News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill Brightly

Most memorable WITHOUT water
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
Naturally, the responses to the thread on "most memorable hole" were holes that had water.

So what are your most memorable holes withour water??? The 10th at Pine Valley comes to mind, but probably because of it's name...

Merion's quarry hole, Plainfield's par 5 16th with beautiful cross bunkers also come to mind.

What are yours?

C. Squier

Re:Most memorable WITHOUT water
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
The Redan at Chicago Golf.  I could play that hole 18 times in a row.  Check that, 36 times in a row.

CPS

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »
par 3, maybe 17 Sand Hills...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:12:13 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
Great answer, I have not played Chicago but is definitely on my list!

The redan at my course, Hackensack, is our best hole and I have yet to play a better one...including the great one at Somerset Hills, but I may be a little prejudiced...

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:17:35 PM »
#14 (par-4), Foxy, at Royal Dornoch is certainly a contender for the most memorable hole without either water or any bunkers.

Some day, I will make 4 there! ;)

BVince

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »
I think the 4th @ Bethpage is world class.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »
A handful of holes at PD...

#2, 3, 7, 16, and 18 come to mind...

Roger Tufts

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
#9 at Royal County Down.... walking over the ridge where you first see the fairway... pictures don't give that sight justice.

#14 at Royal Portrush... #5 as well there. 14 is a BIG TIME par-3. It takes a very, very good shot to make par there. Nicknamed Calamity Corner for a reason. 5 for the same reasons stated above... its just a great hole.

#18 at Kapalua Plantation. The hole is just a MAMMOTH.

Those three are 3/6 from my other thread, all not containing water. If you tell me that water can't be seen in the background, then I'm screwed. All three of those play in ocean settings.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:46:44 AM »
par 3, maybe 17 Sand Hills...

Monsignor Daley,

I think you have hit the jackpot. My good friend, Neil Regan, took a photograph of me on this hole and with all due modesty, think  it shoud be in Golf Digest's Hall of Fame of classic swings. I think he may have used some magic tricks to enhance it.

Bob

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:10 AM »
"Most memorable" does not neccessarily equate to best. That being said, I have to go with #1 at Tobacco Road.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Sir Boab, I tend to believe that Mr. Regan simply captured the moment by making the click at the correct instant, and the spectacle of the course before you brought out the classic swing.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »
Postage stamp at Troon comes to mind.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »

Yeah, that's one tough and memorable small hole...It was blowing about 40mph into my grill, I hit the ball solid and it just died.  I was suprised by how much fall off there is to the right of the hole.  I not only remember the hole and my playing of it, but exactly how my father-in-law played it as well.  Good choice.

Bart
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:07:50 PM by Bart Bradley »

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »
10th at Riviera

11th at LACC

16th at Pasatiempo

5th at Colonial

1st at Spyglass (Does a distant ocean view count?)

3rd at Ojai

8th at Rustic

15th at Pauma Valley

12th at RSFGC

15th at Barona

17th at Pelican Hill (same question for Spyglass)

16th at PGA West Stadium

12th at Stone Eagle

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
#13 Eagle Ridge, Yatesville Lake SP, KY.

No one can hit just one!

http://parks.ky.gov/golftrail/18hole/yl/gallery/

Holes from this wonderful course; click on bottom left one for #13.

Doug

Powell Arms

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 09:30:34 PM »
Two holes stand out for me, in part because of their architecture, but also because of the history and aura associated with the hole.  They are #1 and #18 ar Merion (East).  When playing #1 for the first time, the thoughts on the tee are almost debilitating.  From "hey, I'm really here" to "please don't put your tee bal into someone's turtle soup", it's an awesome set of feelings.  On #18, who could help but be moved wehn strolling past the Hogan plaque in the fairway.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 09:49:56 PM »

Two holes stand out for me, in part because of their architecture, but also because of the history and aura associated with the hole.  They are #1 and #18 ar Merion (East).  When playing #1 for the first time, the thoughts on the tee are almost debilitating.  From "hey, I'm really here" to "please don't put your tee bal into someone's turtle soup", it's an awesome set of feelings.  On #18,

You know, I thought of Merion 1, but changed it to the quarry hole...But I will always remember Merion 1 the first time I played it, with the people on the patio watching, with the wicker basket pin in the distance...and I hit my 5 wood to keep it in the fairway, 7 iron to the green, two putts and one of my favorite pars ever!

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 09:53:05 PM »
Some of mine:

Banff Springs #14

Sand Hills #14 & 16

Ballyneal #7

Most recently, and the subject of another thread, Long Shadow #17 was pretty darn memorable as well

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:23 AM »
Part of my choice as well is what a card wrecker this hole can be if you don't recover smartly.  Try anything stupid out of those bunkers or off the green and you're in a real mess.  Fantastic stuff.

Someday I'll play it.  Someday...

Another good one is that Foxy hole mentioned at Dornoch.  Tricky but great drama if you're not careful.

Yeah, that's one tough and memorable small hole...It was blowing about 40mph into my grill, I hit the ball solid and it just died.  I was suprised by how much fall off there is to the right of the hole.  I not only remember the hole and my playing of it, but exactly how my father-in-law played it as well.  Good choice.

Bart
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:41:30 PM »
#13 Merion
#14 The Honors

Two great examples of my favorite hole (short par 3).

Brian Laurent

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »
#14 at Weyhill has always been one of my favorites.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Dan Boerger

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »

Personal favorites of mine ...

#5 at Merion West and #2 at Walton Heath New. Two great 2 and 1 shot holes.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
#6 at CC of Buffalo is EXTREMELY memorable...

170 yards, the green is in the middle of a 200-yd-wide semi-circular quarry (you tee off from the rim, the open end of the quarry is behind the green) that is about 30 feet deep with a flat bottom.  The green is elevated from the middle of the bottom of the quarry to about the rim level, canted severely from back to front, with a back tier.  Whitten's course critic review compared the green to the listing Titanic...

There are a couple other holes that use the quarries there, like #s 5, 11, 12, and 13.  It's a very good and under the radar Ross layout.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:23:44 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Bill Brightly

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »
#14 at Weyhill has always been one of my favorites.  

Ah, the quarry hole! I will be bringing 3 friends there tomorrow, none of the have seen the course...

I keep my mouth shut about the hole until they walk up the hill from the 13th green to the 14th tee and watch the look on their faces!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back