News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re:Drop-shot par-3s - best examples. 6th at NGLA not included.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »
A couple of photos found on the web (I have no idea who the guy is in the second picture, or why he decided to wear those shorts to play golf):

The shorts?  I love his anklets and arm bands. :o :o  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Bill Gayne

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 07:38:22 PM »
Golden Horseshoe has three drop shot par threes. Individually, all of them are good holes. The question that gets raised; are three drop shot par threes too many?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 08:00:04 PM »
The 9th at Chambers Bay looks rather stunning.

Wayne mentioned most of the good ones around here, but he forgot the 12th hole at Lancaster.  ;)

12 at Leatherstocking is awesome and I almost holed out there after a blind shot from the tee, proof that the lucky squirrel...

Speaking of Merion West...it's one of those courses that sticks in the mind.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:18:06 PM by MikeCirba »

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
Nice call on Lancaster's 12th and the 12th at Leatherstocking.  Speaking of Merion West and drop shot par 3s, what about the 4th?  What a great hole with a very difficult to read green.  Merion West is a golf course worthy of study and praise.

Sorry, I don't have a very good photograph.  It is 205 from the back tee (this tee is about 170) and drops about 40 feet.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »
Getting off the wagon, I'll go in with 7th at Lehigh.  Evan mentioned 12 at Leatherstocking.  

What's the elevation change between the tee and green on the 6th at NGLA?
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 06:54:04 AM »
Surely the 7th at Pebble is one of the best. I also enjoyed the 3rd at Woburn (Dukes) - the green is wickedly tricky.

One of the best examples in Aust. is 16th at Araluen in WA and the Old 15th at my home course in Wollongong.

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 07:03:03 AM »
The 7th at Lehigh is one of the most dramatic I've seen. It must be 100 feet down there across a river and it's long at 222 from the tips.

There's one at Reading CC that sure got my attention too. I think in the old days we hit woods to it.

But for a course that has tees that just seem like they are on top of the world to holes really far below I don't believe I've ever seen anything like some of those at The Bridge in Long Island. On some of them you can look across the Long Island Sound all the way to Connecticut.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »
I am generally not a fan of severe drop shots, but Painswick's 15th isn't too severe and its like hitting into a natural dell.  Good hole.  

BTW Painswick is looking for a new Head Greeenkeeper!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 08:52:32 AM »

There's one at Reading CC that sure got my attention too. I think in the old days we hit woods to it.

OMG...how could I forget?!?   :o

The 15th hole is an Alex Findlay stunner.  It's about 230, far downhill, and over a creek with a steep bank and woods behind.  

Easily the most difficult hole on that course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 09:10:30 AM »

OMG...how could I forget?!?   :o

The 15th hole is an Alex Findlay stunner.  It's about 230, far downhill, and over a creek with a steep bank and woods behind.  

Easily the most difficult hole on that course.

Snapped a couple of photos of this hole recently:

http://tinyurl.com/2lupvk
http://tinyurl.com/33jvoh
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
And as Steve Shaffer has reminded me, there is probably a 75 ft drop or more on #17 at Cobb's Creek, which I think can play up to 200 yards from the tips:

http://tinyurl.com/2usp2a
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 09:39:24 AM by Joe Bausch »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »
Joe,

We also forgot about #4 at McCall Field!   ::) :-[ ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:17 AM »
The 16th at Red Sky Ranch (Norman Course) near Vail, CO, at 283y from the tips. The picture doesn't show the greater drop from the back tees:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
Joe,

We also forgot about #4 at McCall Field!   ::) :-[ ;)

Ah, yes, a real beaut too!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »
The 9th at Chambers Bay looks rather stunning.

Wayne mentioned most of the good ones around here, but he forgot the 12th hole at Lancaster.  ;)

12 at Leatherstocking is awesome and I almost holed out there after a blind shot from the tee, proof that the lucky squirrel...

Speaking of Merion West...it's one of those courses that sticks in the mind.

This is the only photo I could find of the 12th at Leatherstocking.  It plays about 135-ish and is much more blind and straight downhill than this photo makes it out to be.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:47:44 AM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »
The 7th at Lehigh is one of the most dramatic I've seen. It must be 100 feet down there across a river and it's long at 222 from the tips.

But for a course that has tees that just seem like they are on top of the world to holes really far below I don't believe I've ever seen anything like some of those at The Bridge in Long Island. On some of them you can look across the Long Island Sound all the way to Connecticut.

Tom-

7 at Lehigh is great...the ball just seems to hang in there air forever.  The green looks far from the tee, but it plays a lot shorter; the day Bill had me up, I think I used a 6 iron.  Sounds about right, considering the drop.  

15 at Reading is a good hole.  It's still long, and it plays long.  I was hesitant to bring this one up, but when you think about it, the shot required is a high shot that lands softly.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

wsmorrison

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »
Here is another photo of the 12th at Leatherstocking.  It doesn't show the change in elevation very well, but a bit better than the previous photo.  The tee is above and behind the location this photograph was taken.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:03:58 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
If I can add to the 12th at Leatherstocking commentary, the green is totally blind from the tee.  You can walk to the front edge of the teeing ground and look down and see the green, and get an aiming point off one of the trees and buildings behind the green.  
Above Reading and Lehigh in an informal ranking, probably the most picturesque of the drop shot holes brought forward here.  

David_Madison

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
Champion Hills #9 - - Tom Fazio's course in Hendersonville, NC. The hole is pretty long from the tips, but the drop chops off at least three or four clubs.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
The 4th at Olde Homestead in the Lehigh Valley of PA:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:26:21 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Miller

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
The 14th at the Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course is a lot of fun.  It drops quite a bit but plays longer than it looks--my entire group ended up in the front bunkers or the ravine.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
#13 At Eagle Ridge drops 240ft. Of course, at 325yd it is a par-4, but most of you can reach it from the tee easily, I estimate 60-75yd added for the drop, wind not withstanding. Sensational hole.

Doug

Andy Troeger

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

#16 at Paa-Ko Ridge
#16 at Wolf Run
#11 at Castle Pines
#14 at Stonehenge (TN)
#17 at Lakota Canyon Ranch
#12 at Shoreacres

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »
m dugger......I question #2 at Bandon Trails...at 215 yards, it sure doesn't feel like a drop shot, as the distance dominates, at least IMO.  I agree that Pac #10 from the upper qualifies, even given the characteristics of the wind, and the resulting need to 'drive' the ball into it.

I grew up at Torrey Pines, and #6 north immediately came to mind.

Tom
the pres

James Bennett

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »
Speaking of Merion West and drop shot par 3s, what about the 4th?  What a great hole with a very difficult to read green.  Merion West is a golf course worthy of study and praise.

Sorry, I don't have a very good photograph.  It is 205 from the back tee (this tee is about 170) and drops about 40 feet.

this photo is from Spring 2006 - you can see through the trees.

I liked the view back up Merion West #7.

However, Pebble #7 is hard to beat.

and, for Sean Arble (and Bill McBride) - Painswick's #15.  If Bill has any agronomy experience, I expect he is negotiating with his wife to emigrate and take up that greenkeeping position.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back