News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Re:Are short game areas becoming more popular?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 04:54:13 PM »

I'm not sure how far you can go in match play... practice putts, or can you go so far as practice chips while waiting to tee off?

We'll see lots of practice putting at the President's Cup.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »
JK, you are tooooooooo kind, sir.  ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »

I think it is a crime to kill even a single blade of grass outside the scope of your round.  I do not like practice swings for this reason and also believe that any practice chip from more than ten feet off the edge of a green causes damage.  Practice putting is fine if you do it to an area away from the hole just played.  I believe the people behind you deserve to play a course no less damaged than you and doing a polka around a cup because you are bored is both selfish and rude.

So John,

Will you then take this to the next step and say that beginners should be banned from finishing thier holes out with a "4 putt polka"???   ;D  ;D  Should it be 2 putts and pick up in every situation?

What I find rude is that guy who drags his feet on the green and leaves big scuff marks with the bottom of thier softspike shoes. As I'm a big guy, I try to be extra careful of not walking in peoples lines because my foot impressions go a bit deeper...   ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:02:41 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
I have the same problem with practice swings, putts, etc.  Practice on the PRACTICE area and PLAY on the course.  I've instituted a penalty for full practice swings in my groups (or at least I give them an overdose of grief for it).  Tears up the course and slows down play.  They also wonder why they're tired after a round - they've played 36.

The small ball marks are the most brutal ones too - the opnes from 20 or so yeards -you may not see them well emough, but they're there making it worse for everyone else.  Period.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 05:39:07 PM »
How does one practice their short game if their course doesn't have a short game area?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
How does one practice their short game if their course doesn't have a short game area?

Go to the local soccer field.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »

We have a rule at our club that you cannot practice on the course.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 06:12:52 PM »
I'm no rules maven, but at least in medal play tournaments, it is against the rules to practice while waiting for slow players ahead.  I'm not sure how far you can go in match play... practice putts, or can you go so far as practice chips while waiting to tee off?

It is not against the rules to putt on the green just completed in either medal or match play.  It is a local rule for the PGA Tour that NO practice putting is allowed on the greens, even after completing play.

Very occassionaly, one will see practice putting in a U.S. Open, especially if in the last group and the next hole is sure to have a slight wait.

I recall Lehman doing this one year.  Possibly when he was paired with and watched Steve Jones win his U.S. Open.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
While I didn't know you could ever take practice putts in medal play, only local rule or PGA prohibits... I still haven't seen an answer for practice chips in match play.

What if a guy in the upcoming President's cup rather than practice putts after his group has holed out, drops a ball in rough 5 feet off of a green because he may have chili dipped one, and practices that?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »

A concept used at a few clubs in SE Wisconsin is a 3 hole practice course. Two courses have them and a third is building one now. Real course conditions and situations. A place for beginners that are intimidated with the regulation course to learn the game. Or a place to practice shots you can't on the range and shoudn't on the course.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »
While I didn't know you could ever take practice putts in medal play, only local rule or PGA prohibits... I still haven't seen an answer for practice chips in match play.

What if a guy in the upcoming President's cup rather than practice putts after his group has holed out, drops a ball in rough 5 feet off of a green because he may have chili dipped one, and practices that?
From the USGA Rules of Golf:

7-2 During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.
Between the play of two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:
(a) the putting green of the hole last played, (b) any practice putting green, or (c) the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).
Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.
Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 7-2:
Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play— Two strokes.
In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.

Note 1: A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules,.
Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit:
(a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and(b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played.

Of course this begs the question - When is "chipping", no longer "chipping"?  The Rules of Golf do not define chipping, and none of the decisions I saw answer this question.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:09:28 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

JeffTodd

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »
I recently played Charleston Springs, a 36 hole complex run by the Monmouth County Park System in central NJ. While the course was good, but nothing special, the short game area was as good as anything I've seen. With three greens, firm turf, varied lies, grass and sand bunkers, and the ability to practice shots up to 100 yards both through the air and on the ground, it's a pretty fantastic spot for a short game junkie. I wound up taking more pictures of the practice area than I did of the course (deduct from that what you will).

I spent a good hour practicing before my round, and during that time I shared the area with only one other player, and for all of 5-10 minutes. (The photos were taken at 9am on a Saturday morning in August). However, at that same time there was no shortage of players hitting balls on the range, so perhaps that's the reason we don't see more facilities like this one, especially at public courses; too few users, and no additional revenue from those who do take advantage it.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 08:04:55 PM »
Seems most people like the idea of short game areas and that they are being built around the country.  Yes they do take up some space but not nearly as much as a full range.  They can serve multiple purposes (as some here have mentioned) and if designed properly, can accomodate many players safely at the same time.  We've had some fun with them and I do think they will become more popular.  Wonder if the same is taking place outside the U.S.?    
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:05:24 PM by Mark_Fine »

Richard Boult

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
We have a new 12 hole (all par 3) course - The Challenge - under construction in the housing development that includes the existing  18 hole championship course - Monarch Dunes. I'll probably play here more than the regulation size course. Both courses have been designed by Damian Pascuzzo.  The 5 holes that are done so far look very promising.  Tough par 3 course!!  Another 18 are planned a few years out.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »
JeffTodd,

Looking at your pictures of Charleston Springs, is that short game practice area new?  I used to practice there in '03-'06 when I still lived in the area.  Where exactly is it located?  From the pictures, it looks as if it's located a little bit up and to the left of the driving range, if one was standing on the driving range facing out onto the range.  

Hyatt Hills GC in Clark, NJ (right off GSP exit 135) has a good short game area--green with a lot of break to it, different ways to play shots 30 yards and in, also the opportunity to practice from deeper grass, fairway lies, or a bunker.  

Rutgers GC installed a good short game area (I think Kay may have done the design) that allows for fairway lies, lies in the rough, and a few bunkers.  Also a practice fairway bunker.  

I think, to offset Jim Sullivan's post about a non-earning asset, oftentimes, one has to pay to use the practice short game area at a public course--I know Rutgers charges about 10 bucks (it's free if you are paying a greens fee); Hyatt didn't seem to monitor theirs, and I haven't been back to Charleston so I don't know the policy there).  

To get back to Mark's original question, I like them; it provides something else to do during a practice session besides beating balls and putting (all of which are very important).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:50:28 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

JeffTodd

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
JeffTodd,

Looking at your pictures of Charleston Springs, is that short game practice area new?  I used to practice there in '03-'06 when I still lived in the area.  Where exactly is it located?  From the pictures, it looks as if it's located a little bit up and to the left of the driving range, if one was standing on the driving range facing out onto the range.  
Doug, that's exactly where it is. I actually took a look on google maps in order to get an aerial, but it wasn't constructed at the time of the satellite photo. However, I did find it on local live:

Link: Local Live

Regarding access, there is a clearly posted sign stating that the practice area is reserved for those who are playing/played one of the courses that day.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:58:41 PM by JeffTodd »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »
Mark - Thanks for your input on this very important part of golf.  The older we get the older our game deteriorates, and we need something to work on other than the range !

The range has become a conversationalist location, not a constrationalist location !

mike_beene

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »
Hogan didn't practice on the main course.Shady has a lot of land including a 9 hole par 3 course with lots of room.

C. Squier

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
JK - I'm going to bookmark this thread to revisit every time I'm ready to FedEx a bag of flaming dung to an Indiana doorstep.

I agree with you 100%.  I played college golf with a kid who took 2-3 practice swings on EVERY shot....with matching divots.  We played dog tracks, but that doesn't matter.  He was clueless, but I kept persistent enough to give him a complex about his actions.  Got so bad, he developed a swing habit that made him thin 70% of his real shots.  This is what I hate about scrambles too, 4 divots within inches of each other, all over the course.  I do my best to use driving range etiquette during a scramble and place my ball right on the edge so that only a wee bit of grass meets its maker.  

CPS

Steve Lapper

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:39 AM »
Short game areas are essential to improve your game and I really like some of the new ones I have seen. Pine Valley's is about the best, but Kinloch and Friars Head also have outstanding areas to name a few. The more the better IMHO.

Jim:

Bayonne's new short are (I wish I had pix) is even better than all the above you mentioned. I was partial to Friars before, but Bayonne has three greens/wedge targets, several bunkers, and two chipping areas....just stellar!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 07:04:43 AM »
"Does anyone else agree that short game areas are becoming more popular?"

They certainly have become more popular.

On reason clubs go to dedicated practice chipping areas is too many golfers use practice putting greens for chipping areas and particularly in wettish conditions this practice can really screw up practice putting greens.

JESII

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »
Hogan didn't practice on the main course.Shady has a lot of land including a 9 hole par 3 course with lots of room.

Fair enough...I was hoping to make a point against Ike and Tina, and I think I had one until you piped in with the facts...I never let facts get in the way of a good point...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »
Short game areas are essential to improve your game and I really like some of the new ones I have seen. Pine Valley's is about the best, but Kinloch and Friars Head also have outstanding areas to name a few. The more the better IMHO.

Jim:

Bayonne's new short are (I wish I had pix) is even better than all the above you mentioned. I was partial to Friars before, but Bayonne has three greens/wedge targets, several bunkers, and two chipping areas....just stellar!

Bayonne's is nice and I did forget that one, but I don't think it is near as good as Pine Valley's, but agree it is better than Friar's Head. Kinloch's is still pretty good too and you can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion.
Mr Hurricane

Nick Church

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
I believe short game areas are great for golfers because it allows for imaginative practice, head-to-head skill challenges, and a social gathering place.

On that last point, the social piece is sometimes overlooked.  For me, the putting green was always a place to play golf and chat.  There is no pace really --- no rush to hurry from the group behind like on the big course.  The short game area can be a more leisurely experience.

At the same time, I find short game areas to be the best, most effective practice.  Variety is the key.  Eventually, I find myself trying "crazy" shots (ridiculous flops, etc), but that serves to spark the imagination, which rarely happens on the range.  Plus, short game areas always quenched my desire for fulfilling practice especially when time was short (right before, or just after work --- on the way home).

I'm sure it's a loss on the balance sheet, but I'd be surprised if not more clubs / facilities offer fuller short game areas.  Not all can swing the 9 hole course (acreage & cost).  However, I think (hope) there is a latent demand for short game areas.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2007, 12:27:13 PM »
Musgrove Mill in Clinton SC has a great practice area.  You can hit shots from 150 yards in to two greens.  You can hit off hard pan, waste area, tight lies,  Bermuda rough, and long fescue.  It has room for up to nine players.  You can even turn around and hit a three wood out of a bunker because the short game area lies at the end of the regular practice area.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back