News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David_Tepper

Intercollegiate Tourney at the Meadow Club, Oct. 8 & 9
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:46:11 PM »
For those Bay Area golfers with some time on their hands Monday and/or Tuesday, the Mackenzie Intercollegiate Golf Tournament will be held at the Meadow Club in Fairfax on October 8 & 9. Sixteen college golf teams will be competing. They will play 36 holes on Monday and 18 holes on Tuesday.

Spectators are welcome. This is a good chance to see a wonderful golf course in a beautiful setting.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:49:47 PM by David_Tepper »

ed_getka

Re:Intercollegiate Tourney at the Meadow Club, Oct. 8 & 9
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:47:13 PM »
David,
  Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I was up there a couple of years ago for this and it was good fun to see those college boys 3-putt the 3rd green, after hitting driver, then SW (or less) in. Only to have the green eat their lunch when they didn't put their wedge shot on the proper part of the green. The looks on their faces were priceless, as you could obviously see they expect 2 putts to be their birthright.
   David Sexton and Sean Tully do a great job with the course and if you haven't seen it since Mike DeVries did his work it is worth your time to go up and take a look. The setting alone on the side of Mt Tamalpais is worth your time. The golf course is a bonus. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:46:12 AM »
Not sure if I'll make this one - I doubt it since I'm in L.A. right now - but it's a good year for college golf in the Bay Area. In addition to this weekend, there's

a decent field at Silver Creek in San Jose in a week or two;

a good field at CordeValle (I'll be there one day) in early November;

a good field, I'd think, at Stanford in April;

and the PAC 10 Championship at Meadow Club in late April.

I'm sure there are a couple more I don't know about.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »
Don't forget Pasatiempo in the spring :D....hot damn, I just saw that the WCC tournament is at Chambers Bay in the spring as well. Go Broncos!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
What a wonderful place to watch a great event. Jim is a great professional and the team keep the course in superb condition.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:50:53 PM »
Shoot. I won't be able to make it out there...

What's the scoop on the Silver Creek tourney? I'd love to see Strantz's redesign. Who's playing and when?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 01:12:51 PM »
Shoot. I won't be able to make it out there...

What's the scoop on the Silver Creek tourney? I'd love to see Strantz's redesign. Who's playing and when?

Kyle - if you want to go to that to see the young studs play, by all means knock yourself out... just don't go there expecting to see a great golf course.  Strantz improved things for sure, but one truly can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  That is one cartball nightmare track for the most part.

H

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:20:37 PM »

Strantz improved things for sure, but one truly can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  That is one cartball nightmare track for the most part.

H

I'll bet Aidan Bradley could pull it off... Just look at what he did for "The Ranch" course over the hill. But I read you. I'll bring comfortable shoes, lots of water, and expectations beneath what my experiences at MPCC-Shore might dictate.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 01:26:47 PM »
Oh there is ZERO doubt Aidan could produce some photos that make that look as beautiful and fun as Cypress Point... but that man is a magician.

;D

Methinks your other statement there is the proper attitude.  MPCC-Shore that ain't.

TH

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »
;D

Methinks your other statement there is the proper attitude.  MPCC-Shore that ain't.

TH

Surely the gigantic, Trumpesque waterfall on the 18th/19th hole must count for something in the MPCC comparison. ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Sure.... it counts for "what do I have to do here because the ostentatious homes around the course show me what these members want and thank God I don't have to do this crap at MPCC."

;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:07:44 AM »
The individual leader is Daryl Fathauer of the University of Louisville who shot 61-67, 14 under, on day 1.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

AndrewB

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:28:27 AM »
The individual leader is Daryl Fathauer of the University of Louisville who shot 61-67, 14 under, on day 1.

His brother made it to the quarter-finals of the US Am at Olympic in August.  They must like Northern California.

I'm most surprised to see that at 14 under he's only leading by three: someone else shot 71-60.  Golfstat has the results.

Can someone who has seen the course comment on why these college players might be shooting such low rounds?  Over half the field is under par through 36 holes.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 12:36:27 AM »
Andrew - as great as Meadow is, it's a pretty short course and can definitely be overpowered... and the greens while wonderfully contoured are not in general as crazy as Pasatiempo, and it's also quite flatter.  So whereas Pasa plays longer than its distance and has greens that CAN keep great players in check given crazy enough pin placements, Meadow really has none of that.  It doesn't surprise me at all the college boys are going low... they also must have had great weather.

TH

igrowgrass

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 01:29:40 AM »
Zach Bixler from the University of Washington shot 60 today in the second round.  Yes 60 (30-30)
It has only been done four other times in NCAA history
(Paul Casey, Bryce Molder, Brock Mackenzie, and Daniel Summerhays)

He missed a 7 foot birde in the 17th hole that would have got him to 11 under par.  Standing on the 18th Tee he was 10 under par and made a 12 foot birdie putt on the final hole to post 60.

You can follow the final round tomorrow on www.golfstat.com

Of the five people who have now shot 60 in a collegiate tournamnet two of them played have played at the University of Washington. Bixler and Mackenzie.

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »
Andrew -

The three par-5's at the Meadow Club (par-71) are very much on the short side (492, 522 & 508 yards from the black tees).  The greens on those holes are not especially well guarded either.

I am guessing than anyone who shot 60 or 61 was 3- or 4-under on those three holes.

I would also think that the scoring could vary greatly depending upon where the pins are set. Given the need to play 36-holes on Monday, it is possible the pins were in easier spots.

It will be interesting to see if the scores are as low on Tuesday as they were on Monday. It would also be interesting to know if the pins are set in tougher spots on the greens.

DT
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:27:36 AM by David_Tepper »

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »

It will be interesting to see if the scores are as low on Tuesday as they were on Monday. It would also be interesting to know if the pins are set in tougher spots on the greens.

The scores were much higher today with the winner finishing at -13 with a 1 over round today.

The kid who shot 60 yesterday, shot 75 today ...

A Mac Invitation Scores
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
In addition to the reachable par 5s, #13 is a reachable short par 4.  At least it was last December when young Jonathan McCord drove it  :o

So for the longest hitters who are also accurate, it's effectively a par 67.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »
Mike Benham -

Just based on looking at the scores over both days, my guess is they had the pins in pretty easy spots on Monday (to facilitate getting 2 rounds in) and much harder spots on Tuesday (as only one round was played).

However, that is total speculation on my part.

DT

Matt_Cohn

College Tournament at CordeValle 11/5-7
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
I'm planning on going to watch either Monday or Tuesday. Tee times are probably early. Anyone want to join?

It should be a good field as the tournament is actually hosted by UCLA.

For those who don't know, CordeValle is in San Martin, just south of San Jose and west of the 101.

Green fees for resort guests start at $390(!). I'm curious to see what golfers get for so much money.

edit: The field is Arizona, Augusta State, Coastal Carolina, Lamar University, Northwestern, Santa Clara Univ., Southern California, Stanford University, Texas A&M University, UCLA, Washington.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:15:30 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Kevin_Reilly

Re:College Tournament at CordeValle 11/5-7
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »
The field is ...Texas A&M University....

One more chance to see the rocket launcher John Hurley.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »
SWEET!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »
Update, the pro shop said it's an 8:00 shotgun Monday and Tuesday. I'll probably be there Tuesday.

Maybe I'll be the only one.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:00:02 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
Alright, Huck, I'll take my Northwestern University Wildcats against your Santa Claus University Whatevertheyare's for beers next GCA event....

DONE.
And we are the BRONCOS, holding that name LONG before the interlopers from Denver.

Matt - if you have more than 100 non-family members besides you out there watching this, I'd be shocked.  But do report on the gallery size.. and your impressions of the course... I've played there once, liked it enough.  

TH

Matt OBrien

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
Daryl Fathauer played in last weeks tournenement at Tesoro with his brother as amatuers. They did not make the cut tho.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back