News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re: Photos of Leatherstocking GC (back 9 photos added by Craig D 24Aug)
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
Here are a series of photos looking left from the third tee, gradually towards the green. I believe the original hole design would have called for a tee shot over this entirely created gouge where the soil appears to have been used to create the slope leading to the green and possibly part of the fourth tee.

Anthony

The original tee for the third hole (long par 3) did call for a shot over that gorge - you can see a painting in the clubhouse with the original routing and a tee requiring a shot over the gorge.

Chris

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
Anybody have any idea which were the original 9 holes? I'm guessing the building used for the Cooperstown Country Club is the original clubhouse and that 9-12 were part of the original 9.

Anthony

Craig Disher

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
Anthony,
Thanks for those pictures. It's unfortunate that someone exchanged an exceptional short par 4 - which obviously required a great deal of construction at the time - for a rather ordinary par 5 - which could have continued to play as a strong par 4. Or maybe the scorecard just looked too unbalanced.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
Craig, I'm not sure you have that right.  The fourth hole is an excellent par-5 - highly reminiscent of 4 at garden city.  4 is one of the best holes and 3 is a par-3...

Emmet built his first nine there in 1909, then built the second nine in 1919.  Look for an article on the course from me soon.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »
Oh...and craig and Mike, here's some pix:

craig, I'll refer you to the pic of 4 on page 1...much better than the one I can't seem to upload yto photobucket...

here's 12 - a true "Short"

and here's the false front on 5:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:45:13 PM by Jay Flemma »

Craig Disher

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »
Jay,
Anthony suggested to me that the 4th tee was moved back which may have made the old 3rd tee unsafe - and thus its move to behind the 2nd green. I like 4 but if what Anthony says is true, I would like it just as much as a shorter par 5 or 4.5 if the original 3 could have been retained. That was an exceptional short par 4.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »
I was told they may have moved the bunkers...I have seen the old print he's referring to, but will have to see it again to remember.  Four is not all that long as it stands right now...I think the longer guys can reach it in two, but its a three-shotter for mere mortals like us.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
"In the making of the O-te-sa-ga Links neither money nor pains has been spared. As at Pine Valley, a great many persons, including the writer, have given their best idea and cooperation toward what is a really a very fine result."

Devereux Emmet, Golf Illustrated, August, 1921

There were, however, substantial changes made after this article was written. Here the 17, now a par-3, is listed as a par-5, and the eighteenth, now a par-5, is listed as a par-3. I believe the painting in the pro shop, which dates from about 1930, shows the course in its current configuration.

Anthony
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:41:24 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
That's correct about 17...that par-3 that plays over blackbird inlet is a fairly recent change.  The 16th used to have much more water and they reclaimed some land to make it the way it is now.

I don't think 16 and 17 really fit with the rest of the golf course, but I give them a pass because the rest of he course has terrific architecture, price is nice and so is the natural setting.  It's quite restorative, Glimmerglass.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
I find it ironic that Emmett built the original Garden City (basically today's routing) 10 years earlier.    I find it even more ironic that Emmett visited the great courses overseas annually from the 1880s, and was the one who sketched all the great holes there for Macdonald prior to NGLA.

Are we sure that Emmett didn't design Merion?? 

Aha!! And you mocked me when I suggested they had been foolish to hire a know-nothing greenhorn like Wilson rather than go with the proven talents of Travis or Colt. And now you throw Emmet into the mix to bolster my point. Merion might have ended up with a good course if only they had heeded my advice.  ::)

Andy,

I made that comment last year when I was under the mistaken impression that Emmett laid out something much like today's course in 1909.

As Tony mentions later in the thread, most of the course as it exists today was done in the early 20s.  It was originally a nine-holer, but I don't know which holes they were or whether the entire thing was revamped in the 20s. 

So, although Emmett was one of the Long Island guys, and did lots of work at NGLA (including bringing back the original sketches), and the original routing at Garden City (which was strengthened heavily by Travis in the 1906-1911 timeframe), he would not necessarily be known to the Merion committee in 1910 as anything other than a fine player and amateur sportsman, just like Macdonald.

And Andy...if you think I mocked you, I apologize.   You're one of my favorite people here and I would never do that intentionally.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
Here's what the club told me today while finishing up my article.  Emmat built 1-7 and 16, 18 in 1909, the rest of the course in 1919.

They're getting right back to me on the issue of when 17 was built.

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
Ronald's recent posting of a link to Leatherstocking pix prompted me to go back and have a look at this tour.  I always find myself blown over by how good this course looks.  If only I could convince my wife that up state NY is a good holiday destination.  Regardless, Leatherstocking remains one of the very few courses I really want to see before I fall off the twig.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dan Boerger

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
Sean - Consider a rental in the Old Forge/Inlet area in the Western Adriondacks. A really beautiful place and no more than a couple hours from Cooperstown, which is a quaint town and great for a day visit (even if you are not a baseball fan). Also, if you do go, I suggest you consider playing the Yahnundasis, another gem (located just outside Utica, NY). I'm from that area, so I'm partial to be sure.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bart Bradley

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Ronald's recent posting of a link to Leatherstocking pix prompted me to go back and have a look at this tour.  I always find myself blown over by how good this course looks.  If only I could convince my wife that up state NY is a good holiday destination.  Regardless, Leatherstocking remains one of the very few courses I really want to see before I fall off the twig.

Ciao

Sean:

My wife loved our 2 nights in Cooperstown...It is a beautiful spot and a very quaint town...there are some absolutely gorgeous B and B's there and the old hotel looks pretty neat as well.  The golf is very fun ...solid Doak 7 in my opinion.  Your wife would love the area/..we spent a day at the horse races in Saratoga (another very quaint town not too far away) before heading out to Cooperstown...get cracking man.

Bart

Jay Flemma

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »

Ciao

Baseball Hall of Fame is there and great antique shopping as well.  There's also terrific hiking in the A'dacks.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back