than that we golfer's are pretty good people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #1512 on: May 23, 2012, 11:08:38 PM »
I hate to interupt, but, one of the things I've learned from the many threads on courses from the early 20th Century is that newspaper articles shouldn't be relied upon, as so many of them are flawed/inaccurate/incorrect.

You may continue.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #1513 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
David/Tom,
What, if anything, do you disagree with in post 1495
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31872.msg1196715.html#msg1196715
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:10:15 AM by Dan Herrmann »

TEPaul

« Reply #1514 on: May 24, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
"Joe
I really don't get into the personalities, or personal attacks. My focus has always been on trying to discover what really happened, even if a well established or beloved tale falls by the wayside. I'm not personally attached or emotionally invested in any of these stories."

Uh Huh. right.  :(

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #1515 on: May 24, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
TEPaul,

Since we are such sticklers for accuracy here in the discussion group I feel compelled to point out that Mike C's beach book "at Home" is authored by Bill Bryson not James Brison. He is a terrific writer and I have read several of his works. I highly recommend his memoir of growing up in Des Moines, Iowa "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", a real howler.

Im surprised that your error has gone unnoticed for so long. Where is the outrage?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:30:12 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1516 on: May 24, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
David/Tom,
What, if anything, do you disagree with in post 1495?  
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31872.msg1196715.html#msg1196715

Dan I believed I addressed that post a few posts above.   I disagree with much of it, but for the most part there isn't much in there other than the usual aspersions cast in my and Tom's direction.  Mike keeps posting reposting this same stuff from the online work and elsewhere as if it addresses the concerns raised, but most of it seems rather beside the point.

Did you have something particular relevant in mind that strikes you as unaddressed?  

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:17:30 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1517 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
To better explain to Mike and others what seems to be some very stretched logic and exaggeration, I have broken down the coverage of George Thomas' involvement in the design.

We all know that Thomas respected Wilson and said that Wilson taught him "many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal," and advised him by mail regarding GT's early California designs.  I've asked repeatedly (as has TomM) for any other contemporaneous documentation indicating or even hinting that Thomas might have been involved in any aspect of designing Cobb's, but Mike ignores these questions and continues to repeat the above, throwing in Geoff Shackelford's suppositions about he same fact for good measure.  But no matter how many times he repeats it, there still is only one single statement by George Thomas.  

What we have is a child's game of "telephone" where one item gets passed along and the story changes and grows with each exchange.  It is a good example of how these legends get going, and perhaps a cautionary tale of what happens when we rely on secondary sources instead of first-hand sources:

1.  GT said Wilson taught him "many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal," and advised him by mail regarding GT's early California designs.   GT gave no indication of what "things" he learned and gave no indication of when this took place.  Nothing about GT being at these places during construction, and nothing specifying whether he was at the East Course, West Course or both.
2.  For reasons not explained, G. Shackelford seems to be supposing that the above statement means that George Thomas must have spent time a lot of time studying both Merion courses and Cobb's during the construction phases of each.   A large part of seems to be supposition, but given that Geoff isn't making any claims about Thomas having helped designed these courses, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but so far as I can tell it is not supported anything other than the single statement by GT.
3.  Mike  treats  Nos. 1 and 2 above as if they were two different sources of information, even though the only contemporaneous info is the one GT quote.   Mike quotes G.Shackelford to try and establish GT was there studying the courses during construction, and then quotes GT (apparently from Geoff's book.)   Really there is just GT's statement that he learned many things.  
4.  From there Mike really gets going.  (my emphasis)
  - He lists Thomas as one of "The Designers" of the Cobb's Creek Golf Course.  (ToC)
  - He claims Thomas "spent considerable time 'learning' from Hugh Wilson onsite during the design and creation of Cobb's Creek." (p.5)
  - He claims "it is likely" that Thomas contributed design ideas and that those design ideas were "factored into the final collaborative mix."(p.5)
  - He claims that Thomas was "regularly on site" with Hugh Wilson as Wilson "designed Merion (both courses) . . .." (p. 104)
  - He claims that being "regularly on site" helped take Thomas' "course design knowledge to the next level." (p.104)
  - He again claims that  it seems that Thomas spent "a good deal of time at Cobb's Creek with Hugh Wilson." (p. 104)
  - He claims that "it is likely" that Thomas' "opinion was sought, valued, and considered, by Hugh Wilson and his other friends of the Philadelphia School who collaboratively designed the course. (p. 106)
 -  He again claims that it seems that Thomas spent "a good deal of time" at Cobb's Creek. (p. 106)

All that from a single statement by George Thomas that he "learned many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal."

So far as I know, George Thomas said . . .
 -  NOTHING about when he visited Merion or Cobbs.
 -  NOTHING about Thomas being there during the "design and creation" or even the "construction" of either course.
 -  NOTHING about "regularly" visiting either course or spending "a good deal of time" at either course.
 -  NOTHING about whether he visited "both courses" at Merion.
 -  NOTHING about offering his design advice to Hugh Wilson about either course.
 -  NOTHING about his advice being sought, valued, considered, or followed at Cobb's.  
 -  NOTHING about being one of "The Designers" of Cobbs, or of helping "design and create" the course.

I keep asking if there as direct contemporaneous evidence supporting any of this, but so far there appears to be NOTHING.  At best Mike's indirect posts just keep repeating the one quote and Geoff Shackelford's suppositions from that fact.

This is one of many good examples of the kind of stretching and exaggerating throughout the work.   GT wrote that respected and learned from Hugh Wilson at Cobbs and Merion, and next thing you know he is out there at Cobb's on a regular basis, helping Wilson design Cobb's.  

I still don't understand why the same logic doesn't apply to Merion?  GT learned from Wilson at Merion, so by Mike's logic he must have helped design it? Wilson learned from CBM at NGLA, so I guess Wilson helped design NGLA as well?

I also don't understand, if this was the collaborative project as described, why Thomas singles out Wilson?  He describes learning from Crump at Pine Valley, but doesn't mention Crump as having any involvement at Cobb's.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:46:24 PM by DMoriarty »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #1518 on: May 24, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
To better explain to Mike and others what seems to be some very stretched logic and exaggeration, I have broken down the coverage of George Thomas' involvement in the design.

We all know that Thomas respected Wilson and said that Wilson taught him "many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal," and advised him by mail regarding GT's early California designs.  I've asked repeatedly (as has TomM) for any other contemporaneous documentation indicating or even hinting that Thomas might have been involved in any aspect of designing Cobb's, but Mike ignores these questions and continues to repeat the above, throwing in Geoff Shackelford's suppositions about he same fact for good measure.  But no matter how many times he repeats it, there still is only one single statement by George Thomas.  

What we have is a child's game of "telephone" where one item gets passed along and the story changes and grows with each exchange.  It is a good example of how these legends get going, and perhaps a cautionary tale of what happens when we rely on secondary sources instead of first-hand sources:

1.  GT said Wilson taught him "many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal," and advised him by mail regarding GT's early California designs.   GT gave no indication of what "things" he learned and gave no indication of when this took place.  Nothing about GT being at these places during construction, and nothing specifying whether he was at the East Course, West Course or both.
2.  For reasons not explained, G. Shackelford seems to be supposing that the above statement means that George Thomas must have spent time a lot of time studying both Merion courses and Cobb's during the construction phases of each.   A large part of seems to be supposition, but given that Geoff isn't making any claims about Thomas having helped designed these courses, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but so far as I can tell it is not supported anything other than the single statement by GT.
3.  Mike  treats  Nos. 1 and 2 above as if they were two different sources of information, even though the only contemporaneous info is the one GT quote.   Mike quotes G.Shackelford to try and establish GT was there studying the courses during construction, and then quotes GT (apparently from Geoff's book.)   Really there is just GT's statement that he learned many things.  
4.  From there Mike really gets going.  (my emphasis)
  - He lists Thomas as one of "The Designers" of the Cobb's Creek Golf Course.  (ToC)
  - He claims Thomas "spent considerable time 'learning' from Hugh Wilson onsite during the design and creation of Cobb's Creek." (p.5)
  - He claims "it is likely" that Thomas contributed design ideas and that those design ideas were "factored into the final collaborative mix."(p.5)
  - He claims that Thomas was "regularly on site" with Hugh Wilson as Wilson "designed Merion (both courses) . . .." (p. 104)
  - He claims that being "regularly on site" helped take Thomas' "course design knowledge to the next level." (p.104)
  - He again claims that  it seems that Thomas spent "a good deal of time at Cobb's Creek with Hugh Wilson." (p. 104)
  - He claims that "it is likely" that Thomas' "opinion was sought, valued, and considered, by Hugh Wilson and his other friends of the Philadelphia School who collaboratively designed the course. (p. 106)
 -  He again claims that it seems that Thomas spent "a good deal of time" at Cobb's Creek. (p. 106)

All that from a single statement by George Thomas that he "learned many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal."

So far as I know, George Thomas said . . .
 -  NOTHING about when he visited Merion or Cobbs.
 -  NOTHING about Thomas being there during the "design and creation" or even the "construction" of either course.
 -  NOTHING about "regularly" visiting either course or spending "a good deal of time" at either course.
 -  NOTHING about whether he visited "both courses" at Merion.
 -  NOTHING about offering his design advice to Hugh Wilson about either course.
 -  NOTHING about his advice being sought, valued, considered, or followed at Cobb's.  
 -  NOTHING about being one of "The Designers" of Cobbs, or of helping "design and create" the course.

I keep asking if there as direct contemporaneous evidence supporting any of this, but so far there appears to be NOTHING.  At best Mike's indirect posts just keep repeating the one quote and Geoff Shackelford's suppositions from that fact.

This is one of many good examples of the kind of stretching and exaggerating throughout the work.   GT wrote that respected and learned from Hugh Wilson at Cobbs and Merion, and next thing you know he is out there at Cobb's on a regular basis, helping Wilson design Cobb's.  

I still don't understand why the same logic doesn't apply to Merion?  GT learned from Wilson at Merion, so by Mike's logic he must have helped design it? Wilson learned from CBM at NGLA, so I guess Wilson helped design NGLA as well?

I also don't understand, if this was the collaborative project as described, why Thomas singles out Wilson?  He describes learning from Crump at Pine Valley, but doesn't mention Crump as having any involvement at Cobb's.  

From down the hall, a shot rang out.......

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #1519 on: May 25, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

Posted on Mike Cirba's behalf:

David,

Thanks for the criticisms.   As I wrote earlier, I'm certainly open to considering them and modifying future editions of the book but I do find it a bit perplexing that only you and Tom MacWood seem to have these strenuous objections to the material.   Moreso, I'm perplexed at what I perceive to be a double-standard at work here in what seems to be selective, convenient criticisms of my work while letting others have a pass.   Please allow me to explain...

To wit;  

Yesterday you wrote a lengthy post criticizing me for including George Thomas in the book, even though I'd prior explained multiple times that all I said about Thomas was essentially what Geoff Shackelford previously wrote, paraphrasing Thomas himself who wrote that he considered Hugh Wilson one of the very best golf course architects, pro or amateur, and that he had learned much from Wilson while observing him at Merion and Cobb's Creek.

At the time, George Thomas had designed 3 courses himself in part or whole; Marion (MA), Whitemarsh Valley, and Spring Lake (NJ).   He was also close friends with Hugh Wilson, Ab Smith, and George Crump, all men working on the Cobb's project.   Given his prior architectural experience, his close friendships with the men involved, and his own words indicating that he had learned a lot from Hugh Wilson while at Cobb's Creek, I wrote speculatively;

"While we will likely never know the extent of Thomas’s actual input to the final design of Cobb’s Creek, it seems likely that his opinion was sought, valued, and considered by Hugh Wilson and his other friends in the Philadelphia School who collaboratively designed the course.  It also seems that he spent a good deal of time there and that he considered it time well spent furthering his education in golf course architecture."

That's the extent of it.   While admittedly speculative, I'm pretty certain he'd offer opinions while onsite with his friends, don't you?   Never do I claim he was one of the designers or on the committee appointed by Lesley to design the course, yet I do find it interesting and relevant to the overall story of Cobb's Creek.   Are you arguing that I should have completely omitted him?   I understand your question asking if we came across other, concurring contemporaneous accounts of Thomas's involvement at Cobb's Creek is a good one and I wish we had more information but I thought it was a hypothetical worth considering based on what we do know.

What I find more curious, though David, is why you never had this type of critical public reaction to Geoff Shackelford's "The Golden Age of Golf Design"?   Perhaps you did and I missed it, but could you tell me how my listing of architects either directly appointed by GAP, or architects documented consulting there, or others documented spending time there while it was being designed and built is in any way different than what Geoff wrote on Page 65 of his book, under the heading, "Pine Valley: George Crump and His Contributors"?

In that section, Shackelford lists Crump and ten other architects who "visited the site and who are credited with some assistance and the design and completion of Pine Valley".  

One of those listed is George C. Thomas, Jr...another is William Fownes of Oakmont...Here's what is written about Thomoas;

"One of the founding members of Pine Valley.   Made frequent visits during construction prior to the war and traveled back to club in 1928 to consult with Flynn."

Now, one could rightfully ask, what other contemporaneous materials exist to validate that Thomas had anything to do with the Pine Valley course?  Could you tell me specifically what Thomas did to contribute to the design?   What about Fownes?  Wasn't Pine Valley already completed by 1928?   For that matter, why not list Tom Fazio or others who altered the course after it opened?  

How is this different than what you are criticizing me for, yet I have to ask;  Did you ever voice those concernes criticisms to Geoff or in print here?

Personally, I believe that Geoff is very correct in what he wrote, because he understood and respected the collaborative way that these amateurs around Philadelphia worked together on multiple projects, including Pine Valley and Cobb's Creek.   Do you agree with the way Geoff presented this section in his book?

Similarly, you seem by your silence to agree with Tom MacWood's criticisms, saying that there is no real case made for the invovlement of George Crump, Franklin Meehan, William Flynn, and/or Walter Travis.   Do you agree with him, or is that simply my perception?

I ask because in the case of Crump, we have at least a half-dozen attributions from various sources, including the GAP records themselves...unless of course you agree with Tom's interpretation that the Golf Committee was formed by Lesley to determine how to provide "access" to a public course.  ;)  ;D    What's more, most of these articles were written while Crump himself was still alive.   If he wasn't involved, don't you think he might have tried to correct the record?

In the case of Franklin Meehan, not only do we have various accounts that he was on the Committee, but the Asst. Park Engineer Alan Corson is quoted as saying he was involved.  

In the case of Walter Travis we have two separate articles indicating his involvement at Cobb's Creek;

One from late 1915 goes; "...most of his time has been given to assisting in the laying out of public and other courses such as Cobb's Creek, Halloween Park, and Pine Valley."  Another a month later states, "Walter J. Travis has spent a good deal of time lately in making suggestings as to notable public courses, especially at Cobb's Creek and Halloween Park."

We also know from various sources that William Flynn was not only the shaper onsite, but that he travelled to the famous courses of New England such as Myopia, TCC, and Essex looking for ideas to use at the Cobb's course.

I'll ask you again, David...do you believe that these stories should have been omitted from the book?

Finally, I'd ask you why you didn't correct Tom MacWood's obvious interprative error when he read the William Evans article incorrectly, believing that the mention of Wilson, Smith, and Klauder being newly assigned to help the Fairmount Park commission indicated they were the only ones involved when a careful reading indicates that the layout was already routed at that point?

I'd also ask you why you didn't challenge him this week on the Philmont thread, when he claimed that HH Barker designed the second nine at the original course there (today's South)?   He provided as evidence the following statement from a 1909 American Golfer article written by his mentor.   After listing some of his original designs, the article continues;

"He (Barker) is also engaged in making improvements on the following existing courses, - Springhaven Country Club, Wallingford, PA, Philmont Country Club, Philmont, PA, Atlantic City Country Club, Atlantic City, NJ, Newport Golf Club, Newport, RI."

Now, Barker may have indeed added a second nine at Philmont (although nothing that the club records and/or Joe Bausch in his extensive local research has been found indicating that to be the case), but how possibly could that be deduced from what was written?   Did Barker add second nines at Springhaven, Atlantic City, and Newport at the same time?   Of course not, yet not only does he put this stuff out there without any real basis, but you let that type of thing slide, David, and I have to ask why?

If indeed all you are concerned with here is an accurate representation of architectural history, why such an obvious double standard?

Thanks for your response,
Mike

DMoriarty

« Reply #1520 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
Mike,

Mike, Like some of your previous entries, much of your last one seem rather beside the point.  If you want to discuss Philmont, perhaps you should have Dan post for you there.  Likewise if you want to do a thorough review of Geoff Shackelford's 1997 work on Geo. Thomas.  This thread isn't about TomM, Geoff, or me, or even you, it is about Cobb's Creek.  Your work on Cobb's, which you wrote "for posterity," contains a number of stretches and exaggerations that distort the historical record of the course and early golf, and at this time and in this thread that is my focus.   And I don't think you want to get into comparing your methodology to that of Geoff Shackelford's or Tom MacWood's.  You'd fare better comparing Cobb's to Pine Valley.

Besides, there is no double standard at work here. Everyone makes mistakes and we are all working with incomplete information and are all capable of errors, and I have brought errors to Tom MacWood's attention and to Geoff's when they come up and are relevant.  I have found them both to be willing and capable of acknowledging and addressing such criticisms when the come up.  After all that is what sound researchers and analysts do, but what is so often lacking in conversations about the Philadelphia region.  

Also, you and your brethren have a tendency to overlook when I correct the errors of TomM and others, perhaps in part because it rarely causes the kerfuffle it does when I address anything regarding your area of the country.   Sometimes you even lecture me and Tom on points I have already corrected!  For example, in post 1402 to Tom MacWood, I wrote:  "That said, for the sake of an accurate record, while the caption in that article referred to him as an instructor, I think the text did mention that he would be in charge of instruction at Cobb's.   I don't know whether one derived from the other."  Despite that I had set the record straight you went on multiple times about 'reading comprehension problems' and the usual nonsense as if neither Tom nor I had acknowledged this.  You also accuse me of not correcting matters already corrected, such as the Evan's article?  Really?  

In short, Mike, if there are two standards here, it is in the way others (such as TomM) take critical review as compared to how you and your friends in Philadelphia take critical review.  Others just accept, reject, and/or discuss it on its substance, while you guys fight everything no matter how benign the point, and turn everything into a personality showdown instead of a substantive conversation.  But let's not dwell on these asides and return to substance.  

You claim that with regard to Thomas, you just wrote "essentially what Geoff Shackelford previously wrote."  
   -  First, this is a good example of why we cannot rely on secondary sources.  Even the very good secondary sources like Geoff can occasionally overstate things, which is why we must careful consider whether the factual support matches the speculation and conclusions.   Your book is full of reliance on secondary sources which are unchecked or have even been proven wrong on secondary issues.  For example, how many times did you guys suppose you could repeat the erroneous story about the timing of Wilson's trip abroad? You know its is wrong, but you include it anyway, and repeatedly.  For "posterity," no less.
   -  Second, go way further than Geoff Shackeford did.  Geoff didn't presume that Thomas was one of "The Designers" of Cobb's Creek!  You did.  And you treated Geoff's interpretation as if it was and independent confirmation on Thomas' quote, even though they come from the same source!

You ask "I'm pretty certain he'd offer opinions while onsite with his friends, don't you?"  No. Since I don't know that he was even there during the relevant time period this would be an impossible leap to make.  Can you even date his friendship to Wilson during this time period.  They were friends by the early 1920's but remember that Wilson wasn't even involved in Pine Valley in the very beginning, and he doesn't seem to have been the jet-setting (bi-plane setting?) millionaire that Thomas was.  

You ask me whether I agree with Tom MacWood's other critiques?  I haven't looked at the details of all of them but I agree generally that you guys seem to have tried to hitch your wagon to people and events and other courses well beyond what the record supports.  Crump is a good example.  There is much more about the architecture of Pine Valley in your report than there is about the substance of the early architecture at Cobb's Creek! This because Crump was on a committee?   It seems beyond a stretch to me.   Likewise regarding the story that like PV, Cobb's was a big collaborative effort with many making substantive contribution.  There is little record of this, so far as I can tell.

Again, Mike, I am trying to address your questions, but all this seems to be more of an aside to me.   Perhaps we can let Tom Mac speak for himself, and focus on the issues at hand, as raised in your work?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:19:15 PM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1521 on: May 25, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
I just reviewed your above entry and mine and see us both throwing a bunch of things into each post, many of which deserve individual attention.  I'm not interested in getting to PV's detailed history as the thread is about Cobb's Creek, but with regard to Cobb's, perhaps we ought to break it down by individual, as lumping them all together does the project and our analysis a disservice.

George Thomas.
  We've already discussed Thomas quite a bit, but it is somewhat buried so let me express what I see as the problem by comparing the underlying fact to your version.

The Fact George Thomas wrote that he "learned many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal."

Mike Cirba's Version:   George Thomas was one of "The Designers" of the Cobb's Creek Golf Course.  He "spent considerable time 'learning' from Hugh Wilson onsite during the design and creation."  "It is likely" that Thomas contributed design ideas and that those design ideas were "factored into the final collaborative mix."  Additonally, Thomas was "regularly on site" with Hugh Wilson as Wilson "designed Merion (both courses.)"  Being "regularly on site" at these courses helped take Thomas' "course design knowledge to the next level."  "It is likely" that Thomas' "opinion was sought, valued, and considered, by Hugh Wilson and his other friends of the Philadelphia School who collaboratively designed the course."

To my mind, the latter cannot reasonably flow from the former.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1522 on: May 25, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »
Ben Sayers
No doubt the famous Ben Sayers was at Cobb's for the opening ceremony and hit one of the ceremonial first shots, and was hailed as a teach of Royalty and world famous character of golf.   But you guys also also do quite a job of hyping Sayers as the first professional at Cobb's Creek.  Your claim seems to be  based on a single newspaper article (undated and unidentified) indicated that Sayer (sic) "would have charge of instruction."  Do you guys have anything else at all indicating that Sayers was the "the first professional" at Cobb's.   The reason I ask that a different article covering the same event goes into great detail about Ben Sayers' involvement in the opening and his past reputation of a teacher of Royalty, but that article strongly suggests that Horace Gamble was the professional at Cobb's.  You know this I am sure as the article is in your work.   But you didn't mention it in your coverage even though you know Horace Gamble was a very early professional at Cobb's.  In short, it is not exactly clearcut that Sayers was the first professional there.  

Moreover, the one written by "Sandy McNiblick" - the one mentioning Gamble - strikes me as being more accurate and credible.   McNiblick wrote:  Those who were dubious about the game were shown the many fine points by Horace H. Gamble, a professional teacher.  He has established a headquarters for the forgetful, and many of the players bought their golfsticks, bags, and balls from him on the grounds. So the professional Horace H. Gamble had set up headquarters and was not only teaching, he was selling equipment.  Doesn't this sound like he was the first professional?  Especially given reports in subsequent seasons confirm he was he was an early professional at Cobb's?  Did Cobb's have two professionals? If so why is Horace H. Gamble getting the press as the professional instead of the famous Ben Sayers?  

McNiblick says nothing about Sayers working at Cobb's despite that McNiblick knows about Sayers and his fame   In fact, McNiblick provides a detailed description of Sayers at the ceremonial opening, including a great description of Ben Sayers' opening shot, and a description of how he gave pointers to one of the present dignitaries ("transit magnate" Edward Stotesbury) but you cut off part of the article so I cannot see what else it says about Sayers. Anyway, here is part of the description about Sayers' ceremonial shot . . .
    The last baptizer to step up to bat was Benny Sayers, the granddaddy of golf, both in this country and abroad.  He is one of the most famous characters in the game.  He has taught most of the Kings, Queens and other royalty, both ancient and modern, the game of golf, and the gallery stepped forward as Benny picked up the famous "dreadknot" driver, that he invented, and waggled the huge head over his ball.  
    His midget body twisted in perfect balance and the ball flitted away like a bullet from a gun.  
   "It hasn't stopped yet," sad Golfer Stotesbury in amusement some minutes later, and all stood entranced by the shot.
    Benny just missed his put for a 4 by a fraction of an inch on the first hole.  President Lesley also played out the first hole and got a 6.

Compare that to the section of the other article, on which you guys solely rely . . .
"'Benny' Sayer (sic), the professional, who will have charge of instruction, is one of the oldest players in the country, and holes the distinction of teaching the game to members of the royalty in Europe.  At one time known as the 'king of golfers' Sayer (sic) calls the new course sporty.  He explained that it has all of the natural advantages of the courses abroad, and there are only a few  places that need the attention of the groundkeepers.

While the two authors may have been working off of similar information, "Sandy McNiblick" seems to have a much better grasp of what is ongoing at Cobb's, he gets Sayers' name right, and knows that at 60 Sayers wasn't one of the oldest golfers in the country, and that he wasn't even of this country!  Isn't it at least possible that the unattributed article is mistaken or confused when it says Sayers was "in charge of instruction?"  Couldn't the author have gotten confused by the caption calling Sayers "the Instructor" or by why he was there?

More to the point, Mike, don't you agree that the identity of the first professional is far from clear cut?  Yet you guys unequivocally tout Sayers as the first professional even though "Sandy McNiblick's" article seems to think it was Gamble.  And that is really my point.  Again you guys seem to have found a snippet to your liking and ran with it, instead of critically analyzing it in context and with all else you know.   You can't just choose one article over another because Ben Sayers happens to be more famous than Horace Gamble. You have to look at the context and try to figure out what makes most sense. And you cannot state that it was a fact that Sayers was the professional unless you know it is a fact.

Maybe you can shed more light on the issue?
-- Can you identify the newspapers and dates of those articles?
-- Can you provide the missing portion of the McNiblick article about Sayers?  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:07:53 PM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #1523 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
While I am at it . . .

William Flynn

You asked what I thought of your inclusion of Flynn.  I have no issue with you including a discussion of William Flynn in your coverage of Cobb's Creek as it appears from what you have offered that he was in charge of the construction.   I do have some question and comments about your actual coverage of Flynn, though.

1.  I see no reason for you include him as one of the "The Designers," as it looks from your sources he was in charge of constructing he course, not designing it.  Do you have anything indicating he designed it, rather than constructing it, and what his "design" contribution might have been?

2.  You provide the following snippet in your section on Flynn on page 101 . . .
I assume that the course in being discussed is Cobb's?   If so, what is the date and source?  And where is the rest of the article?  Is it elsewhere in the work?  I am particularly curious about the chairman of the committee and the other information directly above.   Forgive me if it is somewhere else in the work but it is a little difficult to navigate.

3.  You have taken to saying that Flynn "travelled to the famous courses of New England such as Myopia, TCC, and Essex looking for ideas to use at the Cobb's course."  Is your source for this claim the following article . . .
- Again the article is undated and unattributed, do you think you could provide us a date and paper?
- I note you must have come all the way around to my way of thinking on the meaning of "to lay out" and related phrases.
- My guess is this is a Boston article and Flynn seems the likely source. If so then it is interesting that the article mentions him laying out only one course at Merion.  
- I see where the article mentions that he was viewing courses and "seeking ideas" but I am not sure how you connect that to Cobb's, as opposed to Merion or his general architectural practice.  Maybe the date would help, but if Cobb's is expected to open "in October" it seems that Cobb's was already finished.  Hard to know without the date.

4.  You have taken referring to Flynn as "the shaper" or the main shaper or head shaper or something like that, and you write of "the fact that renowned architect William Flynn . . . personally constructed each of the greens and bunkers at Cobb's Creek."   I have this image of William Flynn on his infamous horse supervising the project, and so I was surprised by the claim he was actually and personally "shaping" everything.  What is your basis for claiming that was personally doing the work himself, as opposed to him being in charge of the work and/or supervising the work.  This isn't to take anything away from Flynn's involvement, just wondering what you are reading that I am not. Because to say he was "a big aid . . . in the actual building of the bunkers in traps" (as is written in the snippet above) doesn't necessarily put him out there alone with a shovel in his hand, does it?   It is not a big issue, but it almost sounds like you might have demoted him, from being in charge of construction to doing it all himself, and so I am curious about this.

5.  You highlight what you guys call the "naturalistic" approach in your discussion of Flynn and elsewhere.  No doubt some of Flynn's other work be described in these terms, but I am trying to focus on Cobb's Creek here, and presumably so are you.   Is it a fair assessment to say that Cobb's wholly incorporated this "naturalistic" aesthetic into its initial design? Or was it a mixed bag?   I guess I am thinking of some of the old aerials which show trench bunkers, what looks like the remnants of alpinization across a fairway, and even the type of exterior green mounding that existed behind the original 10th hole at Merion.  as I recall you referred to this type of thing as an abomination and worse when it was done at Merion, so how about at Cobb's?  

Don't get me wrong. I personally like some of the early stuff that you guys have considered harsh and unnatural in the past, but I balk at you calling it "naturalistic" at Cobb's, especially when you are also drawing a distinction between the supposedly naturalistic approach in Philadelphia, on the one hand, with what you perceive (wrongly IMO) as CBM's approach, on the other.  After all, wasn't "naturalistic" Philadelphia architect Hugh Wilson responsible for constructing the stuff at Merion you view as unnatural?  And wasn't Flynn responsible for some very rough and unnatural work at this stage of his career?  Even at Cobb's?

So others see what we are discussing, here is a green and approach at Cobb's from the Dallin Aerial Collection, 1935.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:27:00 PM by DMoriarty »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #1524 on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Wow. 

Double wow.

You get the idea.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back