News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re:The Divot Crisis At St. Andrews
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
As Rich G. notes above, the dry soil, the wind and the birds looking for insects all work against replaced divots "sticking" in place long enough to grow back in.

One of the downsides of the humps, bumps and hollows on links courses is that balls tend to collect repeatedly in certain areas. As a result, play from those areas generates a lot of divots in close proximity. This is less of a problem on smoother, flatter (and less interesting!) courses.    

JESII

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »
It's a damn good thing to find your drive in a divot on a links course...especially in high winds...helps keep the ball down...

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
Gary

A problem on links courses is that due to the relative dryness of the soil, the divots don't really "stick" back in their holes and are easily blown away or, more often, removed by birds to get at the creatures dwelling in the holes.  A lot of courses even recommend that you NOT replace your divots, for that reason.  My guess is that R&A guys were following SOP.

One thing which seemed to work is a divot "nail" made of biodegradable material which you use to attach the divot to the ground.  I've only seen it at Lundin Links though, and a few years ago, and during the off season.  Not sure why it hasn't caught on.

Rich
Rich it was just too expensive.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »

Ever since play on the top links courses started to grow significantly in the mid-80s, all of these courses have employed divot-fillers, some more aciduously than others.  

My dear Richard,

I have waited for many a month to bring you to heel, with the greatest respect of course.

I think you meant  "assiduously."  

Yr Obdt Svt

RCH

Jason McNamara

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »

Ever since play on the top links courses started to grow significantly in the mid-80s, all of these courses have employed divot-fillers, some more aciduously than others.  

My dear Richard,

I have waited for many a month to bring you to heel, with the greatest respect of course.

He replied, non-acidly.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »

Divot collection area (3rd or 4th hole?) six-seven weeks prior to The Open 2000 edition. I got up at 4 am Sunday morning for a long constitutional.

Has it gotten worse? Theoretically, a large think divot can be replaced with little harm. The picker and sweeper swings cause the small divot holes which are prevalent.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:41:04 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »

My dear Richard,

Yr Obdt Svt

RCH

Thanks Bob

If one is to be brought to heel, 'tis best to be well heeled.

Rich

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
Man, this looks like an opportunity for some brainiack turf, engineer, inventor type.   Some sort of hydroseed-slurry tank with seed, fert, and non rootzone altering medium sand-organic, that gets slurrped into place, can stand up to the wind, and mower blades, and germinates in 3-5 days.  Put it on the back of the marshall's eazy-go and have him get out and slurp the divots with the magic mix.

That is in between times he is avoiding doing his primary job.  ;) ::) ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:53:10 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

James Bennett

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »
I like that nail-gun idea!  The claw hammer I was toting kept getting in the way of my hip turn.

Rhic, I presume you 'hammer' your putts as well?  (A 'claw' hammer/putt of course).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
James

Not when I play with my precious Titelist 90!  Thanks!

Rich

PS--I've still got it, even though it is a bit lumpy after 18 hard holes at Alwoodley.

R

Craig Disher

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 10:30:12 PM »
Is the Mcdivot anchor a solution? The little staple is obviously useless if the divot disintegrates and it may be a complete waste on a dry links course.

http://www.mcdivot.com/

Rich Goodale

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Craig

That's exactly what I was referring to in post #22 above!  Thanks for the confirmation of my (probably temporary) sanity.

Rich

Craig Disher

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 11:51:25 PM »
Rich,
I saw a box of them at Delamere Forest and didn't realize what they were for until after the round. They seem perfect for parkland courses and for the damp fairways found over here. I tried to generate some interest but everyone is used to the bottles of sand  - which don't do much for divots on steep slopes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 01:40:08 AM »
I remember some years ago a 12year old boy had to come up with an invention for his junior high class.  He came up with the biodegradable tee.  His dad got him up an running his own company.  I haven't seen them recently.  But, they were a great idea, I thought, just like this biodegradable divot spike.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 03:35:09 AM »
Sean

That was a Professional 100 I played at Deal.  It sleeps with the fescue at that place.  At Alwoodley, I played a fairly pristine Tour Balata 90 that Nick Leefe gave me courtesy of James Bennett.  It took its lumps, but did its job (2 and 1) and still sits in my bag.  I may bring it out at Kingsbarns today.......

Rich

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »
I just love how "American-style" golf is one step under a curse word.  If you don't like how "we" play, don't take our money to do so.  Simple.

This was from an earlier post..but perhaps a more thoughtful response should be......

If you dont like links conditions, dont pay the money and dont come to the home of golf!....even more simple.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
I just love how "American-style" golf is one step under a curse word.  If you don't like how "we" play, don't take our money to do so.  Simple.

This was from an earlier post..but perhaps a more thoughtful response should be......

If you dont like links conditions, dont pay the money and dont come to the home of golf!....even more simple.

So, people who's game include a divot shouldn't ever experience links golf?

I'm as big a proponent of dry, firm conditions with run up options, yet I often take divots. Where does this leave me? What's the thoughtful answer here?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David Ober

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51:40 PM »
The idea that hackers take larger divots than good players just isn't true.

Nobody takes larger divots than pro golfers. If you don't believe me, check out the fairway of a short par-4 the day after a PGA Tour event.

I sure haven't been to TOC but I doubt that the quality of the players has anything to do with this problem.

I'm no pro, but I take HUGE divots. In fact, if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that BETTER players tend to take larger (and more frequent) divots than high handicappers because they have mastered the art of hitting down on the back of the ball -- at least to some degree.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 09:23:15 AM »
Joe.
You miss my point..I am not against taking divots..and from one who grew up playing links golf, the statement that links golf does not allow divots is absurd.......however...my comment was directed at "american style" golf and not wanting to pay the money.
No..links golf is not American style, irrespective of divots, and if you want American style golf...stay at home.
Nothing to do with divots, just the statement that courses should change their set ups to suit ' american style" golf...I dont think any of us really want that to happen.

I was fortunate enough to recently play at Fishers Island who do not spend much time watering thier fairways, it was superb and played like a true links course.The fairways were more brown than green, and the "divots" exploded into the air..perfect links conditions.
I am sure many visiting the course would say it was ugly and brown and just not "get It" and then criticise it's top 20 ranking, on the basis of it not being green enough or "American" enough that was my point.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
Michael,

Thank you. You're right, I missed your point, almost completely!

Joe :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back