News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

US Am moves to Southern Hills in 2009
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:45:47 PM »
With all the recent talk about turfgrass conditions and loss of grass, the USGA has moved the 2009 US Am to Southern Hills, a year ahead of schedule. COngressional suffered a  very difficult August in the DC area. Again, Mother Nature is ALWAYS in control!
  http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3030335&campaign=rss&source=GOLFHeadlines

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jerry Kluger

Re:US Am moves to Southern Hills in 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:00:14 PM »
I don't buy the story.  From what I understand they will host Tiger's tourney through 2009 and then do what's necessary for the 2011 Open.  The course is okay for Tiger's tourney but not the US AM - I don't think so.  They held the Senior Open back in I believe 1995 right after Rees had the greens redone and they lost them - it was played on dirt.  By 1997 they had greens and they played the Open.  Story is that for 2010 and 2011 they will go to RTJ in VA.  

Fact is that they didn't or couldn't have Tiger's and the US AM at Congo in the same year - members wouldn't allow it.  Perhaps they will redo the greens - it will be interesting to see if they change the contours.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:36:30 AM »
Based on the weather conditions (100 degree temps almost every day) at the recent PGA held the 2nd weekend in August at Southern Hills, it is hard to imagine anyone choosing to go there the 3rd week in August because of the weather conditions!  

Can you imagine playing 2 matches a day and the 36-hole final in 100-degree weather? A guaranteed recipe for heat stroke, dehydration and exhaustion! And I am not just talking about the players. The officials, caddies and spectators will melt away as well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 12:37:53 AM by David_Tepper »

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »
I don't get the appeal for Southern Hills, even if the temps were in the low 70s but especially given the brutal conditions they are bound to face.  I must be missing something because watching it on TV and studying it from afar (granted a not a very good method) it comes across as missing a lot.

No doubt the course will be slow because how can any Super get the greens to championship form without a serious risk of losing them?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 06:51:23 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »
I have a question for those in the know around the Maryland/D.C. area;  What other courses exist that would be appropriate sites for such major events?

Since it opened, it seems RTJ has been given a chilly reception and Congressional is the only club given consideration for major events.  Why?

Ken

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:29:58 PM »
David,

That's a really good point. If Tiger was so exhausted after playing 6 rounds that week, how about the two finalists who will each play 11 rounds of golf in 9 days?

That could be a brutal week if there's anything like a heat wave, or even if there's not.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
Twosomes in match play is about half the effort as threesomes in medal play...and these are almost all kids about 20 years old playing 36 a day wherever they live. Tough, long days for the volunteers though...

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
WAIT

That means the Publinks is in Norman in July, and the US Am is in Tulsa in August?

That seems unprecedented.

And, even as a Sooner, of all the places to spend two weeks of the summer...?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:08:08 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
Next year the Am is at Pinehurst. Let me tell you...it's really darn hot there in August.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »
Ken: There a quite a few really good courses in DC but they don't have the reputation to hold a major event.  RTJ has a good reputation but is pretty far out of town.  If you expand the area you get to Kinloch in Richmond and Caves Valley in Baltimore, but they are like Four Streams in that they have limited clubhouse facilities.  It will be interesting to see what happens to Avenel when they are done.  

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:02:50 AM »
It looks as if Rees Jones may get some more work at Congressional. According to the Washington Post, Congressional will be redoing the greens in 2009 and the USGA wants to "tweak some bunkers, fairways and tee boxes".

They actually weren't going to host Tiger’s tournament in '09 because of the Amateur, but this opens up the possibility of Tiger's tournament staying there in ’09. Some may say this is a win-win for Congressional - they get another new set of greens, and a windfall of cash from Tiger’s event to pay for them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/19/AR2007091902139.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:29:30 AM by Cabell Ackerly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back