News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

KBanks

Irish Weather
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »
Would a trip to SW Ireland in late February be sheer lunacy, from the standpoint of weather and playing conditions?

In terms of rates and lack of crowds, it might be ideal.

Ken

Tom Huckaby

Re:Irish Weather
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Lunacy?  Yes if you can only play the game in fair weather.  NO if you love links golf and have a certain tolerance.

Locals can give more detailed answers... but I'd say it can be done.  Just expect the worst and enjoy everything that's not.

TH

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »
I was in Ireland the first week of March this year and played golf in a goretex jacket with a sweater underneath. At a temporary moment of warmth I took off the Goretex jacket. The weather is really hit or miss at that time. High about 10-12 celsius.

If it's a decent day (no rain) there will be local players on the course.

At that time of year, you will run into some temporary tee boxes and greens and closed fairways.

KBanks

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses. That's helpful.

You expect any sort of weather at any time in Ireland. However, temporary conditions hold little appeal.

Tom, would you do the winter Bandon trip again?

Ken

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:39:49 AM »
This summer has been the worst in living memory, my living memory anyway. Actually, I believe it is the wettest summer on record.

Anyway, you could have great weather in Feb, or you could have terrible. In general, our winters are getting milder.
John Marr(inan)

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:28 AM »
Jack:
What about late September/Early October?

Thanks

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »
Jack:

Thanks

you've a much better chance of decent weather in october... generally warmer and ireland quite often gets a bit of an indian summer... even on the good days in february, it will feel a bit wintery and personally i wouldn't take the risk unless there wasn't an alternative date available...

all that said, it is so variable it is almost impossible to tell as jack mentioned above...

michael_j_fay

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:06:28 AM »
When I was in Ireland in 2002 in March for 11 days it only rained twice.....once for three days and again for eight days....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
Thanks for the responses. That's helpful.

You expect any sort of weather at any time in Ireland. However, temporary conditions hold little appeal.

Tom, would you do the winter Bandon trip again?

Ken

Yes.  I feel very confident we saw the worst weather one can there outside of outright snow.  It's also so damn expensive in summer now I can't afford it, and I know I will have a jones to play there again.

TH

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
I have been in Ireland in most seasons.  I would go to Dublin and south east in Feb. The temps are more moderate and they don't get the rain that SW gets.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »
I have been in Ireland in most seasons.  I would go to Dublin and south east in Feb. The temps are more moderate and they don't get the rain that SW gets.

this is a very valid point... should you not be 100% committed to the south-west

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
Jack:

Thanks

you've a much better chance of decent weather in october... generally warmer and ireland quite often gets a bit of an indian summer... even on the good days in february, it will feel a bit wintery and personally i wouldn't take the risk unless there wasn't an alternative date available...

all that said, it is so variable it is almost impossible to tell as jack mentioned above...

Yes, as Ally says, you can get very nice weather in late September. In fact, it's that time of year, and in spring, that I prefer to play golf. But I can chose my days, while you will be restricted because of a short stay.

It hasn't rained mcuh in the last few weeks, but it hasn't been glorous either.

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:41:46 PM by Jack_Marr »
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back