News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Bandon Dunes from a variety of viewpoints
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Like many people, I tend to myopically view golf courses from the perspective of my own game.  After spending 4 beautiful and benign days playing the courses at Bandon Dunes alone, I got to see a wide variety of players try and tackle these fine courses.  Rather than critique the courses, I thought I would write my observations of how each course played for my companions.

I'll put my observations on each course in this thread as I have time.

Pacific Dunes

1st 9 - Mr. and Mrs Havershkamp

This older couple struggled in every way imaginable.  They struggled to put the ball in play.  The wife struggled to find the next tee (and then struggled to find where she had left her pull cart).  The difficult greenside undulations were a huge aggravation because neither member of the couple could anticipate them.  Even the view was compromised for them.  The fogged rolled in on 4 tee.  This couple enjoyed the more moderate Bandon much more.

2nd 9 - 3 handicap gamblers

Perfect course for this group.  A ton of birdies but a few X's as well.  

2nd 18 - erratic players out for the only round of the year

These guys lost a ton of balls and generally could not get out of the bunkers.  Their caddy did an outstanding job shepherding  them around the course, teaching the putter from 40 yards and teaching the fundamentals of sand play.  The entire group was thrilled when the father hit a good one.  Both people shot a million but had enough good holes and fantastic views to enjoy the course.

3rd 18 - Bomber and his Dad

The 25 year old bomber really enjoed the course but shot in the mid 80's after being in the mid 70's at Bandon Dunes.  After hitting a bad shot or two and some poor putts,this guy started to press, his swing went awry and his short game did as well.  As a result, the course got in his cranium on a very calm day.

Woman with a good swing

The one woman I played with made a ton of pars and enjoyed herself.  The bunkers were close to impossible for her, but, so long as it was not a stoke play event, I cannot imagine a much more ideal course.

Me (8 handicap)

Fighting my swing a bit, and not making solid contact around the greens, this course generally ate my lunch despite little wind.  (84, 92, 82m with some stroke control).  I always had a good chance and thought the course played equally difficult from the back (about 6600) and the green (about 6100) tees.  Great course but I felt a bit worn out and frustrated after 3 rounds of fighting to score.

Based on the Bomber, the erratic father and son and me, I think I agree with Pat Ruddy's comment that it is impossible tobuild fairways wide enough for someone off their game.

Scott Weersing

Re:Bandon Dunes from a variety of viewpoints
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
Which of your partners enjoyed the course architecture the most?

Did you play any course besides Pacific Dunes?

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
Jason,
   I'm enjoying the report, keep it up. Also, what was the perspective of the golfers you golfed with? What were their comments about the course?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »
No offense, but 84 and 82 aren't exactly struggling to score for an 8 handicap at Pacific Dunes.  I've played with a 4 that was ecstatic to shoot a 79.  I've been out there as anything from a 12 to a 15 and never broken 90 once in 9 rounds.  Another buddy that has been either high single digits or low teens has only broken 90 once in 9 rounds.

I've had some great 9s (as good as 39) and some great stretches of holes, but there are too many blowups out there to expect to shoot your handicap (forget about your index) frequently unless you are a pretty low handicapper.

It is certainly interesting to hear the perspective of those you played with as I haven't really played with anyone out there other than the guys on the trip with me.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »
Interesting - I'm an erratic low-teens golfer and struggled mightily at PD - I know the fairways are wide but I found the gorse more penal than anywhere I've played in Scotland...I played BD twice and PD 3x on a trip two years ago and found BD more forgiving and (thus?) more fun - I need to return when (if?) my game is 'on' so I can take a fresh look (and play Trails)

Greg Cameron

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »
Jason, I like your style of comment on the courses at Bandon.I recently played 2 courses in the British Columbia interior and visited a third under construction,my feeling was I could not compare them,all three were outstanding,just as I could not say Blonde vs. redhead,brunette vs.Ethnic minority,all three had there place (IMHO) in the golf market,i.e apples and oranges.Can't wait for my pilgramage to Bandon,and good for you to not judge/categorize,yet make observations.....well done....Greg

Joe Bentham

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:47:04 AM »
The players who disregard their medal score in favor of match play games enjoy Bandon (and IMHO golf in general) more then the players who insist on counting every stroke, or at least writing a number down for every hole.  'My seven beats your 8.  I win', should be everyone's mantra when they come out here.  That mindset allows for conservative play, and opens up the options even more then for the player who is simply trying to post the best number on every hole.  Thats why its important to come with people you enjoy playing with and against.  Your mindset sours when your constantly writing down double bogeys.  But if your in a close match, you can maintain your focus and interest better, regardless of the medal score.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:47:46 AM by Joe Bentham »

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »
Which of your partners enjoyed the course architecture the most?

Did you play any course besides Pacific Dunes?

Sorry for my lack of response yesterday.  After a redeye flight, I never got back to the computer.

I'm not sure who enjoyed the architecture the most.  I think it requires at least some ability to hit the ball where you are aiming to really enjoy plotting a plan for getting through the hole.

I played all three courses and will describe them when I get the chance.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:00:47 AM »
Jason,
   I'm enjoying the report, keep it up. Also, what was the perspective of the golfers you golfed with? What were their comments about the course?

Most of my playing partners enjoyed themselves greatly.  Focus was more on views and trying unique links shots than the merits or demerits of particular holes.

The course was perfect for match play nassaus.  If you make a big number, it is one hole.  If you make 2 big numbers it is a press.

It was interesting to see reactions to seemingly good shots that rolled into trouble and seemingly bad shots that bounced back into play.  Generally, like gambling, I think most people thought the good bounces were due to skill and the bad bounces travesties of justice.

One person made the comment that the severe greens at Pacific slow down play.  My guess is that they probably do.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »
No offense, but 84 and 82 aren't exactly struggling to score for an 8 handicap at Pacific Dunes.  I've played with a 4 that was ecstatic to shoot a 79.  I've been out there as anything from a 12 to a 15 and never broken 90 once in 9 rounds.  Another buddy that has been either high single digits or low teens has only broken 90 once in 9 rounds.

I've had some great 9s (as good as 39) and some great stretches of holes, but there are too many blowups out there to expect to shoot your handicap (forget about your index) frequently unless you are a pretty low handicapper.

It is certainly interesting to hear the perspective of those you played with as I haven't really played with anyone out there other than the guys on the trip with me.

I'm sure you are generally right Tim, but I played on days where the wind ranged from no wind to a south wind of less than 10 miles per hour.  The only way the course could have played easier was if it was soft.

Incidentally, if there were ever a set of courses that expose the flaws in the course rating system, it is those at Bandon.

As an initial matter, it is kind of silly to set a single course rating for courses that are so weather dependent.  Shooting your handicap on any of the courses in a 15-20 mile per hour wind would be an incredible accomplishment.  Doing so on a normal tree lined course is not nearly as difficult.

Independent of that factor, the ratings seemed greatly askew when compared to each other.  Bandon Dunes yielded the lowest scores to nearly everyone I talked to.  Its rating was 73.9 (142), which was completely out of whack on a calm day.  Bandon Trails struck me as somewhat more difficult, but I could see the rating being lower (73.4, 130) because of the relative protection from the elements.  What made no sense to me was Pacific's rating of (71.5, 129) given the relative difficulty of the greens and exposure to the wind.

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »
The players who disregard their medal score in favor of match play games enjoy Bandon (and IMHO golf in general) more then the players who insist on counting every stroke, or at least writing a number down for every hole.  'My seven beats your 8.  I win', should be everyone's mantra when they come out here.  That mindset allows for conservative play, and opens up the options even more then for the player who is simply trying to post the best number on every hole.  Thats why its important to come with people you enjoy playing with and against.  Your mindset sours when your constantly writing down double bogeys.  But if your in a close match, you can maintain your focus and interest better, regardless of the medal score.

I agree and think that approach probably works best for enjoying golf in general, but particularly at any links type course or one with big numbers as a part of the mix.

Richard Boult

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Jason, thanks for the report. You (and those commenting) really helped set my expectations appropriately for my upcoming first visit to Bandon. I signed up for a 4-day event there next month with the Shivas Irons Society.  Can't wait!!! I'm still determined to break 80 just once!

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
Jason -

What was the pace of play for each of the foursomes?

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »
Pace of play depended on who we were behind rather than my group itself.  It varied from 3:50 (ealy am) to 4:45 (more typical).

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »
Jason, thanks for the report. You (and those commenting) really helped set my expectations appropriately for my upcoming first visit to Bandon. I signed up for a 4-day event there next month with the Shivas Irons Society.  Can't wait!!! I'm still determined to break 80 just once!

Good luck.  I'd try for that aura thing.  

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »
Bandon Trails

Having heard some mixed reviews, I did not expect Bandon Trails to be in the same class as the other courses.  I was therefore very surprised at how well I liked it.  Though a completely different experience than the other two courses, I thought it was very thought provoking, very beautiful and challenging test.  The 14th struck me as over the top, but it played reasonably well for us because we had a south wind - the opposite of the prevailing direction.  Thus, the 2nd shot was a wedge to the middle of the green with the wind helping keep the ball on the green.

Mid Handicap couple:

This couple played from green and front tees.  Other than an occassional ball search, they were able to get around the course quite quickly, experience the thrill of a large number of good holes and also experience some blowup holes.  The blowout bunkers were very difficult for them and the 14th green proved impossible with balls going from the bunkers right, to over the green left and then back again.  It seems to me that the 14th green just needs to be a bit wider than it is.

High single digit senior and me

This person and I played pretty similar games - not overly long, relatively decent control over the ball with occassional loss of muscle and brain control.  The course is almost a perfect challenge for our skill level.  Even from the back tees, many par fives could be reached.  There were many layup vs. agressive choices in which either option could be a reasonable decision.  (par fives and at least 1 short par four).

I thought the par 3 of about 245 yards was one of the best and most unique holes on the course.  A big mound right of the green makes an up and down almost impossible if one bails out right, but there is at least 30 yards of width left of the mound.

The greens were a challenge, but I believe less severe in general than at Pacific.  On the other hand, maybe I was just putting and chipping better.

It looks like I posted 83 from the black tees and 82 from the green.

Tim Bert

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »

Independent of that factor, the ratings seemed greatly askew when compared to each other.  Bandon Dunes yielded the lowest scores to nearly everyone I talked to.  Its rating was 73.9 (142), which was completely out of whack on a calm day.  Bandon Trails struck me as somewhat more difficult, but I could see the rating being lower (73.4, 130) because of the relative protection from the elements.  What made no sense to me was Pacific's rating of (71.5, 129) given the relative difficulty of the greens and exposure to the wind.

We can agree here.  Bandon Dunes has been the most scoreable for me.  While I haven't exactly caught fire at any of the courses for a full 18, this is the only course where I'e broken 90.  I did it twice with an 89 and an 86.  I also shot a 90 there that was the best ball striking round of the three.  The wind was absolutely howling that afternoon.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
BANDON DUNES

Couple - good female player struggling with a bad back, erratic guy

This is the best course for the erratic player - the course is so wide, there are fewer bad bounces and fewer disaster spots in which the ball can wind up.  We spent the least amount of time looking for balls on this course than any other.

It was also interesting to watch this woman play.  Probably due to physical pain, she was so down on her own game that she seemed to be torturing herself on the course.  She hit a unique slinging hook with an athletic swing.  She would then berate herself when she hit it crooked.  Centerline bunkers seemed to gobble up her ball quite often.  Short game shots were also difficult.

The 16th was impossible for both of them as they found the gorse repeatedly.

CLUB PRO AND HIS FATHER

The course was great fun for these guys.  The pro had a large number of great birdie chances but a balky putter held him back.  His father played the green tees on all holes except par threes and played well, birdieing the last two holes.

MY IMPRESSIONS

The undulation on the course, in particular on the approaches and greens is much less dramatic than at Pacific, giving much better opportunities for scoring.  There are also fewer secrets and surprises which one can either like or dislike according to taste.

On a calm day, I thought the course was too wide.  Targets were often 50 yards wide with little to distinguish the benefits of one position vs. another.

The bunkering at Bandon is more traditional grass faced bunkering.  While the bunkers were deep and penal, there was little or none of the long grass around them to create unplayable lies.  The sand was also much more uniform making bunker shots easier to hit.  Even though I do not like looking at these bunkers as much, I enjoy playing out of them more.  I have a much better chance at recovery.

I thought both of the short par fours were excellent.  I get a thrill out of hitting the ball over things so the 16th was more memorable, but the hole on the front 9 reminded me a lot of number 7 at Sand Hills.

My caddie reports that scoring is almost always best at Bandon.  It was for me (78, 78 ) with at least one stroke control hole.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:40:16 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
OTHER IMPRESSIONS

The resort comes very close to my ideal of service - very helpful and always available but it did not feel like a CCFAD with people trying to either help you or sell you something all of the time.  The service is particularly impressive given the volume of customers.  They did 585 rounds one day I was there and the operation did not seem to strain at all.

The caddies are probably as good as can be found anywhere, certainly anywhere with 300 caddies.  I probably say 15 of them work and I thought they ranged from above average to excellent.  

It was interesting how they set up the first tee.  At Bandon Dunes and Pacific, if you wanted to play the back tees, you had to go backwards from the startetr, have everyone milling around the tee move out of the way and then hit.  You feel a bit silly creating all of that commotion and need to be confident it is the right thing to do if you do so.  

If I went back right now, the course I would most want to play would be Bandon Trails, which I think ranks with the other two courses.  I think playing all three in equal doses, however, is a superior experience to focusing on one of them.

Next time I go, I want wind and opponents for bitterly contested matches.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
Jason, when you wrote, "Next time I go, I want wind and opponents for bitterly contested matches."

You need to plan a trip for February. I have only been to Bandon in February. And it is much more fun to play in a match and realize that you are never out of a hole. We usually have three days of good weather and one day of bad weather.

It is good to hear that you were getting great service. We are always impressed with how well run the course is. I hoped that your trip would be as good as mine have been.

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 06:40:10 PM »
Some really excellent content in the writeup, Jason - well done.

Here's hoping you get some wind and worthy opponents upon your return visit.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »
Jason:  I don't doubt that Scott means every word he says.  But having gone this past February, well... let's just way we didn't get close to one hole of decent weather and we played more than 90.  Oh it worked out and I have no regrets.... and given the very high cost February remains a great time to go price-wise... I just wouldn't expect the weather Scott reports.  Perhaps we were just outrageously unlucky.  But do a search and maybe you'll find the thread we did about our trip... The pictures rather say it all.

As for the rest, GREAT REPORTS - very fun read.

TH
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:47:15 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »
Jason,
   Excellent report, I hope to hear more as you ponder over the experience. If you don't mind pick one hole from each course that was a favorite of yours and why.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

rjsimper

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 08:13:09 PM »
Bandon Dunes Resort in February:

rjsimper

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »
And....

Bandon Dunes Resort in February

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back