News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:What is the average handicap of a Golf Club Atlas poster?
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »
Donnie Beck, how you do dat?  :o ;D

While that is remarkable, the precipitous drop in your handi over the short span of a northern season by well over half, the fact that a super has 45 rounds in is real determination to get out there as well.  

What gets me is that they say you should play to your handicap about once in every 6 rounds.  Well, I come close... but those other 5 or 6 times can be some real clinkers.  ::) :-\ :-[
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »
I played a lot in my teens, but was only playing once every couple of weeks prior to this year. I caught the bug have been going out at least 2-3 nights a week this year.  My fishing is suffering greatly, but I am enjoying the time on the course.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »
It is interesting to see all these incredibly low handicaps.

I may be wrong, but the only members of this august site that I have seen that have played with me at CPC and MPCC that scored anywhere near their potential were as follows.

Lou Duran was four under after the fourteenth at CPC, a phenominal performance. His caddie steered him wrong at the 15th and his 9 iron was over the green by the water cooler. A couple of holes later his score was under water. Joel Stewart, Tom Huckaby and Mike Benham were equally adept at playing to their index, but on the whole I cannot think of anyone else that impressed. My friend from New Zealand, Ash Towe, did well, but I was not there to witness it. There are others that played at Cypress but were unaccompanied and I did not check the scores.

If I have slighted others who played the Point do forgive me, at my age the memory synapses close at the most inopportune moments.

Bob

Addendum:

I have received a message from an uninterested lurker, sent at great expense by Fed Ex, that one player who not only played with Lou Duran that fateful day one who shot a sparkling 74, three strokes below his handicap. I daresay I was concentrating on the main man and considered the rest of the group to be nothing but spear carriers.

It was none other than the putative Earl of Sutherland, or as we know him, 'Dornoch Rich.'

Bob

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:55 PM »
Index 9.5 - avid golfer

Steve Wilson

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »
Formerly avid, now an occasional enthusiast

12.7 and climbing.  I did manage to play close to that at the Dixie Cup IV.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Lang

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
 8)

Grant Saunders.. are you going to integrate or transform averages with # of posts somehow?

avid-age-weight-waist-backswing-elbow-followthru impaired;

HCP Index History (per most recent TGA/USGA)
Date Index
10/12/07  12.2  

not frequent score poster.. beware of the TX 12.. aka stealth short gamer.. Best ever was 5.3, back to double digits in 2006, for first time in 15 years..   no fun in grinding.. free at last..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:41:30 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brian Joines

« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2007, 09:39:57 PM »
Avid golfer with a 6.9 index

igrowgrass

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
Golf Course Staffer.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
Oh...I've been having some soreness in my placiator joint and sacrum scrotal taint as of late and my index has risen to a slightly embarrassing 147.6.  

Jim Thompson

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2007, 10:16:35 PM »
I'd say the average handicap is a combination of to much thinking on the course and not enough bourbon!  11.3 with bourbon 20+ without ;)
Jim Thompson

John_Cullum

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2007, 10:25:13 PM »
Oh...I've been having some soreness in my placiator joint and sacrum scrotal taint as of late and my index has risen to a slightly embarrassing 147.6.  

I think you just cut yourself shaving
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »

John,

Have you ever tried to find the appropriate place to apply a tourniquet to the area?  

Is it any wonder my putting is starting to suffer as I become slightly feint with plasma loss?  

John_Cullum

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
Have you ever tried to find the appropriate place to apply a tourniquet to the area?  

NO
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2007, 01:02:31 AM »

John,

Mike

Very nicely put.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2007, 01:57:23 AM »

Mike

Are you sure that's not your USGA slope?

If I were you I'd look for evidence of Dean Knuth having recently visited your placiator joint......

Constructively

Rich

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2007, 05:28:34 AM »
Professional, Club Handicap +2.4
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mark Pearce

« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2007, 05:29:57 AM »
Keen golfer, 11.5
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2007, 08:41:25 AM »
Avid / obsessed golfer ... 12.5 index
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »
Avid golfer.

Index is 2.2, which corresponds to a 2 at my home club.

With having a baby in August, there is no way I could play to it right now.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »
It is interesting to see all these incredibly low handicaps.

I may be wrong, but the only members of this august site that I have seen that have played with me at CPC and MPCC that scored anywhere near their potential were as follows.

Lou Duran was four under after the fourteenth at CPC, a phenominal performance. His caddie steered him wrong at the 15th and his 9 iron was over the green by the water cooler. A couple of holes later his score was under water. Joel Stewart, Tom Huckaby and Mike Benham were equally adept at playing to their index, but on the whole I cannot think of anyone else that impressed. My friend from New Zealand, Ash Towe, did well, but I was not there to witness it. There are others that played at Cypress but were unaccompanied and I did not check the scores.

If I have slighted others who played the Point do forgive me, at my age the memory synapses close at the most inopportune moments.

Bob

Addendum:

I have received a message from an uninterested lurker, sent at great expense by Fed Ex, that one player who not only played with Lou Duran that fateful day one who shot a sparkling 74, three strokes below his handicap. I daresay I was concentrating on the main man and considered the rest of the group to be nothing but spear carriers.

It was none other than the putative Earl of Sutherland, or as we know him, 'Dornoch Rich.'

Bob

Bob, I'm crushed.

Taking into consideration the inopportune closing of your memory synapses, I still held out hope that I was at least dimly memorable, seeing as we played together less than a month ago. I had myself at 79 at MPCC, Huckaby had me at 76 -- either way, that qualifies as close to my 5 handicap -- doesn't it?

As for CPC earlier in the day (a round you were not there to witness), I admit I was in awe of the place all day, and couldn't shake out of my stupor until the eighth hole. But I did post a 38 on the inward nine.

Fighting for my reputation :),

Rick Shefchik (4.8)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2007, 09:43:45 AM »
Oh...by the way guys.

Whatever Huckaby tells you his handicap is, lower it by about 5 strokes before agreeing to play against him.

He's a veritable machine.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »
20 rounds this year. More than the past couple of years; less than many years before that. So: as avid as possible.

Index 6.8, for now.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Sean Leary

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »
Avid Golfer. 3.2 Index. Undefeated straight up against Jordan Wall.

Lou Duran is a 10 and he might be better than me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:37 AM »
Avid Golfer. 3.2 Index. Undefeated straight up against Jordan Wall.

Lou Duran is a 10 and he might be better than me.

Duran is a 10 because he plays so slow he needs a dial up connection to post his scores.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:56:59 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »
Rick,

My apologies, yes,  you are another player who played to your number and anyone birdieing 15 and 16 at CPC can qualify as "The real Deal."

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back