News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

If you could only play one course...
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
... public that is.  No resorts.

What would it be and why?  Regardless of where.

Maybe this topic has come up previously, but my search isn't showing anything.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

George Pazin

Re:If you could only play one course...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »
I like Rawls, at Texas Tech. It's a really good, fun course that allows me to play my game.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony Dear

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
St Enodoc in England or Portnoo in Ireland. Neither is best course in the world by any means but when I'm at either of them (not nearly often enough) the sun is always shining and everything is okay with the world.
Tony

Pat Howard

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
I would play the now nonexistent Sham-Na-Pum golf course in Richland, WA. Purely for sentimental reasons. It was where I was first introduced to the game by my father, godfather and older brother. Playing to a par of just 66, it had lots of great short holes and was filled with quirky architectural features not found on many new courses.

:'(Sadly, it was dismantled around 1996 and a new course, Columbia Point, was built. The new course plays to a par of 72 on the same amount of land, making it a very easy pitch and putt for most players...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:20:53 PM by Pat Howard »

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
I might choose Rolling Meadows in Ellinton, CT.  I played the majority of my golf there for a three year stretch, so I know I'd be content.  The fact that I don't make it back to CT too frequently these days, but still have interest in taking another run at a good score there when I'm in town, indicates my interest as well.

The front nine provides a great chance to score.  It's wide open and pretty easy.  It wasn't uncommon for me to start my round in the 30s as a 12-15 handicap.  The back nine is narrow and scary and as tough a test as I need.  I routinely followed up my 39s on the front with 47s on the back.  If I ever shot a better back nine than front nine there, it was only once or twice.

I like the differential of the test by nines if I'm limited to one course because depending upon my mood I could go play a leisurely stress free nine on the front, a stern test on the back, or a good mix for 18.

I could go for Wild Horse too, and I think that might be an obvious choice for many on this site, but I figure others will come to its defense.  Rolling Meadows doesn't really have many supporters, and I enjoyed my time there.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
Strathpeffer Spa, in the Scottish Highlands. I played it just once, 16 years ago but that was all it took. Eccentric and set amid dazzling scenery, it made me think before every shot.

Lest you think it's just me, this is what Pat Seelig had to say about it in an American golf magazine:

“The real Scotland does exist today. It may not be on the paths trod by Americans afraid to drive on the left side of the road, but Scotland is there for the finding. All it takes is to chip beneath the thick veneer of the British Open rota conspicuously St. Andrews's Old Course, Muirfield, Royal Troon, and Turnberry and venture to the places where true Scots carry the banner of those apple-cheeked burghers who battled the whins, winds, and waves to bring golf into the world. Call it serendipity or just plain luck, but after a search of the Scottish Highlands, I found the real Scotland - not as we fantasize, but as it is today. It was there on a bright, cool, September Saturday at what may be one of the finer hidden treasures in all Scotland - Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club.

“Standing by the bar, rehashing the round and our shots, I never felt more at home. These three men, whom I had met just three-and-a-half hours earlier, were treating me as if I were their lifelong buddy. In a sense I was, because in golf we shared a lifelong passion, and that thread bound us the same way as if I had grown up at Strathpeffer Spa.”

www.strathpeffergolf.co.uk

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »
Does semi private count? If so, Pasatiempo is a slam dunk for me. The interest of the course is outstanding and somehow Mack makes the course play longer than the stated yardage. You could spend a lifetime on those greens and not get bored.

If we are talking a strictly public, Rustic Canyon is the one for me. I can't really add any descriptions that haven't been made before.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jfaspen

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
Cape Kidnappers.  The pictures and reports of the course just blow me away.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »
... public that is.  No resorts.

What would it be and why?  Regardless of where.

Maybe this topic has come up previously, but my search isn't showing anything.

Ill take the Old Course

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
David,

Ya, given what I've experienced I was also going to say Pasatiempo, but realized it was semi-private.

Rustic is a great backup.

George makes a nice selection with Rawls.

I feel rather fortunate having experienced all three.  

Jeff,

I love your story.  Probably makes us all want to jump on a plane right now and head over.  That's what the game is all about.

Does semi private count? If so, Pasatiempo is a slam dunk for me. The interest of the course is outstanding and somehow Mack makes the course play longer than the stated yardage. You could spend a lifetime on those greens and not get bored.

If we are talking a strictly public, Rustic Canyon is the one for me. I can't really add any descriptions that haven't been made before.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 08:58:19 PM »
St. Andrews Old Course.

In the US my pick would be Bethpage Black.  My #2 US pick would be Pacific Grove.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 01:56:26 AM »
Strathpeffer Spa, in the Scottish Highlands. I played it just once, 16 years ago but that was all it took. Eccentric and set amid dazzling scenery, it made me think before every shot.

Lest you think it's just me, this is what Pat Seelig had to say about it in an American golf magazine:

“The real Scotland does exist today. It may not be on the paths trod by Americans afraid to drive on the left side of the road, but Scotland is there for the finding. All it takes is to chip beneath the thick veneer of the British Open rota conspicuously St. Andrews's Old Course, Muirfield, Royal Troon, and Turnberry and venture to the places where true Scots carry the banner of those apple-cheeked burghers who battled the whins, winds, and waves to bring golf into the world. Call it serendipity or just plain luck, but after a search of the Scottish Highlands, I found the real Scotland - not as we fantasize, but as it is today. It was there on a bright, cool, September Saturday at what may be one of the finer hidden treasures in all Scotland - Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club.

“Standing by the bar, rehashing the round and our shots, I never felt more at home. These three men, whom I had met just three-and-a-half hours earlier, were treating me as if I were their lifelong buddy. In a sense I was, because in golf we shared a lifelong passion, and that thread bound us the same way as if I had grown up at Strathpeffer Spa.”

www.strathpeffergolf.co.uk

Pat

Thanks for reminding me of Strathpeffer GC and for Seelig's thoughts, which are well expressed.  However......

......to me, Strathpeffer falls much more in the "hidden gem" category than the "if you could only play one course" one.  You played there 16 years ago and never came back.  I had a surreally good experience there 21 years ago, but have never gone back--despite being within 20 miles of the course at least 100 times in the interim.  These data tell me that the course falls into yet another category, which for want of time to think of something more elegant, I will call "Courses you have only played once, exist in the warm-glow area of your long-term memory, but which you will probably never make the effort to play again."

I know a lot of these courses, from places which would make Strathpeffer look like Augusta to places most people on this site would rank significantly higher than Augusta.  In fact, one of the few courses that I occasionally consciously think I might want to add to this list is Augusta!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, Patrick.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »
Carne - A great remote course where you will not be bothered by a mass of American vistors looking to bag another famous course for years to come, its too far from anything.  

You are called to use every shot in you bag.  Since I played there in July I can't stop thinking about all the holes especially #11 & 12 two great mid-length blind holes that make you work the ball both ways.  Hackett also did a great job using up some of the duller meadow type land with two of the par fives.  

It is laid out on some dramatic ground yet it is very playable.  The walk on the back nine is not the easiest with some good sized climbs to the next tee.  I don't know if it was from hard work, a good plan or just luck but we lost the fewest balls on this course.  The rough was such that you could find it and get it back in play.

The clubhouse is first class in a modest way and well suited for a golf club.  The staff treated us first class.

I want to go back soon and spend 1/2 a week there.  Since my family came here only three generations ago Bellmullet seems like a good alternative to Maine for me if I ever buy that second home.

BTW lifetime memberships are now availble for overseas members for 5000 euro.

Does anyone have pictures of Carne.  I was too into my own game the two rounds I played there to take pictures.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:16:38 AM by Mike_Trenham »
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
I'd have to get my oceanside and beach kicks from boating or jetskiing or something, but I think this discussion begins and ends with Bethpage Black.  There is no better true public course.  

I haven't been to Chambers Bay.

Not up there as a course, but as a true public experience Troon Darley is fantastic. No need to get in a ballot, or queue at 4am to get on it either. I have a great fondness for it - We had many a band match there.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 12:21:19 PM »
North Berwick because it is short and fun or The Old Course to learn how good everyone keeps telling it is.. ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jeff_Perryman

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »
Tough Call.....  

Nominees: Taconic, Crumpin-Fox, Bethpage Black

And the winner is:  Atlantic CC in Plymouth MA
It's where I play 90% of my golf anyway, I'd just be missing the other 10%.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 09:04:47 PM »
Carne is a public course

http://www.carnegolflinks.com/history.html

Pictures can be found at

http://www.carnegolflinks.com/gallery.html

These pictures while first rate do not give justice to the shot values and combination of fun and challenge.

I thought of Bethpage Black but Carne is better easier to get on and less expensive.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:11:16 PM »
In Scotland, based on my one trip there, for my game (medicore at best) -- Fraserburgh (Corbie Hill).

Tough little course, long enough to be something other than sporty, great links terrain, small and challenging greens, good variety of holes, not overrun by tourists. A course not trying to be anything other than what it is -- a solid links in an interesting corner of Scotland.

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 11:05:18 PM »
  My #2 US pick would be Pacific Grove.

Bill, I was going to nominate PG as well. I've got some fond memories of the course.  
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:02 PM »
Funny how different folks like different things (which is a good thing).  The two courses that I have played based on feedback from solely on this website that I personally were the most overrated and disappointing were Carne and Pacific Grove. Give me the front 9 at Carne and the back at PG and we will call it good.......

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »
Cruden Bay . . . . . or Lahinch.

Prestwick is private.

PG muni or Rustic are easy and obvious answers in the U.S., but I've got to throw Barona in the mix although being an Indian Reservation course like Apache Stronghold . . . . is it public in the true sense of the word? Or resort?

My decision is one that may make some want to throw eggs at me, but there is a special place in my heart of hearts for Stevinson Ranch outside of Turlock, so that is my selection and I am sticking to it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:06:17 AM by Gib Papazian »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 03:20:50 AM »
This has been brought up before and my answer remains the same... The Tustin Ranch, playing with Tommy Naccarato.

Joe Perches

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »
Tustin Ranch, playing with Tommy Naccarato.

In other words, you'd give up golf?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
Every great course you guys named, would become a hell hole if you had to play it every day, over and over, without the company of gentlemen and gentle women golfers.  Sure, you could go out everyday and bat the ball around your dream field of play, but if you had no one to play with, or were stuck in an odd environment that went against your personality grain... well you'd either need to be a socio-path or a very mean, solitary, and pitiable person...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »
Every great course you guys named, would become a hell hole if you had to play it every day, over and over, without the company of gentlemen and gentle women golfers.  Sure, you could go out everyday and bat the ball around your dream field of play, but if you had no one to play with, or were stuck in an odd environment that went against your personality grain... well you'd either need to be a socio-path or a very mean, solitary, and pitiable person...

I personally have to disagree with your statement.

During my life I have had a couple of courses that I almost exclusively played over a 12 to 18 month span.  And both courses never grew tired to me.  One was Algonquin G.C. in St. Louis.  This is a Foulis design with some updates by Silva.

The other course was A.L.Gustin, in Columbia, Mo. and owned by the University of Missouri.  For one year I worked at a private club in town, The Country Club of Missouri.  At that time C.C. of Missouri was the home course for the men's golf team.  I played that course less then 10 times during that year, including a summer without any classes.  However, I did play A.L Gustin almost every other day.

This course is open to the general public without any restrictions and still very inexpensive even for those not associated with the university.  I never grew tired of playing this course.  I had a few regulars that I often played with, but we also played quite often with walk-ons.

I agree that there are some advantages to playing regularly with fellow members.  But if the circumstances are right, I think playing regularly at a public or muni can also be very enjoyable.

I would also agree that if one was forced to only play Bethpage Black, and if each round was close to 6 hours, that could result in forcing me to quit the game.  But I answered this question in the hypothetical, only considering the course.

If I were forced to choose a course, taking into consideration the course, the conditions, the price, and the pace of play among other things, I likely would then not choose Bethpage Black, or The Old Course.  Although, I may then choose The New Course at St. Andrews.  And for the US, I may just choose my old haunting grounds in Columbia, MO - A.L. Gustin.

This way I also get my Missouri Tiger's football, basketball, and baseball, and my favorite pizza in town - Shakespeare’s.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:56:39 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back