News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael_Stachowicz

How much bounce
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »
Do you get from a firm course?  Can you through a ball down and have it come back to waste height?  Higher?  Just trying to set some goals...

JESII

Re:How much bounce
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »
Enough so that the ball doesn't get dirt on it...

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
Enough so that the ball doesn't get dirt on it...

Nothing like setting high goals...

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
 High enough so that you don't have to use a clam gun to retrieve it.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

gookin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:33:26 PM »
Walking our course with our new Super Jason Hurwitz, he regularly throws a ball down on the fairway. His objective is to have the ball bounce waist high. It may take a few more years to achieve this on a regular basis. My understanding is the USGA actually has a complicated machine they use to measure the same thing.

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
At Bandon Dunes last week the courses were firm enough that I never had to use a towel to clean my ball during the tournament. Now that's a good setup in my book.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Mr. Dusic.....those tests are v. technical, and therefore v. expensive.  In the spirit of Tom Paul, cases of pinot might be involved!!!!

Tom
the pres

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
Michael;

After rereading, and therefore more respectfully, how much bounce a turf offers seems to me to be incredibly varied, from the time of year (and therefore the firmness resulting from wind, temp, moisture, etc), to the soil type, to the cultural practices such as aeration, topdressing, fertility, etc.

If you are a superintendent then you intimately know what factors might effect bounce, and if you are a greens chairman or committeeman then I would almost plead with you to not expect your super to come up with some level of bounce, some predetermined goal that someone uses to define what is 'good' or 'not so good.' Any good super is busy growing healthy turf and must allow the bounce to be what it is secondarily to turf that has good structure and vitality.  We would hope that the supers' healthy turf is firm and lean, but it might not be so, for the factors suggested above, and others as well.

Certainly bounce here at Bandon is going to be different than ANY other place...even within each of these three courses there might be v. significant differences, or even within each course.....think of Royal Liverpool as the almost completely brown (or tawny, as we like to say here) venue of the 2006 Open Championship, or Newport CC, or any other links environment.  Or any other course for that matter.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully, and have fun!
Tom J
the pres

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:20:53 PM »
One of the great pleasures is feeling how much bounce the turf will yield from one day to the next.
The pinnacle experience before recent events had to be Wild Horse circa 2002. Low irons were running out to almost 70 yards. Higher clubs, anywhere from 20-40 yards of beautiful bounce and roll.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back