News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

How I spent my summer vacation
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »
As I download pictures onto my computer I hope to single out some of the places I played and share them with you.  It has been a good year for me with trips to NY, NJ, CT, SC, NC, VA, CO, NE, ID, MI, MN and of course my home state of Maryland.

There are so many good courses out there that we can never run out of them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:04:36 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Sweeney

Re:How I spent my summer vacation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
It has been a good year for me with trips to NY, NJ, CT, SC, NC, VA, CO, NE, ID, MI, MN and of course my home state of Maryland.

Jeez, I was pretty excited about a week on Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. I am going to have to go back and tell my parents to reconsider this Catholic stuff. Protestant minister seems like a much better way to go!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
Tommy,

Don't let those jealous gentiles pull you down and share some pics.  Where did you play in Virginia and did you see any values better than Wild Horse?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »

There are so many good courses out there that we can never run out of them.

Tommy,
Very true, I've been fortunate this year to have played a lot of courses new to me (easier to do since I'm in a different part of the country). I've stuck to AZ, NM, and CO so far, but played 38 different new courses this year with everything from Castle Pines to Los Altos GC  ;D

IL and CA trips this fall I'm pretty excited about still!

PS: To all those "pick a course and stay and study it" posters out there, I admire you. Can't do it myself, but I admire you.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »
I have spent the Summer changing diapers.  I have and will only play one round of golf this Summer.  Hopefully that will change,...sometime soon.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »
I have spent the Summer changing diapers.  I have and will only play one round of golf this Summer.  Hopefully that will change,...sometime soon.

Brock, my kids are in their thirties and live in MN.  Good for you for knowing your priorities.  They really do grow up quickly.  Most of my travel this summer was kinda business.  I officiated at weddings of kids that I had baptized and watched grow up.  They have moved and asked me to come for the wedding.  As I stood before the couple I would think back to their childhood and how honored I was to be part of their wedding.  Cherish your time with your child.  It truly is some of your best moments of your life.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
Tommy -

Nice summer indeed. I enjoyed seeing you at Five Farms and hope we can do it again. I also enjoyed meeting your son and playing with him in Minnesota. Keep in touch.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »
Tommy, which courses did you play and enjoy in Colorado?
I am visiting Denver in two weeks and could use some good suggestions.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »
Tim -

How far do you want to drive to play? I went to Lakota and wish I didn't. There were too many bowl shaped green sites and there was some serious construction going on. The par 5s were good though. I may have liked it more if I had not played Ballyneal, Colorado Golf Club, and Castle Pines beforehand. I understand Redlands Mesa may be better than Lakota though. Fossil Trace is built on a tough site but was fun to play. It is a little closer to Denver.
Mr Hurricane

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 07:00:43 PM »
Tim,
I know Jim didn't care for it, but I think Lakota Canyon and Redlands Mesa are amongst the top public courses I've played. I like the Engh style though, you'll most likely either really like them or really not, does not seem to be many in between with him. Neither are close to Denver.

If you can get on places like Castle Pines, Colorado GC, and Cherry Hills, they are highly considered for good reason. Of the publics I played, The Broadmoor East is very nice but expensive. The Ridge at Castle Pines has a fun back nine but the front leaves much to be desired (too many houses for my taste). If you have a way of getting on the Eisenhower Blue course at the USAFA that one is a great course for the price.

There have been a few past threads on Denver not too long ago if you can find them.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »

Tim I played
Club at Pradera a good Jim Engh course with some unusual greens but is a good solid course.

Broadmoor East.  This is the site of the US Senior Ope next year.  They have grown the rough up, deepened many bunkers, narrowed to fairways and sped up the greens.  It is a great test but tough as nails.

Broadmoor Mt.  This may not be a great course but it is great fun on the side of a mt.  

Fossil Trace and Red Hawk Ridge.  Good and fun Jim Engh.  Like Pradera they both have some goofy greens. some of the greens are almost unputtable they are so severe.

Keystone Ranch and River.  Play the Ranch at sunset.  It is ok golf in a beautiful setting.  It is in a valley surrounded by the rockies.  The River is better golf in a very hilly setting with views of Lake Dillon.  I really liked the course.

Red Sky Ranch, Norman and Fazio.  The Fazio is ok but the Norman Course is wonderful.  It haas vies of the Vail valley and is built on land that seems to severly sloped for golf but Norman did a wonderful job routing the course.  It is difficult but playable.  There is abundant room of the tee but the shots into the greens are demanding and the greens tricky.

Colorado Golf Club.  This is a new Coore/Crenshaw course.  It is routed over mostly flatish ground but the course is terriffic.  It is worth begging to get on.  The par three course may be the best (outside of Pine Valley's) I have played.

The Sanctuary.  has a few odd greens but is Jim Engh's second best course.  The Club at Black Rock in Idaho is his best.

Ballyneal.  It is not as good as Sand Hills but it sure is a kissing cousin.  It is great fun.  Tom Doak built it as a walking course and the shots into the green require imagination.   Bring a good short game.  There is ample room off the tee but listen to your caddy as to where to hit the ball.
St. John of the Cross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »
I'll give you covetous.

Gene Greco

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »

Tim I played
Club at Pradera a good Jim Engh course with some unusual greens but is a good solid course.

Broadmoor East.  This is the site of the US Senior Ope next year.  They have grown the rough up, deepened many bunkers, narrowed to fairways and sped up the greens.  It is a great test but tough as nails.

Broadmoor Mt.  This may not be a great course but it is great fun on the side of a mt.  

Fossil Trace and Red Hawk Ridge.  Good and fun Jim Engh.  Like Pradera they both have some goofy greens. some of the greens are almost unputtable they are so severe.

Keystone Ranch and River.  Play the Ranch at sunset.  It is ok golf in a beautiful setting.  It is in a valley surrounded by the rockies.  The River is better golf in a very hilly setting with views of Lake Dillon.  I really liked the course.

Red Sky Ranch, Norman and Fazio.  The Fazio is ok but the Norman Course is wonderful.  It haas vies of the Vail valley and is built on land that seems to severly sloped for golf but Norman did a wonderful job routing the course.  It is difficult but playable.  There is abundant room of the tee but the shots into the greens are demanding and the greens tricky.

Colorado Golf Club.  This is a new Coore/Crenshaw course.  It is routed over mostly flatish ground but the course is terriffic.  It is worth begging to get on.  The par three course may be the best (outside of Pine Valley's) I have played.

The Sanctuary.  has a few odd greens but is Jim Engh's second best course.  The Club at Black Rock in Idaho is his best.

Ballyneal.  It is not as good as Sand Hills but it sure is a kissing cousin.  It is great fun.  Tom Doak built it as a walking course and the shots into the green require imagination.   Bring a good short game.  There is ample room off the tee but listen to your caddy as to where to hit the ball.

Quite a few courses in one state! Did you play this much variety in EVERY state you visited?

What courses did you play here in NY?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back