News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Differences between good architects and bad
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »
I have often been told that the difference between a good building architect and a bad building architect is that a good building architect copies good and a bad building architect copies bad. Do you think that could be applied also to golf course architect and if so what percentage? ::)

RJ_Daley

Re:Differences between good architects and bad
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 12:57:27 AM »
Randy, what would the question assume is being copied by a good or bad archie, from good or bad design strategy and style, or design construction techniques?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
Good construction design guidelines exists and are followed by most not copied. One could also assemble a list of good basic design stratigies that hopefully will be incorparated into the golfing experience. I think its more about a style issue.

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:59:21 PM »
I have often been told that the difference between a good building architect and a bad building architect is that a good building architect copies good and a bad building architect copies bad. Do you think that could be applied also to golf course architect and if so what percentage? ::)

Yeah......and probably about 17%.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »
Randy,

I'm reminded of a quote I heard from the late, great Harry Chapin, who condensed similar sentiments by Stravinsky and  others by simply saying, "great artists steal, bad artists borrow".  

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »

Yeah......and probably about 17%.

Paul,

I always thought it was 17.3%, but what's 0.3% among friends.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »
Okay, serious answer.

In golf architecture, I always thought of it more as "adapting" ideas rather than copying them. While you could copy doorknobs or dresses (and knockoffs are there all the time) given the land we work on, its only possible to get the same idea in, but it has to fit the land, meaning its probably going to be bigger, smaller, reversed or whatever to really work on site.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Randy Thompson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
Jeff,
 Good honest answer, thanks! I see things I like sometimes in different areas of the world and when visiting a site I come across areas that have a certain potential and can't  ???help but vision past creations that seem natural for the site. But its like you said, its not like a dress you are copying, its a dress but you try to give it as much individual personality as possible. An example is the photo of Isla Margarita, the last picture in the interview this month. Look at the penensilua in the photo, its about forty feet above the ocean and there are two points that stick out, one is perfect for a tee location and the other for a green location but....some could say another cypress point or pebble beach. But after reading the water hazard thread maybe the the solution would be to build a big retaining wall and fill the area between the two points so you don't have to cross the ocean, that would be oriiginal, oh no, that could slow play. Oh well, guess I will know what to do when the times comes and accept that no matter what I do, I will please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time. ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back