News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Cobb's Creek Collaborators - Restoration Dreams
« Reply #1275 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
David - would you allow that a post-restoration Cobb's Creek would be one of the top 5 publicly owned courses in the country? 

I for one hope the project can be successful.  I think the bones are there for something special.  Really special.

PS - I'm proud of my friends for the work they've done.  They have day jobs, and this has truly been a labor of love for GCA. 

TEPaul

« Reply #1276 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »
Dan:

I'm so glad to hear you say you are proud of your friends who have been involved in the Cobbs Creek project. They do have day jobs and therefore it has been a real labor of love with and for Cobbs and golf architecture.

But I really do have to ask you, Dan, why you even bother to ask David Moriarty the question you just did? Do you really care what he thinks after what he has said about Cirba? And if you do, please explain why you do. Does the petty point Moriarty made about Cirba (and has made for some years) anger you at all as it does me and if it does why don't you just say so?

So my question to you is, how do you feel about what Moriarty said on this thread in the last day or so about Cirba being dishonest, disingenuous and counteproductive for the reason Moriarty gave (that Cirba said Cobbs was once known as the best public course in the country)?

I feel in the broad scheme of things, what he said is both petty and unnecessarily negative. And further, I feel if any, some or most on this website feel that way they should just stand up and say so or I really do begin to wonder where their moral fiber and intellectual backbone is, and that includes the moderators of this website if they are aware of what he said.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #1277 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »
Mike,

I'll happily stand by my assertion. Beth Page, particularly the Black, is so much of what Cobbs WILL NOT be. You describe an odious, long slog, with a rather one dimensional presentation in the Black. Cobbs will(already does) provide a much more varied and testing balance of shot requirements, that ALL players will find stimulating and enjoyable. It can stand on its own and needs no supporting cast. You don't have the New York state resident limitations when booking a tee time either. Karakung, mercifully, will cease to exist in its present form, though a sporty nines holes will be crafted over that reconfigured ground, with the remainder open space and a junior golf component.

Kris,

I had no idea that Mayor Michael Ritter made you Deputy Mayor!!  ;) My brother graduated with Ritter so he will be upset !!

Where the heck did I say that The Black is "an odious, long slog, with a rather one dimensional presentation"??? I was talking about the people that now play the course (see Matt Ward from Jersey!!).

The Black and all of Bethpage is built on sand, on rolling hills, so it has advantages that West Philadelphia simply does not have unless there is some serious sand capping on the new course. Cobbs has two VERY steep hills that are simply not going away, and that is what causes the drainage issues in comparison to nearby Merion

I have Bethpage easily in my Top 25 courses played.

I think that this is the first time in 12 years on GCA.com that I am agreeing with David Moriarty. When was the last time that you played The Black?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #1278 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Tom,
To lift a line from Paul McCartney, I may be "The Fool on the Hill".  I was trying to see if David would agree with anything posted by a citizen of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Maybe it's my quixotic nature or good old insanity...

But yeah, Tom.  Calling Mike Cirba's intentions into question here just isn't justified.

But I learned when I was involved in city government in Beaverton, OR that no matter how noble your actions may be to you, there will be some that hate your guts for taking a position.  (This gets to your point, Tom).  I learned then that trying to please everybody is foolish and doomed to fail.

PS - I was advocating a change to city code to prevent city residents from keeping dangerous wild big cats in their backyard in a suburban neighborhood.   You'd think everybody would be for it - boy, was I wrong.

Mea culpa

Tom MacWood

« Reply #1279 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »

Tom,

Thanks for that information. Of the courses I've played on that Top 25 listed, Cobbs, TODAY, has better ground than at least three of them in my view. Not setting or conditioning. GROUND. In the end it's all about what one likes or appreciates. I'd welcome the opportunity to have you, David, and anyone else, come see Cobbs when the project is completed and you can judge for yourselves.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Better ground? That is an odd thing to say in response to my post. That is quite a bit different than saying it is one of the best designs of its era. That is like saying the ground has a lot of potential if someone capable were able....not exactly a ringing endorsement for Wilson & Co's legacy.

One of the top five public courses all day long? If I was in charge of the project I'd be elated with top fifty. I think you've set the bar unrealistically high.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:19:39 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #1280 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »
"Better ground? That is an odd thing to say in response to my post. That is quite a bit different than saying it is one of the best designs of its era. That is like saying the ground has a lot of potential if someone capable were able....not exactly a ringing endorsement for Wilson & Co's legacy.

One of the top five public courses all day long? If I was in charge of the project I'd be elated with top fifty. I think you've set the bar unrealistically high."

Kris:

The above is just another of numerous examples of the on-going befuddled logic and thinking of Tom MacWood to what others say on this website.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1281 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »
David - would you allow that a post-restoration Cobb's Creek would be one of the top 5 publicly owned courses in the country?  

I for one hope the project can be successful.  I think the bones are there for something special.  Really special.

PS - I'm proud of my friends for the work they've done.  They have day jobs, and this has truly been a labor of love for GCA.  

Dan,  As I have said for years, I like Cobb's and think it could be brought back to a very good course and it is definitely worth restoring, provided it could be done economically and efficiently.  But as for "top 5 publicly owned courses" making such a claim at this point in the process seems downright foolish to me.  There are a lot excellent public courses, many more than in 1930, and as Mike Sweeney begins to point out, some of these other courses are blessed with better soil, better drainage, better climate, less trees, etc.  I am not familiar enough with these courses to even begin coming up with a top five, and I have no idea how I or anyone could reasonably say whether a yet to be restored Cobb's Creek will eventually crack that mythical top five.   To definitively say it will be a "top five" course is pure hyperbole, and in my mind unproductive.

That said, if the right team is hired, and if those in charge stay on board and make the right decisions, and if the drainage issues can be overcome in a manner consistent with a quality restoration, and if other issues (tree cutting for example) can also be resolved, and if the money is there, and if the maintenance and management is right, and a host of other if's, then the restoration could very successful.  

Why the fascination with pie in the sky proclamations?  Isn't it enough that it be restored to a very good public course?  If they manage to accomplish even this, then the course will be beloved in Philadelphia, and woe betide anyone who might dare criticize it.

As for for your friends, you should be proud and I agree it is labor of love, and I really do wish them the best for the sake of public golf in Philadelphia.  I'm just always disappointed when I see someone fudging the historical record, whether motivated by love or malice.  Pretending Cobbs was something it was not does not help their cause one bit.  

P.S.  

I wrote the above before I saw that you snapped back in line when TEPaul scolded you. And here I thought you were actually trying to turn the thread in a more positive direction.   My mistake.   Nice it see the Posse is still intact.  

But you'll have to point out to me where I questioned Mike's intentions on this thread..   I don't think I did.   I questioned his misrepresentation about Cobb's reputation.   In typical fashion, you guys seem to think that as long as his heart is in the right place, well then to hell with the facts.   I don't see it that way.  

Do you honestly think it is the best interest of the project for Mike Cirba to be out there making false statements about Cobb's past reputation, and for those false statements to be published on Joe Logan's site?  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:15:26 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #1282 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-Teddy Roosevelt (1910)

TEPaul

« Reply #1283 on: May 16, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
"P.S.   
I wrote the above before I saw that you snapped back in line when TEPaul scolded you. And here I thought you were actually trying to turn the thread in a more positive direction.   My mistake.   Nice it see the Posse is still intact."

Dan:

Do you think I scolded you or do you think that was just Moriarty's take?

All his talk over the years about posses and such. What do you make of that? Seems a bit hysterical to me. What do you think?

DMoriarty

« Reply #1284 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
Geoffrey Walsh,

Do you honestly think it is the best interest of the project for Mike Cirba to be out there making false statements about Cobb's past reputation, and for those false statements to be published on Joe Logan's site?

Is it in the best interest of the project if we all just pretend not to notice and hope no one else does either?  

There is more than a little irony here with these silly defenses of Cirba's screw up.   I recall an instance a ways back when someone else on the website made some false statements about the past reputation of some courses.   I don't recall many being quite so quick to forgive.  It was more like a lynch mob, and if Ran hadn't been just as guilty as the person in question it would have been a lot uglier.   Where is the outrage now?  

I guess the lesson is that if we are going to make things up about old courses, we had better stick to making up positive things about Philadelphia courses, otherwise we will be taken to task.

Dan Herrmann,

I believe you know exactly what I am talking about in my reference to a Posse.  And you also know that the term is TEPaul's, not mine.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:51:56 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #1285 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »
Well, I'm just going to stick to praising the efforts of the Cobb's Creek team.  They truly have a love of golf, a love of GCA, and a passion for making things better for others.

Best compliment I can give them:  They're advancing GCA with zero self-interest.   There's no money at stake, no fame.  It's a wonderful thing they're doing and I'm extremely proud of them.

TEPaul

« Reply #1286 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
There are a few things in David Moriarty's Post #1286, particularly its middle section, that should be looked into very carefully and discussed.

He says it is ironic that someone was really taken to task for something he put on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com but that Mike Cirba wasn't taken to task for claiming Cobbs Creek was known as the best public course in the country.

What and who is David Moriarty referring to and why did he not name the person and what he put on GOLFCLUBATLAS? I believe he is referring to Tom MacWood's IMO piece entitled "The World's Finest Tests."

Is it ironic that Tom MacWood and that IMO was really taken to task on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com and that Mike Cirba was not for what he said about Cobbs Creek? I don't think so. I don't think it is ironic at all. I think the participants of GOLFCLUBATLAS.com fully understood the difference between those two statements and pieces and responded accordingly with both intelligence and good old fashioned common sense.

And I think the reason why simply lies in the fact that one was a blatant attempt at deception while the other one was an opinion that is based on a certain amount of opinion fact from newspaper articles and championship players at Cobbs Creek back then.

mike_malone

« Reply #1287 on: May 17, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
 I think #6 will be the key to the whole project. That steep rise will be a challenge. I think they need to put a diagonal cart path in there and maybe a Mannies lift for us walkers.
AKA Mayday

TEPaul

« Reply #1288 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
Mayday:

Meet Wayne and I tonight at 6pm at the Strafford Diner. We have a booth reserved and you have the inside seat so you can't escape until Wayne and I have finished pummeling the tar outta you.

mike_malone

« Reply #1289 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
 Tom,

I love the original design at Cobbs. I think modern golfers would oppose such a steep uphill hole. Without #6 going up that hill the venture is lost. So we need to have an answer.

BTW I think I could take both of you; don't make those threats.
AKA Mayday

TEPaul

« Reply #1290 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »

"BTW I think I could take both of you; don't make those threats."

You may be right about that. Therefore, Wayne and I might bring Flynn's daughter Connie Lagermann and then you won't have a chance in hell.

mike_malone

« Reply #1291 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
 I think many of David's points are good as they relate to the challenges of a Cobbs restoration. Certainly Gil Hanse has first hand knowledge of work he did that was washed away. So, he or any other architect would understand those challenges.  I can't figure why he picks an argument with someone who doesn't even post here anymore. That just makes people not read his good points.

I do think that the best holes on the course now are those that use the elevation change. The current number #12 and #15 are among the best. With the original tees the old #9 #10 #11 #12 will be a stretch of holes to rival ANY public course.
AKA Mayday

TEPaul

« Reply #1292 on: May 17, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
Mayday:

If you really can't figure out why he picks an argument with someone who doesn't even post here anymore (Cirba), then I really do have to question if you're capable of figuring anything out.  :o

TEPaul

« Reply #1293 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
Mike Cirba who discontinued his registration on this website some time ago asked me to post the following for him:

"All,

I'm really wanting out of things on GCA but...since I'm being personally insulted again in a public forum I feel I have to defend my position.

Again, I really don't want this to be about me, but I do think it's important that what we're trying to do, as well as Cobb's Creek's' historic signficance are accurately and fully represented.   

First I think my friend Mike Sweeney may misunderstand what is being proposed at Cobb's Creek.   As Kris points, out, the Bethpage model of a course that is brutally difficult for the average player is almost antithetical to what is being proposed for Cobb's.   There, in creating a US Open-worthy course they took an already very tough golf course and made it brutally difficult for regular daily play through narrowed fairways, lengthened holes, high rough, some significant carries from the tee, which combined with the stern bunkering and rugged terrain makes for exactly what it was intended to do.   People want to play it under US Open type conditions, and more power to them.   The course serves that role very well.

At Cobb's Creek, the model is more accurately Rustic Canyon or Wild Horse than Bethpage Black.   Perhaps a better analogy, given some of the steep hills and the winding creek that Mike mentioned is Augusta National.   The idea is to accentuate and turn up the maintenance meld on the terrific original routing that utilizes the natural rolling landforms in interesting and varied ways.   If some of us could have our way, there would be no rough but only short grass.   The course being proposed is MUCH wider than today's due to gaining back 15% of the original acreage, as well as putting in an irrigation system that can support healthy turf on a wide fairway, as opposed to today's 1950s single-row irrigation heads, many of them busted.   We would like the ball to run forever, frankly, with a firm and fast presentation.   Cobbs never needed a lot of bunkers, and those that are in place are mostly "saving" bunkers that stop a moving ball from a worse fate. 

Today's Cobb's has one major drawback which is a paucity of realistic forward tees for seniors and women.   The front markers are sometimes only 5-10 yards ahead of the men's.  This will be addressed, hopefully, through thoughful planning and placement.   Also, the longest carry required to reach terra firma on any point of the course is about the width of the creek, also much like ANGC in that regard.   The idea is to use the wonderfully low profile tilted greensites to be approached from whatever angle is advantageous for that day's hole location and to really let the landscape and greensites defend par.   We'd like to keep lost balls and frustration of chopping out of rough or blasting out of bunkers to a minimum.

I think it's important for people to know that the goal is to have a course that is playable for everyone, but also that can challenge the best players from the back tees with tough hole locations and other subtleties for important competitions.   We certainly don't see those goals as mutually incompatible and as mentioned, our models are where that has proven to work, as well as what we know Cobb's was originally.

I certainly don't want to get sucked into the attempts to turn this thread in a negative way, but would make two points that I think are important about the golf course and about the historic reputation of Cobb's Creek.

First, I really don't understand what David is trying to imply when he criticizes the fact that holes were placed along the creek.   Although major rain events did effect the course periodically over the decades, the regular washouts are much more of a modern phenomenon due to urbanization upstream, which prior was farmland.   Merion East has the same problem...is he suggesting that the 11th at Merion should never have been created?   More relevantly, Rustic Canyon was built in a canyon floor and has had significant damage due to major flooding events...should Gil and Geoff have built their golf course somewhere else?    Should they have built their greens far from the mostly dry creekbeds?    Would he criticize Mackenzie for where he built his holes at Sharp Park, six of which were washed into the sea less than a decade after opening?   

I think David's attempt to cast doubt about the architectural prowess of the men involved at Cobb's Creek as well as his continuing stream of personal insults directed at me is really misguided and personally motivated by his long-held anger and bile over our criticisms of his Merion essay.   Others can weigh his remarks and judgements on their own merit, and make their own determinations as to his true motives here.

And finally, I had to chuckle seeing another of Tom MacWood's self-created list again (apparently referring to himself as the royal "WE").   Hopefully  it has more merit and less personal bias than the fictional list from the 1930s he self-created and published here some time ago as a find of supposed factual historical merit and interest, "The World's Finest Tests" (still available to read on the "In My Opinion" section)

While there are some really good courses mentioned in Tom's scattershot list (and some horrifically bad and very mediocre ones), it has little to do with my original contention that until the Great Depression, Cobb's was generally known as the best and most challenging public course in the country.   In the 1930s a lot of public monies and make work programs greatly expanded and generally improved the public course offerings in this country, culminating with the creation of Bethpage in the mid-1930s.   Sharp Park is a good example.   It was conceived in 1929, but it wasn't until taxes were raised and over $500,000 of city "public works" monies were pored into its construction over six years that it was finalized, although the course opened in April 1932.   As mentioned, much of it washed into the ocean in 1941, unfortunately.

So, his list which is heavily reliant on courses built in the 1930s (and which also plays fast and loose with a number of other completion dates) is really not the comparison I was making at all   Further his list has a number of courses which while supposedly available to play for a fee were parts of exclusive, second-home, getaway communities, again not relevant to my original point or in the spirit of a true public course.   That being said, some of what is being argued here is opinion based on our modern understandings, but I'll be happy to stand behind the scads of evidence presented in the book as to the relevance of Cobb's Creek's original design and reputation.   Please feel free to read those articles in the book online, it's free.

Thank you to those with a genuine interest in this project.    Again, I hope the discussion here can focus on the actual golf course and proposed project than on festering personal issues which should have been put to rest by the individuals involved a long time ago.   Frankly, this website has so much potential as evidenced by this thread and it's a shame to see how some see fit to use it.

Mike"

TEPaul

« Reply #1294 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
That is a very fine, thoughtful, informative and well balanced message Mike Cirba. It is what this website and DG can be and should be at its best!

DMoriarty

« Reply #1295 on: May 17, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
Mike Malone,

It wasn't my intention to pick an argument with Cirba.  Really I don't think there is anything to argue about.  NOT EVEN MIKE CIRBA is disputing the substance of my post.   I posted because someone linked to Cirba's letter as published on Joe Logan's website, and the letter contained a false representation about Cobb's past reputation.  I also argued in favor of honest and sober evaluations of restorations and their prospects for success as opposed to hyperbole and cheerleading.

The rest of this crap is all TEPaul driven nonsense.   It is good to have him back.

As for Mike Cirba's post above, it seems he didn't understand much of any of what I wrote.   I wasn't casting doubt on the architectural prowess of anyone, nor was I "criticizing" the placement of the holes along the creek, other than to point out that heavily relying on a tree lined creek prone to flooding is a design choice with real consequences especially on a municipal course which might not have the resources to repeatedly deal with the issue. Does anyone seriously dispute this?  The fact that Cobb's is still dealing with the creek issue almost 100 years later is pretty good evidence.  And better minds than me have made similar criticisms about using streams prone to flooding as design features, and some have even dared to criticize the 11th at Merion on these grounds.  But of course Merion is not a municipal course and is better suited to deal with these problems.   (I see no parallel with Rustic.  The facts there were very different.  But even at Rustic the design had to be significantly altered.)  

Most notably, Mike does not address the main reason for my post:  His misrepresentation about Cobb's past reputation as it appears on Joe Logan's website.   Instead he tries to regress into some old discussion about his opinion of Cobbs.    Mike is entitled to his opinion.  But he is not entitled to pretend that Cobbs was "known as the best" public course when it was not.  Mike knows that Cobb's was not known as the best public course.

That is the only reason I posted.  He is knowingly fudging the historical record to try to sell his project to the regulars and to Joe Logan's readers.  And that is wrong.  No one, not even Mike himself, can seriously dispute this.  You guys can try to shift this to me all you like, but no one can dispute that it is wrong for mike to knowingly misrepresent the historical record, even if for a good cause.  

There is nothing to argue.  Mike screwed up.  In his zeal to promote the project, he knowingly misrepresented Cobb's past reputation.  He ought not do that.

Does anyone out there honestly think it is the best interest of the project for Mike Cirba to be out there making false statements about Cobb's past reputation, and for those false statements to be published on Joe Logan's site?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:35:29 PM by DMoriarty »

JMEvensky

« Reply #1296 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

Just curious,when you made Joe Logan aware of the false statements,what was his response?

Did he thank you and take down the false statements?Did he make corrections based upon your research?

DMoriarty

« Reply #1297 on: May 17, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
Just curious,when you made Joe Logan aware of the false statements,what was his response?

Did he thank you and take down the false statements?Did he make corrections based upon your research?

Mike Cirba knows his claim was false and it is his responsibility to make it right.   Has he contacted Joe Logan or Hank Church and explained that sometimes he gets a little carried away in zeal to promote the course?  

But you failed to answer my question . . . .

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:50:19 PM by DMoriarty »

JMEvensky

« Reply #1298 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »

Mike Cirba knows his claim was false and it is his responsibility to make it right.   Has he contacted Joe Logan or Hank Church and explained that sometimes he gets a little carried away in zeal to promote the course?  

But you failed to answer my question . . . .

Neither I, nor apparently anyone else on this website, agrees with your premise--that Mike Cirba's statements are false because you say so.

If you feel so strongly about righting this injustice,shouldn't your argument be made to Joe Logan? This presupposes that it's historical accuracy you're after.

I don't know Joe Logan but it would seem likely that someone has made him aware of your concerns by now.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1299 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
JMEVensky,

To the contrary, no one has even attempted to seriously dispute what I am saying.   No one seriously contends that Cobb's was known as the best public course in the country.   Mike knows damn well that one can find a few effusive references to about any course, and he knows damn well that these things need to be looked at in context and taken with a grain of salt.   Mike also knows that there was nothing remotely like any sort of a widespread consensus justifying his claim that Cobb's was known as the best.  

As I said, Mike's puffed up claim that Cobb's was "known as the best" is disingenuous at best, because Mike himself knows that Cobb's was not known as the best.  

As for the rest, as I said it is Mike's responsibility, not mine.   In typical fashion you guys keep trying to make this about me instead of addressing the facts.   It is not for me to prove anything. It is Mike's claim.  And it is not for me to clean up Mike's mess.

Besides, Imagine the lather you guys would have worked up had I gone to Joe Logan instead of posting this here.  I'd be accused of trying to torpedo the project!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back