News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re:WA GCA'ers (TIMES HAVE BEEN MADE!!)
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:39 AM »
I am sorry I will miss this outing. But I have plans for Saturday night and I am guessing starting out after 2PM, you guys will do well to play the round in 5 hours.

I will be very interested in the next outing. Perhaps Olympic or Washington National would be in order.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
These will be the foursomes...

2:42
Sean Reehoorn
Garland Bayley
Pete Pittock
2:51
Jordan Wall
Sean Leary
Bob Jenkins

Obviously we only have seven spots so if somebody wants to bring someone...make sure to let me know though so we dont get too many people..

If any questions let me know.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:23:05 AM by Jordan Wall »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
Jordan, Unfortunately injury is going to keep me from playing.  Have a great time evryone!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:44:14 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Sean Leary

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
Fun time had by all yesterday.  Must be something about Pierce County, as it took 5 hours, and 18 was in the dark.  Or maybe it was just the 85 shots Jordan took..... :'(

Decent course, very cool greens. Does anyone know of any other courses that Mike Asmundson has designed?

Richard Choi

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »
I can understand 5 hour rounds at Chambers as the walking only policy, elevation changes, difficulty of the course, view, and high greens fee add up to slow rounds.

But I just don't get why a course that is wide open, fairly flat, and not overly difficult plays so slow.

I don't think I will ever play that course again unless I can have a really early tee time. You can usually get a faster round at nearby Hawk's Prairie courses.

igrowgrass

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2007, 07:44:55 PM »
The 5th green at 'The Home Course' is very unique.  Two bunkers back and one to the right with the green feeding into the bunkers severly.  A missed approach shot would leave you with a very difficult approach shot.  I've seen greens that fall off into a bunker, but I do not think I have ever seen one to this degree.  For those of you who have played it, do you know of any greens that would compare to this one?

Bob Jenkins : If possible could you post the picture of that green.  Thanks.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
Fun time had by all yesterday.  Must be something about Pierce County, as it took 5 hours, and 18 was in the dark.  Or maybe it was just the 85 shots Jordan took..... :'(

Decent course, very cool greens. Does anyone know of any other courses that Mike Asmundson has designed?

That's 85 not counting the mulligan's, which he claims is a valid synonym for provisional.
 ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »

That's 85 not counting the mulligan's, which he claims is a valid synonym for provisional.
 ::)

Garland,

No mullies, you know that.
The provisional on 10 was because I really thought my first was out...it was in by a foot, as you saw.

And a 46 on the front, with an 8 and two 6's...legit (unfortunately)

...my excuse for poor play (besides not having played in three weeks) is my clothes were uncomfortable!
 :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:18:59 PM by Jordan Wall »

igrowgrass

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »

...my excuse for poor play (besides not having played in three weeks) is my clothes were uncomfortable!

Don't forget the shoes!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »

Yes, they were unconfortable to look at, but we aren't using that for an excuse.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2007, 09:31:03 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen the fifth at the Home Course.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:35:46 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »

Gents,

I too had a great time and appreciate the company. One of the best things about this website is being able to meet people in nearby cities who have a common interest and find new places to play.

Assuming I figure out how to post the photos, I will get it done tomorrow. Sean Reehoorn, please feel free to email me and I will get it right. bjenkins@jml.ca

As someone said, I can see a longer round at nearby Chambers Bay but the Home Course (as Sean Leary said, "who came up with this name?") is an easy walk, let alone a ride, difficult to lose a ball in long rough, etc. No excuse for the round being 5 hours or more, which it was, especially with Jordan's wardrobe changes.

I will file a photo report asap.

Bob J

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »

The Coeur d'Alene Resort (incl. the floating green)
a few courses in Chile (Esmeralda Oasis, Hacienda Chicuero, Cachagua, La Bisas de Chacureo)
Headwaters Golf Club in Granby, CO
consulted on the Mackenzie Course at Haggin Oaks in Sacramento
new Practice area at Astoria CC in Oregon.
Discovery Bay back 9(formerly Chevy Chase Golf Course - Port Townsend, WA).
Inglewood, Kenmore, WA (restoration)
and others
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:08:50 PM by Garland Bayley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »

THe Couer d' Alene Resorts website claims differently:

Designer Scott Miller's vision was to create a golf course that offered a stimulating round of golf, surrounded by a park-like environment.

http://www.cdaresort.com/golf/

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »

THe Couer d' Alene Resorts website claims differently:

Designer Scott Miller's vision was to create a golf course that offered a stimulating round of golf, surrounded by a park-like environment.

http://www.cdaresort.com/golf/

Mike was the associate in the firm responsible for the design. Perhaps I should have made that clear. Yes, it was Miller's firm that did the course.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:37 AM »

5th green from right of the right bunker. Hagrid found there is a similar slope to the left bunker.

Sean R,
I met your brother on Monday while I was officiating at OSU tournie. I introduced myself as a family friend of two days standing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:23:53 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »

Sean,

I played Headwaters last weekend and while not a bad course, it certainly did not have any greens with this much character..

Garland Bayley

Bob Jenkins' Photos
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
Bob took the following photos at the event.

Jordan, 4 tee?

Garland, 5 tee

Jordan and Sean Reehoorn, 5 tee?

Jordan and Sean, 5 green

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:04:14 PM by Garland Bayley »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »
i can only imagine the can of worms these photos are going to open ;D ;D ;D

Jordan,
best of luck my friend ;)
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jordan Wall

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 05:53:46 PM »
Jason,

I'm not worried about it.

I drove an hour North that morning, leaving at 7:00, for my ACT test, then another two hours South to Tacoma, and then the hour back to my house in which I didn't get home until almost 11:30.  

I had no time to change.  But I had a lot fun, as to be expected with those guys.  Dont think I've ever had a bad time with GCA'ers.  

Who's up for another one of these next year?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »
Jason,

Just like photos fail to reveal the severity of features of a golf course, they likewise fail to reveal how severely bad those jeans and shoes were.

Garland Bayley

More Pictures from Bob Jenkins
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
5th green showing collection area bunkers at the rear.

Close up of slope into bunker. I thought I had given myself a good chance for birdie, only to find my ball had leaked into the bunker.

Par 3 6th

Par 4 7th approach.

Par 5 8th green. Front of green is to the left. Sean Leary ran his short pitch from the right around the hump to right next to the hole. My short pitch from in front (on the left in the picture) had no chance of staying by the hole and went all the way to the back.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:55:02 AM by Garland Bayley »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »

Thank you Garland.

I think all of us who toured the Home Course last September agree that the greens were most interesting, that there were many (I recall seven) blind tee shots, that play was VERY slow and that overall, it was a very good $50 golf course. Not great but good and with time, could be better.

The Home Course does not come anywhere near Chambers Bay (which is a few miles away). Like many others, I think we need to see the course more than once.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »
As a side not I wasn't as fond of The Home Course as others.  While I liked the front nine, I thought that the back nine, for the most part, was mediocre at best.  The walk from 10 to 11 was beyond ridiculous.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2007, 02:21:18 AM »
YES!!! You listen to Kyle like a champ. I'm thinking of wearing jeans from now on to see if I get called out on it by a club. It can look pretty convincing and classy IF YOU ACTUALLY TUCK IN YOUR SHIRT!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back