News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Return to Black Mesa !
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
It's often hard to really understand any golf course in just one visit. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity for repeat visits to Black Mesa -- the Baxter Spann designed gem that sits just 20 miles outside of Santa Fe, NM.

The course opened five years ago and I was there nearly from the very beginning. I have been in the Santa Fe area for the last few days and my time at Black Mesa has indeed time well spent.

The opportunity to meet and discuss the course with superintendent Pat Brockwell is something all avid golfers need to do if the circumstances permit. Pat is the consumate self-effacing guy who is justifiably proud of what Black Mesa is today -- and I might add provides the kind of turf quality that allows for the firm conditions that only bring to bear even more so the design merits of the course.

I have had the opportunity to play across the globe in a range of different settings and course styles. Black Mesa is one of my personal favories and would easily make the top 50 courses I have ever played.

Black Mesa uses the land is such a first rate manner. The holes sweep through the canyons and the verdant green grass stands in clear contrast to the high desert environement.

One of the strong characteristics of Black Mesa is how it marries the need for sufficient distance and appropriate control.

One can go for the big hit at BM but you need to always recognize that distance without proper placement is often a losing propostion here.

Black Mesa possesses a solid series of short par-4's with the likes of the 1st, 7th and 14th holes -- each has a myriad of different ways to play them and succeed or fail if the execution is insufficient. The quartet of par-5's is equally strong -- none suffers fools and they only give up birdies when a series of well-played shots is produced. Black Mesa is like an honest judge -- no bribes or cheap shortcuts are permitted.

The quartet of par-3's is also very strong -- the par-3 8th is a strong long hole and the uphill par-3 11th into the box canyon is a classic one.

More than anything else -- when the wind freshens as it often does -- the challenge to shotmaking becomes even more intense. Black Mesa, for me at least, belongs in that rare air with such titans as Ballyneal and Sand Hills. It is a giant because it exposes itself with each passing play.

I love the place because the vision demonstrated there shows what is indeed possible when a skillful routing is blessed to use such glorious terrain.

One final thing -- there is nothing like standing near the clubhouse and seeing the distant mountains -- both to the west with Los Alamos and looking back to the east where Santa Fe is located.

Black Mesa may never achieve the lofty standing among the inner sanctum of great courses -- but for me it is a place that I relish with each shot played and as my visit concludes this time around I long for the next encounter with this magnificent test of golf.

Adam Clayman

Re:Return to Black Mesa !
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »
Black Mesa passes the tee it up again test, every single time.

One of the best values in the country. Hear, Here!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:38:32 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:42:08 PM »
Black Mesa passes the tee it up again test, every single time.

One of the best values in the country. Hear, Here!

Agreed on both counts as well as Matt's sentiments.

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
I played Black Mesa for the first time last week, 2 rounds in a day (for some reason they changed some of the pin positions during the day so that was a nice surprise for round 2).

I too thought it was a tremendous golf course, and as far as moderns go, I found myself as enthusiastic about this course after a first play as I did after playing courses like Pacific Dunes, Friar's Head, Bandon Trails, Erin Hills and Victoria National for the first time. In my opinion, Sand Hills is on a completely different level but that doesn't detract from Black Mesa at all. There probably isn't a more thrilling/unique golf course any closer to me here in Austin, TX (unless Prairie Dunes is closer...might have to check Mapquest for that).

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:12:23 PM »
I have to say this loud and clear -- Black Mesa is not some sort of lesser course when compared to the big time ones that get so much fanfare here. Unfortunately, there is a clear "herd mentality" here on GCA that relates itself to particular courses and to certain designers.

I'm not here to downplay these courses -- especially the ones of vintage quality -- however, Black Mesa is no second fiddle or one to only be identified as being the "best in New Mexico" or "the best for affordability", etc, etc.

The overall merits of the course speak loud and clear. Sadly, the boundaries people place on courses are self-imposed and often times related to perpetuating the same "group think" on the preferred courses over and over again.

Like I said, this in nothing more than my opinion, but I have played around the globe at many courses and Black Mesa easily makes my top 50 courses.

The need to work the ball off the tee and secure the appropriate playing positions is an absolute must. You also have a layout that rewards in equal measure power and accuracy. One cannot succeed consistently without both at work.

In addition, the green contours Baxter Spann has provided require plenty of thought throughout the round. One cannot fire approaches without being clear on where to land the ball.

Give one quick example -- the par-4 2nd. Played the hole w Pat B and the pin was cut in the extreme back of the green. Just a superb pin placement -- you cannot go short or face a very tough uphill putt or heaven forbid -- go long and face the real risk in going off the back and having zero chance for recovery. It's this type of thing that Black Mesa does over and over again.

When people discuss the level of certain courses -- I'm more than eager and willing to place Black Mesa against any number of the inner sanctum of new courses that have come forward in the USA in the last 15-20 years.

Like I said in my intro -- when you stand on the grounds at the clubhouse and look out in all directions there are very, very few sites that I can even place in a relatively equal position to what Black Mesa provides for the eye to gather in and appreciate.

For those who have not been -- hasten your golf design appreciation and go to Santa Fe. It is certainly the REAL deal and that much more.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:07:21 PM »
I played Black Mesa for the first time last week, 2 rounds in a day (for some reason they changed some of the pin positions during the day so that was a nice surprise for round 2).

I too thought it was a tremendous golf course, and as far as moderns go, I found myself as enthusiastic about this course after a first play as I did after playing courses like Pacific Dunes, Friar's Head, Bandon Trails, Erin Hills and Victoria National for the first time. In my opinion, Sand Hills is on a completely different level but that doesn't detract from Black Mesa at all. There probably isn't a more thrilling/unique golf course any closer to me here in Austin, TX (unless Prairie Dunes is closer...might have to check Mapquest for that).

I also think Black Mesa has more "fun" GCA.com type shots than any of the others you've mentioned that I have played - more chances to pitch it away from the hole to get close, even off the green in two cases - out of the back bunker off the left bank on #14 and beyond the back left pin on #7.  I saw Adam Clayman play the latter shot to tap in range one round there!  

Very few modern courses are designed with slopes that create those opportunities.  Tobacco Road is another.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:08:21 PM by Bill_McBride »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
Bill McBride:

Just a quick question -- are you saying Tobacco Road and Black Mesa would be equals in your eyes as golf designs ?

I see the NC layout as more of a quirk design -- BM is much more richer in overall character and the surer overall test.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »
Matt,
I know you're a fan of Lakota Canyon too. Sounds like you like Black Mesa better of the two, is that correct, and if so what's the deal breaker between the two for you?

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:26:17 AM »
I'll be there this weekend.

With a nod to the hype thread, I expect Black Mesa to pummel the snot out of Lakota.

It is easily the most anticipated course of the trip for me.

Andy, I would love your thoughts on a deal breaker as well.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »
It's always kind of funny to see Matt slamming the herd mentality when so many on the site love Black Mesa.

Nice course. I'd choose Rawls any day of the week over it, but Rawls suits my wild game a lot better.

Matt, how do you determine when a course warrants a return visit, particularly multiple return visits?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
Now George, You should know the first rule of analysis is to separate your game from the equation.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
George,

Couldn't agree more.  MW has no idea what other people take into account in their decision making processes.  Anybody that disagrees with him, for whatever reason follows a heard mentality, worships one or two sacred designers or some other slam, which invariably elevates his experience and ability to decide what we should think.  

Matt doesn't mind the herd mentality as long as the herd follows his one and only way of thinking.  If all this is MW's opinion, as he states, he ought to give everyone else the benefit of having their own.

Hey, Matt.  Is this loud and clear enough for you?  

For the inevitable retort:

No, I have not seen this course.
I do not just sit at the computer or on my couch and throw barbs from afar.  Seeing this course has no bearing on the inappropriate way you force feed us your ideas.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:23:40 PM by Wayne Morrison »

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 12:53:30 PM »
Now George, You should know the first rule of analysis is to separate your game from the equation.

You are correct, sir! If I were rating the courses, I would, I'm simply expressing my preference, along with a likely explanation.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
Andy:

The site at Lakota is more severe than Black Mesa and as a result you get a number of holes at the Colorado-based layout that are compromised to some degree by the land elements. For example -- Engh maxes out the elevated tee shot situation plenty of times at Lakota and it gets somewhat predictable.

I also think the turning point at the 1st is a bit too severe with little landing area for the tee shot. The 9th is also a decent hole but far from the qualities of the 3rd hole. The back nine starts with a weak hole at the 10th and I'm not enamored with the holes from #12 thru 14th holes.

Black Mesa has the better combination of holes, the more thrilling routing because it constantly changes pace and requirements and the more exacting course for pure placement off the tee. Lakota Canyon is indeed a fun place and one any person going thru the I-70 area needs to play. I just see Black Mesa as being more challenging from start to finish.

Andy, if I played ten rounds of golf -- I'd split them with BM getting 8 to LCR getting 2.

George P:

The herd mentality relates to certain courses on GCA that get lofty -- almost reverential treatment. Ditto on the architectural front.

Place Black Mesa with a different name designer -- no disrespect to what Baxter Spann created there -- and the place would be thought of even higher.

In regards to your last question -- I base my return visits on whether a course provides the following:

1). How good is the existing land site?
2). How complex / complete the routing is?
3). How varied and challenging are the shot values?

Wayne Morrison:

Thank you for such predictable comments.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
Matt,

I liked the 9th at LC.  Yes the green on 3 is wicked cool but I thought the 9th sat in a better site...

The 3rd for a reference point:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:25:19 PM by Kalen Braley »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Kalen:

The 9th allows for a generous "kick-in" should a player miss to the left. I don't see that as a strength -- you might though.

The 3rd is a tough hole to get close and you need to be utterly precise with distance control to get the desired result. Try playing the hole when the pin is cut right just above the first ridge area. Very demanding indeed.

One other thing -- I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Lakota Canyon Ranch -- which is a really fun layout to play.

When you stack up the par-3's at BM you see total differences in terms of what it's needed -- in terms of yardage and shot control.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »
I'm with Kalen on the merits of the ninth. If one looks closely you will see more benching on the third, than on the 9th.
The severity of slope towards the repairian on #9 combined with a firm canvas (should be expected in those environs) and you hve a much more indimidating thought provoking one shotter, IMO.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:18:23 PM by Adam Clayman »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »
Bill McBride:

Just a quick question -- are you saying Tobacco Road and Black Mesa would be equals in your eyes as golf designs ?

I see the NC layout as more of a quirk design -- BM is much more richer in overall character and the surer overall test.

Not at all.  As I tried to explain, feebly I admit, there are fun shots at both courses, shots where you can use slopes to move the ball around and play at right angles to the target.  Where did I say I regarded the two courses equally?

For the record, it's Black Mesa 7-3 for me.  Love those wide open spaces in the West!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
Kalen:

The 9th allows for a generous "kick-in" should a player miss to the left. I don't see that as a strength -- you might though.

The 3rd is a tough hole to get close and you need to be utterly precise with distance control to get the desired result. Try playing the hole when the pin is cut right just above the first ridge area. Very demanding indeed.

One other thing -- I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Lakota Canyon Ranch -- which is a really fun layout to play.

When you stack up the par-3's at BM you see total differences in terms of what it's needed -- in terms of yardage and shot control.

Matt I agree #9 is tolerant of misses left, but extremely untolerant of misses short or right.

In addition to the playing characteristics though, I take into accout the aesthics and otherwise.  It has a view as well as butts up to an, as of now, untouched wilderness area.

3 on the otherhand is tolerant of misses pretty much everywhere except for short left, and thats it.  And the pond that sits in front of the green didn't exactly "fit" in either.

But they are both decent holes that are a lot of fun to play, which is what Enghs style is all about.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:20:24 PM by Kalen Braley »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »
Matt,
I've gone back and forth since my trip to Lakota as to which course I liked better, but I'm confident that I've settled on Black Mesa as well for good, although more in the 6-4 range. Sorry for the sidetrack.

As far as the deal breaker? I would say the design variety of holes at Black Mesa is better than Lakota. Lakota tends to repeat the bowl green (and sometimes fairway) trend while Black Mesa has a great set of unique holes that tend to work very well together. Basically a different way of saying what you said about the routing.

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
I know I give BM a hard time quite often, mostly in relation to its playability for high handicappers, but it does have two things I value highly: great greens and not much (if any) containment, as opposed to a lot of courses with severe-ish terrain.

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »
Kalen:

you may not want to turn this into a LC thread, but that wont stop us from commenting on things you got wrong.  One can get the same kind of lucky bounces on #3 to get it close that one can get on #9.  witness the amphitheatre mounds which surround #3.

edit: oh, i now see that Kalen already corrected what you had said.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:13:11 PM by astavrides »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
Bill McBride:

I simply wanted to know how you would stack up playing both courses. You answered in your last post. Thanks ...

astavrides:

I didn't get it wrong buckeroo.

I've played BM and LCR several times and while I can appreciate what you and Kalen have said -- the kick-in mounding on the left of #9 at LCR is really a band-aid element added by the architect to "help" poor shots that are pulled in that direction.

Engh has a tendency to use bowl-shaped greens to level the playing field -- especially with misses.

On #3 at LCR you have several small putting greens all located within the larger canvass. No doubt luck can influence any shot but the probability from the times I have played both holes indicated to me at least that the 3rd gives little quarter unless a well-played skill shot is made.

Kalen:

The qualities of #3 give the player the belief that it is "tolerant." Play an indifferent approach and let me know how many times one three or four putts on that hole.

I also think the natural qualities of the view are far superior at #3 -- #9 shows clear signs of artful design via heavy usage of the bulldozer.

One other thing -- look at the totality of the par-3's at Black Mesa and Lakota Canyon Ranch -- no doubt IMHO, BM has the edge and it's not really that close.

Again -- may the thread go back to Black Mesa !!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
Kalen:

I also think the natural qualities of the view are far superior at #3 -- #9 shows clear signs of artful design via heavy usage of the bulldozer.

Again -- may the thread go back to Black Mesa !!!

Matt,

We shall agree to disagree on #3 and #9 at LC, which is completly agreeable to me.    ;D

I haven't played Black Mesa but would very much like to get out there and play it along with a few others in NM...

Perhaps a small GCA trip is in order??  ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »
I have to say this loud and clear -- Black Mesa is not some sort of lesser course when compared to the big time ones that get so much fanfare here. Unfortunately, there is a clear "herd mentality" here on GCA that relates itself to particular courses and to certain designers.

So, Matt, in your opinion, which big-time courses designed by certain favored architects are on the same level as or inferior to Black Mesa?  

I ask for two reasons.  First, I want to get a better idea of where you place Black Mesa in the pantheon of courses.  Second, it does seem like you're preaching to the choir a bit--it seems to me that Black Mesa has been very well received here and is even in the public, non-resort course category of sacred cows (along with Rustic Canyon, Wild Horse and perhaps Greywalls).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back