News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re:The Apex of Geekiness ...
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:38 PM »
I wear a white belt.

Maybe Shelly will tell you guys about his orange pants?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »

A ball retriever.

I just refuse to carry one and it's cost me more than golf balls.  Earlier this year I hit a ball into a pond, near the edge but I couldn't reach it with a club. I decided to take my shoes and socks off and go in the pond to retrieve the ball (a Callaway HX as I recall).  I lost my balance while trying to take one of my socks off and jammed my left middle finger against my leg, breaking a tendon in the process.  The finger is still bent and a little swollen six months after the incident, and it will never be normal again.

But I won't carry a ball retriever until I start playing the gold tees.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »
You guys can make fun of my ball retriever, but I have not bought a golf ball in probably five years.  You would be amazed how many ProV1s you can fish out of ponds while waiting for people in front of you to play.  Especially with the lack of rainfall here this year.  

It also comes in handy when I'm out with my father.  I probably fish out a couple of his a round.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
This just goes to show how much all you long-putterphobes know...

In the end I think you're right.  Broomstick putters are pathetic, but perhaps not geeky.  Though you are coming damn close.

;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 02:21:03 AM »
John Cullum,
Thank God you lost the putter cover...

It's that time of year again where if I have to chase down one more headcover I'm going to scream.

Now with the hybrid rage you've got about 6-10 possible headcovers per player to lose/retieve.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

paul cowley

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:43 AM »
I wear a variety of colorful wrestling masks that I found in Mexico....the stares I receive are off set by the fact that no one knows its me.

Anomimity suits me. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:48:18 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Joe Hancock

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
I wear a variety of colorful wrestling masks that I found in Mexico....the stares I receive are off set by the fact that no one knows its me.

Anomimity suits me. :)

Strongbad, is that you?  ;)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Andy Troeger

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »

Other than that, nothing... although I take extra cards from everywhere I play to keep them in a shoe-box collection... some guys think this is weird *shrug*

During High School matches I used to keep the FIR, GIR, Putt counts on the card just for my own personal stats.

I would guess both of those things are more common than you think. I've kept all my stats for about five years now (and off and on prior) and also have a scorecard collection. I get yardage books when I can if I think I'll like the course and want that beyond just the scorecard.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
When I started golf around age 13, I began keeping all my scorecards.

36 years later, I have a pristine card from every course I've ever played and keep them in a vintage trunk.  

Some definite geekiness going on there, but I'm glad for it.  It's also how I was able to chronicle every course I'd played many years later.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:03:10 AM by MikeCirba »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
Mike,
I'm missing 10 that I played at a young age and have not gone back to. I probably started at 14 or 15...dang it! :)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
Mike,
I'm missing 10 that I played at a young age and have not gone back to. I probably started at 14 or 15...dang it! :)

Andy,

If they still exist, I've found that sending them a self-addressed stamped envelope works.  

On the other hand, I must admit driving 2 hours each way one day to stop at a short course I played in college that I had neglected to collect one at.

Then again, I'm a completist geek.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:46:09 AM by MikeCirba »

Roger Tufts

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »
Besides the usual routines, I use a plastic brush thing with plastic bristles on one side, and metal on the other.

Not that it's that weird, but when you are playing in these amateur events and half the guys are dressed like tour pros and have the body language to match, you look like a 6-year old pulling out the brush, flicking the bristles out, and brushing a club after a shot....

If you want to get into superstitions...they go on forever...only prov1x's, 5 ball markers in my pocket...etc...

Golfer's Journal...
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tom Yost

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
I confess to having a shoebox full of scorecards.  Two cards for each course, one clean and one with my best score.  I've recently started to add the yardage books when available.

I also collect bag tags from courses I've played.  (No, I don't have them all hanging on my bag.)  I did have them displayed in my office, hanging from a flagstick mounted to the wall.  When we moved 12 years ago, I took them down and now they are in boxes.

I also maintain a database of Arizona golf courses.  I noticed that all the different published ones were incomplete or with errors, so I created my own.  I get excited when I find out about a new course and get to add it to my list.

On the course however, I'm perfectly normal.   ::)

Tom

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »
I confess to having a shoebox full of scorecards.  Two cards for each course, one clean and one with my best score.  I've recently started to add the yardage books when available.

I also collect bag tags from courses I've played.  (No, I don't have them all hanging on my bag.)  I did have them displayed in my office, hanging from a flagstick mounted to the wall.  When we moved 12 years ago, I took them down and now they are in boxes.

I also maintain a database of Arizona golf courses.  I noticed that all the different published ones were incomplete or with errors, so I created my own.  I get excited when I find out about a new course and get to add it to my list.

Tom

OMG, what a geek!!    :o

Of course, the major difference between us is that my listing of courses includes the entire mid-Atlantic, plus architectural attribution.  

But, bag tags...phew...  ;)  ;D

Andy Troeger

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
Mike,

Andy,

If they still exist, I've found that sending them a self-addressed stamped envelope works.  

On the other hand, I must admit driving 2 hours each way one day to stop at a short course I played in college that I had neglected to collect one at.

Then again, I'm a completist geek.  ;)

I actually did some of that to get it down to where it was, but thus far I've only focused on the good/decent courses. I re-counted and there are 13 remaining, so I may just have to do that to get the entire set!  ;D  Granted one is NLE, and it was more of a pitch and putt than a golf course in the first place, but it still had 9 holes!

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
Not me, but a guy I played with recently whose name I cannot mention (Dave Silk) even if you try and beat it out of me (Dave Silk) wears pink ladies underthings, or so he told us 50 times on his way to shooting 91. Said his handicapp has come down 10 strokes since he started.

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »

Tom

No more calls, please, we have a winner!  ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Gayne

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
I think those new golf shoes that you don't have to tie are pretty geeky. Supposedly the shoes use snowboot technology for the perfect fit. I've talked to a few people that wear them and they swear by them. Maybe functional but still seems geeky.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

Brent
I do the same, though you could save those ProVs for me. One less variable in a game with so many is a good thing for me.. I don't see it as geeky - I need all the help I can get.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
I have a brush to clean my clubs - I rationalize it by thinking it works better than a wet towel.

Steve, you are correct. Brush on a String™ attached to my bag. Even I can't lose it.

Roger Tufts

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »
Also, one thing I picked up from Brad that he does as well:

I Never play with a ball that has a number on it higher than four. In his words and mine, "you don't want anything higher than a four on your scorecard."

:)
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2007, 12:06:55 PM »
Not me, but a guy I played with recently whose name I cannot mention (Dave Silk) even if you try and beat it out of me (Dave Silk) wears pink ladies underthings, or so he told us 50 times on his way to shooting 91. Said his handicapp has come down 10 strokes since he started.

Anthony

Rod Stewart used to swear by them for singing, and stuff...

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »

Tom

No more calls, please, we have a winner!  ;D

Joe

Hold your horses, Joe. I was away from the internet - Tom are your score cards arranged by country?
I have several boxes of yardgage books, arranged by region, then I can be annoyed buying a new one each time a I visit a course.

Richard Boult

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

Brent
I do the same, though you could save those ProVs for me. One less variable in a game with so many is a good thing for me.. I don't see it as geeky - I need all the help I can get.

I've always thought that those of us who think using a single ball will help our game by reducing the number of variables are the very ones that won't see a bit of difference in our score. It's only after you get REALLY good, that the difference between a Top Flight and ProV1 make much diffference, and by the time you get that good, you can score w/ a Top Flight or any other ball.

Just play what you find, unless it requires use of a ball retriever ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:23:50 PM by R.Boult »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »

Brent

I've always thought that those of us who think using a single ball will help our game by reducing the number of variables are the very ones that won't see a bit of difference in our score. It's only after you get REALLY good, that the difference between a Top Flight and ProV1 make much diffference, and by the time you get that good, you can score w/ a Top Flight or any other ball.

Just play what you find, unless you're on tour ;)

Thanks for that R...
I can absolutely see a difference in the way the ProV reponds to chips and short pitches compared to even a similarly marketed ball, and I'm not much of a golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back