News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Is Bandon Trails Really That Good
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »
Jeff,

Not so sure what options your wife will have for entertainment in the town of Bandon. We stayed in a hotel for the exact same reason, but other than some diners, a few shops, and fishing boats there wasn't much to see. Maybe somethings change in the last 5 years. Nice quaint little town, but the spillover from the resort hasn't turned it into Pinehurst or Carmel.

Ditto on that.  There is nothing going on in Bandon, and if I had to guess, they probably aren't a big fan of the resort as the business they get is related to hwy 1 traffic as opposed to golfers.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Jeff,

but other than some diners, a few shops, and fishing boats there wasn't much to see.

Not much to see...

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ira Fishman

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
Sven, what is the name of that restaurant you recommended?  On second floor of one of places on the harbor.  Small dining room, and the food and service were excellent.

Ira

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
Sven, what is the name of that restaurant you recommended?  On second floor of one of places on the harbor.  Small dining room, and the food and service were excellent.

Ira

Ira:

The Loft, the chef of which unfortunately has closed the restaurant except for some special events and has moved into the gourmet butter business.  You were lucky to catch it while it was still open.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

jeffwarne

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Jeff,

but other than some diners, a few shops, and fishing boats there wasn't much to see.

Not much to see...

That's kind've where I was leaning and the view from the house I looked to rent was similar..... and LESS expensive than a double room at Bandon......
I'm a golf nut (most trips), but eating with 200 guys in swagged up sweater vests isn't my priority this particular trip
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rich Goodale

« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Jeff

"Downtown" Bandon is a classic Gertrude Stein's "There's no there, there," but it is a helluvalot better experience than spending any time (particularly dinner) at the resort than mingling with 200+/- sweaty sweater testoseronic wannabees.  I'm sure your wife can find a decent place for bed and dinner and afters while you and Sam play.

Rich

PS--getting to the headline of this thread, if I were you I'd play Trails first, as it is sublime, and all the others are excellent but Scottish/Irish wannabe's.  As they say in the UK, "compare and contrast."

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »
Sven,

The entire pacific coast line has over a thousand miles of epic stuff like this, no reason to drive to Bandon to see it.....  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
Sven,

The entire pacific coast line has over a thousand miles of epic stuff like this, no reason to drive to Bandon to see it.....  ;)

Actually, northern California coast is quite boring in comparison. Since you mention highway 1 in another post, I assume you have seen the California coast as 1 is a California highway. The coast actually gets more interesting after highway 1 runs out well before the border.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »

... I'd play Trails first, as it is sublime, and all the others are excellent but Scottish/Irish wannabe's.  As they say in the UK, "compare and contrast."

Who knew TD has been creating Scottish/Irish "wannabe's" (sic) all this time. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
Jeff

"Downtown" Bandon is a classic Gertrude Stein's "There's no there, there," but it is a helluvalot better experience than spending any time (particularly dinner) at the resort than mingling with 200+/- sweaty sweater testoseronic wannabees.  I'm sure your wife can find a decent place for bed and dinner and afters while you and Sam play.

My thoughts exactly Rich.

Funny you should mention Sam-I think since he played with you in summer 2016 he's played  exactly three times.
At Shinny as a last second fill in in an Interclub, at Sebonack with a client when my back went out, and on an unprompted trip by himself to play Goat Hill.

Nice work if you can get it-he's pretty pumped about Bandon having not had a second of free time in the last 18 months.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
The best thing in Bandon besides the course is http://www.westcoastgameparksafari.com
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

jeffwarne

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:11 PM »
The best thing in Bandon besides the course is http://www.westcoastgameparksafari.com

Unfortunately weekends only in February.....
otherwise I'dve been free for 36 one day... ;D

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »

Maybe for 7 year olds.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »

Ira

Liked the Alloro Wine Bar & Restaurant in Bandon and Redfish down the road in Port Orford.  Redfish sits right above the beach with a glass wall with a great view.  When staying offsite, we have liked the Bandon Inn.

Jack Carney

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
David W - Good post! Tom never did respond. Either means you had a good idea or lost interest after the the not rating response. I guess

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back