News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Carnegie Abbey ( D.Steel ) r.i.
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
Two friends  whose knowledge  i respect, enjoyed playing here quite a bit. I am especially  interested about standout/ fun holes on the back nine at Carnegie  abbey.  One friend described the  course    as:  "memorable and scenic with very good par fours and a vintage feel."   any  opinions re this layout

thanks

ps... how are the green complexes

Willie_Dow

Re:Carnegie Abbey ( D.Steel ) r.i.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:12:57 PM »
Donald Steel is one of my favorite archies.  His bringing in the revetted bunker to our courses is something we have yearned for.  
The Abbey is fun for all, and your caddie will be an inspiration.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:27:43 PM »
Mark
you probably know this, but Bew Dewar wrote a good profile of Redtail Golf Course in the "Courses by Country" section. I think the look of the place just lovely, simple and elegant like shaker furniture or something. Not sure if  Steel had the same approach at Carnegie, and not what you're asking about at all, but thought you might be interested.
Peter  

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:48:13 PM »
Carnegie Abbey is a good golf course located on the Narragansett Bay in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, just north of Newport.

Carnegie Abbey suffers from some routing isssues do to logistics of the golf course, along with some environmental restrictions.

The first few holes are a bit awkward, however once you cross the bridge you have a nice round ahead of you.

The back nine has some very good  holes with some awesome views of the bay.

Dean Chase does a great job, and Carnegie plays very fast and firm.

The par 3 17th is one of the best around, great golf hole.

18 is a short par 4 which plays along the bay. A very unique walk ahead as you cross over the beach.

The greens are very difficult especially if you haven't been out there before.  They have some unbelievable break, everything goes to  the bay, everything.

Keep it out of the bunkers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:48:37 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:37:27 PM »
When reading the headline of Carnegie something or other I immediately thought you were speaking of Skibo Castle's course.  My thought, was to say forget it and play a couple of more times at Royal Dornoch.

Bob

Chris DeToro

Re: Carnegie Abbey ( D.Steel ) r.i.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
Bringing back a thread from a long while ago--recently played Carnegie Abbey and was wondering if anyone else here had been there recently.  I found it to be a fine place, but it didn't play as fast and firm as it either looked or as I thought it should play given the green surrounds.  The green complexes seemed to beg for bump and run type shots, but the soft conditions (and we haven't had much rain at all this summer) didn't really allow for it.  The first few holes and the last couple of holes felt a little forced--the middle holes which occupy a single tract of land seemed to fit better for me at least. 

Curious what others who've been here thought

Mike Sweeney

Re: Carnegie Abbey ( D.Steel ) r.i.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »

Curious what others who've been here thought

When I played it years ago, it was plenty firm. They had some really slow average rounds due to the greens so I am guessing part of the change was/is to speed up play. I think there has been at least one change in ownership since I played, so that could be part of it too.

I always loved the 18th because of its uniqueness - tight, short, ob...but on the water in Aquidneck Island.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back