News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re:U.S. Mid-Am at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »
Steve,

Good playing in tough conditions...looks to me like a playoff at 8 over par...get your mind set for that and you'll be ready to go when the time comes.

In the meantime, go back to bed for a little nap, this is going to be a long day, you'll need your energy.

Good luck.

Brad,

Wouldn't it be great if these weather conditions were viewed as a positive? It is afterall an outdoor game isn't it?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
JES:

The weather conditions might be viewed as a positive competitively... but they sure must make the logistics of an event this huge difficult.  That's why I'm thinking like Brad - this may not bode well for future events at that great place... Hmmmm......

Brad Swanson

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »
Mr. Sullivan,
   I like playing in the elements, yes, but when part of the field gets much better weather conditions due to a weather delay than the other, I don't think that is an equitable solution to the qualifying rounds.  For the match play portion of the tournament, its obviously not as big of an issue.

Cheers,
Brad

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »
I scanned down the list of players (www.usga.org) and saw some interesting names.

Tripp Davis - I assume it's the golf architect - is tied with Steve at +8 and still on the course at Bandon Dunes.

Gary Wolstenholme, who didn't make the GB&I Walker Cup team but went to the matches at Royal County Down anyway, is at +6.  His 1 up win over young Anthony Kim, who routinely outdrove him by 80 yards, at Chicago Golf Club in the 2005 Walker Cup was the best singles match I've ever seen.  He's still got nine holes to play.

And our Walker Cup captain, Buddy Marucci, is also +6.  I wonder if he's as nervous as a player as he was as captain!  :o

Trip Kuene, who played well on the Walker Cup team as the only old guy, is at +1, he can still play!

JESII

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
Brad and Tom,

You guys are surely correct, but wouldn't it be great if you were wrong?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 10:47:28 AM by JES II »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »
Brad and Tom,

You guys are surely correct, but wouldn't it be great if you were wrong?

JES - good question - and the answer is YES.

;D

Steve Kline

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
I would have made match play without a playoff had there not been a weather delay. The wind was absolutely brutal yesterday. But, that's the luck of the draw. Nothing you can do about it.

The pro shop here yesterday was doing a killer business selling rain gloves, Goretex hats, etc.

I agree with Sully about the playoff.

Sully - I played the first two days with your good buddy Michael McDermott. Midway through the first round I asked if he qualified at Huntingdon Valley. He said yes. I told him about GCA and asked if he knew a Jim Sullivan. He just started laughing and said he was in your wedding party. The next hole and a half he was just shaking his head and saying classic thinking about the fact that I asked him about you.

Tripp Davis is the golf architect.

Mike Keiser, his wife, and two others followed my group for the first 6 holes at BD yesterday. I talked to him briefly. Very nice guy. BTW - it tells you a lot about the man that the guy who owns the place is out following random golfers in bad weather. He seemed to be thrilled to have the tournament at Bandon and he seemed even more thrilled for all of us that get to play in a tournament like this.

JESII

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »
Steve,

Maybe it wasn't so "random" for the owner to follow the guy that's posting updates on the event...

Mike's a great guy, I'm rooting for you to make it in without a playoff for more than one reason...it gets him into a playoff!

JESII

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »
Looks like 10 for 6 at +8...Steve should be playing shortly.

Not sure how to track scoring in a playoff, but the results will be up later...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
The weather was PERFECT for the Curtis Cup at Pacific Dunes.  I guess they just chose the wrong courses for this event.  ;)

JohnV

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »
the playoff is 10 for 5.  Among the 10 are Gary Wolstenholme, Nathan Smith (2003 Champion), Bert Atkinson (medalist in 1997) and our own Steve Kline.

6 co-medalists means that each of the guys who make it through the playoffs will get to play one.

I'm refereeing the 4:20 PM match today which will not finish unless it is a blowout.

The weather is beautiful right now.

JohnV

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2007, 03:48:40 PM »
Given the cost of travel, lodging and Gore-tex this may be the most expensive Mid-Am in history.  

Airfare Pittsburgh - Portland and back - $213.00 - I love Southwest Airlines
Car rental (PT Cruiser convertible) - $275.00
Hotel - 8 nights at Bandon Inn ~$1000
Gore-tex - free as a gift from the USGA for working the US Open.
Umbrella - gift from the USGA for working this Mid-Am.
Food - Free so far, but we have to start paying for our own dinners this week.  Fortunately DQ means more than disqualified. ;)

Not too expensive, at least for me.

Seriously, the cost of coming to Bandon for the mid-am isn't really any greater than anywhere else.  I know it cost more to go to the Homestead in 2000 and for the guys who stayed at the Cloisters it was more for Sea Island.  I'd bet that it will cost more go to Long Island for the one at Atlantic in 2010.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
Congrats to Steve for making match play!
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »
Not wanting to hijack, but JVB, any idea of the alt. medal play course in 2010?

JohnV

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »
Steve will be playing former US APL Champion Tim Hogarth this afternoon.  I've refereed matches with Tim before and he is a great guy.  I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable match for Steve.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:06:02 PM by John Vander Borght »

JohnV

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »
Not wanting to hijack, but JVB, any idea of the alt. medal play course in 2010?

The Bridge

BCrosby

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »
Whew. Good work Steve. Good luck this afternoon.

Bob

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »
I noticed a Tim Mickelson from San Diego, CA qualified for the match play.

Any relation?

JohnV

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
Tim is Phil's brother.  Interestingly I've heard he plays right-handed, but writes left-handed.

JohnV

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »
Match of the Day:

2002 champion George Zahringer vs 2003 champion Nathan Smith.

John Kirk

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »
Steve,

Just another appreciative fan in the group.  Good luck in match play!

JK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
1 up through #12. Even par.
Link:
http://www.usmidam.org/scoring/match/019.html

Play well.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:23:26 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tim Bert

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
It appears Steve just birdied the 18th to go all-square and send the match to extra holes.

What a good back and forth (and close throughout) match this has been.

Sean Leary

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »
Dammit. Lost on the 19th hole.  Hogarth is a helluva player, so great job Steve...

Jim Colton

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Yeah, nothing to be ashamed of...taking one of the medalists to the brink, birdieing the last to square the match.  Great job, Steve.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back