News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Casey Wade

Runway tee boxes-why not anymore?
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
When reading Mike Cirba's topic about tees at ground level, this got me thinking about how tee boxes look and are constructed.

I've read that based on X amount of play you should have Y square footage of tee box.

My question is when did the long tee box stop being built and why?  Cost to build?  Maintenance cost?

The only examples I can think of right now are at Point O' Woods in Benton Harbor, Michigan, where the Western Amateur was just played.  The tees on #11 and #12.

IMHO I like the look of one long, continuous tee, rather than the dottings of circular or square tees.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Jason Topp

Re:Runway tee boxes-why not anymore?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »
Casey:

I was successful in using the search function!  Here is an old thread that was pretty good on this subject.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=23602;start=msg488722#msg488722

Casey Wade

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
Thanks! I did a search and didn't find anything.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
The obvious new prototype of runaway tees will be Chambers Bay, and to a lesser extent, BallyNeal.  I loved them.  

There is some hubbub about the lack of laser leveling.  I think that is a non-starter.  I think the possiblity of not pegging your ball in the best, most level lie and alignment to the FW, and don't hit the right shot to compensate, whether you didn't find one, or couldn't descern one adds to the fun and strategy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:46:30 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »
At The Wigwam in Phoenix we managed to break up a few of RTJ's massive tees. The owner did not want any unauthorized aircraft landings at the course.   ;D
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back