News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Sands Point Golf Club (Tillinghast)
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
Can anyone point me to a website or provide info regarding this course in Sand Point, Long Island?

I've heard good things about it and have an opportunity to play it in the near future.  I tried the GCA search engine and came up empty.

Thanks, Jeff

Jon Wiggett

Re:Sands Point Golf Club (Tillinghast)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »

grandwazo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
Jon, thanks, but too easy....I saw those links on Google along with about twenty others that really didn't provide any information.   :-\

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
The club does have a website. Try this link for some aerial photos, as well as some nice ground level shots: http://www.villageclub.org/fw/main/Photo_Gallery-71.html

grandwazo

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:33:45 AM »
Bill, thanks, but that is the website for the Doak course owned by the Village of Sands Point.  I believe it was originally a 9 hole course owned by IBM.  The village purchased the land and very wisely hired Mr. Doak relatively early on and the residents are very lucky to have this great amenity accessible through their home ownership.  

The Sands Point Golf Club is down the road just a bit, private, and from what I understand was at one point a Tillinghast design, altered by RTJ and then restored at some point not that long along.  

Google Earth shows them both about 1 mile apart, the Doak course gets to the water at least once but has views of what I believe is called North Hempstead Harbor.  The Tillinghast course is does not have any views of the water from what I have been told.

There is a mention on GCA of the bunker restoration work that was done, but nothing else.  

Thank you again for trying to help.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 04:54:49 AM »
Try a PM to Phillip Young.  Or check out the Tilly society page, there may be info there.  Best of luck and enjoy the course!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

grandwazo

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:43:44 AM »
Sweeney,thanks!I should have known that Deruntz would have done one of his fine pictorials of Sands Point and just searched his posts.  Looks great!
Really looking forward to getting out there this week.
BTW, I wonder if I can take credit for the first post via iPhone with this one?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back