News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Pasatiempo over time
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
Just when I start to think that maybe the tree lovers are right, I stumble on this comparison....

Pasatiempo #1 in 1930:

http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/slideshows/flash/hist1/hist1.php

Pasatiempo #1 in 2001:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:05:22 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Rob_Waldron

Re:Pasatiempo over time
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »
I played Pasa earlier this year and the tee shot on #1 is rather intimidating. The believe the right trees were planted to protect players coming up #9 and the left trees to protect the driving range. There has been some talk of doing something with the driving range. I understand Tom Doak has been attempting to convince the club to eliminate trees in many other areas as well.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
You need to show a picture of #1 as it is today - the trees are a LOT thinner than in 2001.  You can clearly see all the way through 9 fairway to the entrance road.  Shots hit into them are not nearly as dead as they were in 2001.

So progress is being made....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
Contrasting 1930 with today, the houses are as obtrusive as the trees, but I'll bet no thinning is contemplated!

Mike Hoak

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
To illustrate Tom's point about tree thinning, the picture below was taken in August 2006.  It's subtle, but there is a little bit of difference on the right hand side.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:39:22 PM by Mike Hoak »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
Mike - cool pic!

I bet a pic today would show even greater thinning.  But that one does the trick.  The key is once you get past that large tree where the cart on the right is, it's really sparse - just little trees - until you get to the larger ones by the green.  The end result is a shot to the right is not nearly as dead as it once was.

And that's a good thing.

TH

Tom Yost

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:45:34 PM »
This may have been presented to the group before, but I found this page describing the restoration work and links to pictures of the holes as original, before restoration and after restoration.

http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/restore/index.php

Fantastic stuff.

Tom

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »
It is also obvious that the addition of houses along the property has had an unfortunate effect.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
The back nine is currently being worked on by the Renaissance guys, so the next group of GCA'ers who come through should try to take some pix. 13,14, 16,17 and 18 greens are having some "surgery".
   Too bad for Ash as he is making NorCal tour.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back