News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

First hole
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
This has probably been batted around previously, but since the site's Search Engine and I don't get along at the best of times, I thought I'd ask anyway...

What do you like to see on the first hole of a course?

Par 3?
Par 4? Short? Medium-length? Long? Yardage from "your" tees?
Par 5? Reachable? Long? Yardage from "your" tees?

Elevated tee? Or, no, it doesn't really matter.

A fairly flat fairway, perhaps built that way courtesy of the archie to give one an "easier" start to the round, or a fairway with rumples, bumps, hollows, etc.?

Tight, challenging tee shot (i.e. trees/fairway bunkering), or a nice wide target to ease into the round?

A really difficult green to get you in shape for the next 17 putting experiences, or a fairly flat, subtle site that allows you to find your putting stroke?

A large green that produces more putting possibilities, or a smaller one which, in some cases, results in more chipping chances?

A green that presents a difficult target (i.e. greenside bunkers) right off the get-go or one that is fairly benign?

Water hazards on the first hole, or none at all?

JJ

Mike Nuzzo

Re:First hole
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:54:07 PM »
I hope someone can find that picture with the tanks....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
If the course has a decent practice area not far from the first tee - meaning - pretty much all players would have time to hit at least a few balls - then pace of play is my only overriding concern - the hole must not be slow to play. However, if there is not practice area, or access is to the area is not quick and easy - I'd say NO Water and NO OB. Or Tanks. And of course I know Machrihanish (never been, I wish..) and I'm sure they have no range. But that was then and, I assume, this is now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:13:04 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:47:58 PM »
Certainly nothing as formulaic as listed.

The best openers are those that gently introduce the golfer to uniqueness of the remainder.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:23:52 AM »
Mainly I just want to get away at a decent pace of play. I'd agree with Adam that a gentle suggestion of what the course holds in store is a nice way to start.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:16:30 AM »
one with close proximity to the 19th ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »
I like a par 4 that is fairly friendly off the tee.  Interesting second shot but not overly long.  Speeds play and gets the juices flowing.  No OB or water to slow things down.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
I was about to state, whatever the architect thinks works best on the property, but NO water and NO o.b.

Then I though, well that 1st hole at St. Andrews is pretty good, and it has both.

So I guess I will fall back to whatever the architect thinks works best (but please try to avoid any water or o.b. ;) ).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:23:30 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »
Best post on this years ago was by John Kavanugh speaking about Pinehurst.

It went something about a nice warm hug to let them know that this one was a little on the easier side and it was going to get more difficult quickly!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:33:37 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
I like the first hole to set me on the right track for the rest of the course.
Can I go for it all day or should I be ready to play within myself. Be bold, or be humble, can I take what comes or should I put on my thinking cap?  I want the first to send me a message!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
A par-3 is the absolute best in terms of pace as it regulates the pace. This is, providing it is nothing too odd — the 275-yard-er, etc.

However, most find this offensive. (As evidence, even Tom D. has not done one to my knowledge!)

I prefer a 380-yard par-4 or there-abouts. Reason: It easily handles three groups of varying abilities and will rarely handle more than three groups (tee, fairway and green). I have done par-5s, but rarely as they can pose problems of handling only three, or as many as five groups depending on ability and hitting distance.

I wrote extensively about opening holes in Routing the Golf Course. I recommend you buy this book. At once.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »
I like a memorable hole that doesn't get glossed over when I think about a course I've only played once or twice (or every week.)  Preferably easy enough that it doesn't sabotage my round, but difficult enough that I wish such a good hole came a little later in the routing when I was warmed up.

Some of the 1st holes that are burned in my memory:

Sand Hills
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Trails
Ballyneal
Rolling Meadows CC - this was my pick on the "if you could only play one course" thread.  It's a sentimental favorite for me and I've always enjoyed the starter.

Some that didn't get me into the round / didn't make their way into my long-term excitement memory despite really liking the course:

Banff Springs (oh, to play the original routing!)
Whistling Straits
Newport National
Wintonbury Hills

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
Anyone who has played Tobacco Road will never forget Mike Strantz's wonderful indoctrination.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 10:35:37 PM »
I prefer a 380-yard par-4 or there-abouts. Reason: It easily handles three groups of varying abilities and will rarely handle more than three groups (tee, fairway and green).

I wrote extensively about opening holes in Routing the Golf Course. I recommend you buy this book. At once.
Forrest,
I do have your book in my library. Great reading BTW.

I agree with your choice of a 380-yard par-4 hole as an opener. I wonder what others have to say.

JJ

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:32:11 PM »
I must say that everything I have read here confirms that we are the luckiest folks in the world where we have such riches before us. But seriously, can there be a better opening hole than The Old Course at St. Andrews? I have played the second with a wedge and at another time with a three wood.

Standing there, with the starter announcing your name and the Members looking out of the Great Room with their jaundiced eyes at some whippersnapper showing off with a wristy swing and the nonchalance of youth, wondering whether the ball would get airborne. The tension is palpable. There is no place quite like it.

Bob

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
JJ

I like a hole that can be played at or before first light. The player with good or even basic knowledge of the course can tee off when the fairway can barely be seen. By the time the green is reached, you can read the first putt.

It could be driver/wedge or 4iron/7iron. It should not be reachable off the tee. I like the 1st and 2nd to be fairly easy, but with some challenge at the green to make the player earn an opening birdie.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 11:57:26 PM »
I like them all....3's, 4's, 5's,....hell 2's or 6's too, if someone still had the cajones.

Just get those little doggies out of the gate.....shoo them out before you beat their butts.

y'all think too much.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

MHiserman

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
Are many people here opposed to the friendly/sometimes reachable par 5 as an opening hole?  

Some that come to mind Riviera, SFGC, Pasatiempo (original 1st hole) & Olympic (Lake).  A hole where one could birdie if one played to the better side of their ability.

Challenging opening holes often create the same score, if bogied.  
Some that come to mind are PV, Winged Foot (West), Plainfield, Stanwich, & Augusta National.

Both types of opening hole offer the same reward of played well and have a chance to better the field or match opponent.
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 08:16:47 AM »
This is the 1st, at my home course Northcliffe GC.

It's got most of the features mentioned so far on this thread:
- driveable par 4 (200 yards to the green directly over the trees & OB)
- deep ravine between the tee and the fairway (approx 100 yard carry)
- OB and water left, trees right.

Whilst the first hole can hardly be a round breaker it's amazing how the fluctuation of scores on the hole sets the tone for the rest of the round.  A birdie or a solid par gives you confidence for the rest of the round whilst going OB and running up a 6 or worse tends to lead to despair.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jim Johnson

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
Andrew,

Do you not find that this is a "slow" playing hole, right at the start of the round? If it's a driveable par-4, anyone optimistically-minded will stand on the tee and wait for the green to clear, which, I think I've read somewhere, will take approximately 12 minutes, so unless the tee-time intervals are 12 minutes or more apart, creates a backlog from the get-go.

'Course, it would help open up things after that, for a few holes anyway.

I guess it would be similar to having a long par-3 hole as the first hole.

JJ

P.S. It looks like the cart paths are in o.b. land. Interesting.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
i think andrew's is perhaps the slowest opening hole possible with there also being what looks like a limited view of the green...

...although i do see forrest's logic in regulating play with a par-3 (as long as it ties in with spacing of tee-times), a driveable par-4 creates too much uncertainty and takes too much time... a short par-5 creates the same problem...

...i guess there's not a formula for this is there?... but i like the idea of a relatively wide (or easy) medium length par-4 that isn't facing in to the sunrise and gives a flavour of what is to come whilst giving confidence to the golfer...

Phil Benedict

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:02 AM »
A par-5 that is reachable in two with good shots.  Chance to make birdie although par is a more likely result.

I love the first at Pine Needles (which used to be the 10th).  500-yard par 5 that can play a little bit longer due to terrain.  The lay up option on the second is complicated by a big bunker on the right side of the lay up area. Easy to miss the green to the right.  Wonderful starter, IMHO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back