News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Why aren't there more greens on the Tour ...
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »
like this?

JSlonis

Re:Why aren't there more greens on the Tour ...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
Probably because there aren't ANY greens like that anywhere else.  I would think there are only a small handful of current architects that would have the the freedom to design something like you posted above.

That hole is very fun to play! ;D

SB

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:37:42 AM »
You are hereby given a demerit for beginning a .......

..... sentence on one page and ending it on another.  

One person doing it is annoying.  Two deserves a beating.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
What hole & course is that picture from?

Interesting, it's like a hybrid of a Raynor punchbowl and Short hole green (with internal thumbprint) - in this case internal punchbowl.  Some great potential hole locations on that green outside of the punchbowl as well, could make for some interesting putts.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:59:08 AM »
To me it reminds me of Golfland mini putt-putt courses all throught out the bay area.  They usually have a "volcano" green at every one...

JSlonis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
What hole & course is that picture from?

Interesting, it's like a hybrid of a Raynor punchbowl and Short hole green (with internal thumbprint) - in this case internal punchbowl.  Some great potential hole locations on that green outside of the punchbowl as well, could make for some interesting putts.

It's #12 at Forsgate CC, NJ (Charles Banks). A short 130-140 yard par 3.

This is a view from behind and to the left of the green.  The hole is named "Horseshoe".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:39:07 AM by JSlonis »

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:52:10 AM »
That's one of the coolest looking "Short" holes that I've seen... can't wait to play it.  It looks like you definitely don't wanna miss long...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:34 AM »
Looks to me that the pinable locations inside the horseshoe are very limited. Kind of a waste of real estate...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
It is fun to play and there are multiple examples of this feature.  I for one am glad there aren't more greens like this.  Naturalism over unnaturalism.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
It is fun to play and there are multiple examples of this feature.  I for one am glad there aren't more greens like this.  Naturalism over unnaturalism.

Agreed Wayne,

All its missing is the windmill and the trap doors that randomly open throughout the green.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »
Yeaman's Hall 3, Charleston 17, Blue Mound 7, and even the new generations Angel's Crossing has a couple of holes that have a thumb print, soap dish, whatever you like to call it...

I believe Richard Mandell buffed one of this kind up at Greenbrier, as well.

they are fun...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:43:02 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »
#9 at Mountain Lake is a very good Short Hole with a "thumbprint" in the green as well.  While they may be somewhat "unnatural", at least they are unique, interesting, and fun to play.  Like so many of the features (and appearance) of Raynor/Banks/Macdonald courses, they elicit a strong response.  You either love or hate 'em.  No one can sey they aren't memorable though.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back