News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

Internet Architects
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:40 AM »
Internet architects.  There are a growing number of Internet golf course architecture experts with no practical experience. I am sure this is happening in many other professions. Is there a term for this yet?

John Kavanaugh

Re:Internet Architects
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »

Is there a term for this yet?

Architectural Editor

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »
"World's #1 Player"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:41 AM »
cyberarchiperts?  ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »
"Bloggers."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:43:33 AM »
Internet architects.  There are a growing number of Internet golf course architecture experts with no practical experience. I am sure this is happening in many other professions. Is there a term for this yet?
Come on Tim this has been going on for a while.....usually they will spout about some job for a year or two and then you find out another archie has it and they go away for awhile....and either become a congressman or presidential candidate which has the same requirements as internet arhcie.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Liddy

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »
LOL

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
Tim,
Aren't there about 1,490 on this site alone?
 ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
Internet architects.  There are a growing number of Internet golf course architecture experts with no practical experience.

Would you please name a few of them?

Tim Liddy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 09:57:39 AM »
No names, just general observation from a lurker.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 10:03:04 AM »
Tim,

I think you need to cash a check to be an architect.  It's not like being a golf writer where this stuff counts no matter if you get paid or not.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »
Tim, in all seriousness, what is their overall effect?  Do they as a collective, drive architecture?  If so, do they drive it in a good way or bad?  As individuals, can they be detrimental or have a negative effect, yet as a collective (sort of like the on-going discussion in total on GCA.com) have a positive effect to heighten awareness, spread generally accepted knowledge, and influence trends?  Do they raise or lower the bar for the ones with practical experience that actually have to go out and create/design courses?

Would there have been more such architectural experts and commentators in the golden era, had their been an instant medium for exchange of ideas, rather than those pesky periodical publications and books that are so slow to be written and sent to their audience?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »
I don't think there's a whole lot new here.

People have opinions. They express them. End of story.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:30 AM »
RJ,
Of course it is a very positive development for golf course design.  Can green committees selecting an architect tell the difference? I say yes. I just think we need to find a term for it.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
I just think we need to find a term for it.

Doakwannabes.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:34:06 AM »
We all want to be that.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:49 AM »
I'm not so sure I'd want to live in a world of all cloned Doaks...  ;) ;D 8)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
We all want to be that.

Then how about "e-gadfly"?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »
I am more bothered by the status given to people who get hard cover books published in the guise of being an expert on golf architecture.  

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »

Experts with no practical experience is nothing new, in many fields. If you get well known you can be a critic or a professor. The internet has just made all the also rans and hobbyists visible. Right here that seems, overall, to be no bad thing.
On the other hand, I don't visit music forums and discuss my day job... amnd maybe my opinion would differ if I did. BTW - I won't.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
Lloyd, it seems to me that your day job and the vast number of people in the world that enjoy music and opine about music is similar to the far smaller, more select crowd that opine about GCA, who have no practical experience with it.  

Many, can't play/perform a lick of music, yet have critical thoughts of various music and performers that they put up in one form or another through cyberspace parking lots of ideas. (forums) Some of those non-musicians hold plenty of sway in the form of guiding market attention to music products.  I'll bet some musicians and performers get angry with the non-musically talented, who sway public consumption.  Yet, I'm sure there are some non-musician performers who commentate and opine that have taste, and accumulated comparative knowlege that a musician would even have to say, they appear to know their stuff.

I'm always amazed when cruising the music offerings on U-tube, how many (apparently highly talented folks, particularly young folks) are sitting in some room at the end of a bed, or a chair next to their computer, recording outstanding pieces of music to share with the cyberworld.  People we may never hear their name again.  The world is so full of talented and smart people, who could opine, perform or drive taste, in both music and something like GCA, that it may be arrogant of us to believe that there are too many cyberexperts in anything.  

How many people are out there that have the innate intelligence, and capability to be another MacKenzie, Dye, Doak, and won't/don't or aren't even motivated to try?  Yet, they may have an opinion or insight on some aspect of the GCA profession or product that is fresh, well thought out, and simply would go by the wayside if they didn't have this instant medium to express the thought?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
The world is so full of talented and smart people, who could opine, perform or drive taste, in both music and something like GCA, that it may be arrogant of us to believe that there are too many cyberexperts in anything.  

Hear, hear!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
The world is so full of talented and smart people, who could opine, perform or drive taste, in both music and something like GCA, that it may be arrogant of us to believe that there are too many cyberexperts in anything.  

Hear, hear!

Please people...We need filters for the crap as there is only a finite amount of time to enjoy what is great.  

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »

Hear, hear!

Please people...We need filters for the crap as there is only a finite amount of time to enjoy what is great.  

John,

You have inadvertantly put in a plug for Course Raters. Better retreat now!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »

Hear, hear!

If that's your goal, John, perhaps you should log off now and go enjoy it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back