News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:What new programming would you like to see for the Golf Channel?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »
The fight scenes would have to be cut...but the outtakes could sell for a lot on late night cable TV  ;)

Tim Leahy

Re:What do you think about this idea for Golf Channel programming?
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 07:24:58 PM »
re: SHOWCASE GREAT GOLF COURSES!!!
I'd love to see the Golf Channel do something like "The Wandering Golfer", with more emphasis on golf and less on "Fine Living"!

I would watch such a show, or even better a profile show of great new and old golf architects and their courses. I would much rather watch that than the third rerun of Tiger's greatest shots.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »
Mike B
That show originated in the NW through Jeff Sanders Promotions., Think the original course was Sunriver, then moved to Pumpkin Ridge. It was open to all courses, and Trysting Tree (Corvallis/OSU) won its share. Sponsors wanted a larger format, more viewership so they went sectional, then regional.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 10:33:18 PM »
1. I like the idea of a Wandering Golfer type show - again more golf emphasis.

2. A show on Great Golf Courses of the World with an emphasis on golf architecture.  If the GCA is living, invite him to provide design insight, decisions made and why.  If the GCA is not living, there is significant GCA resources that could provide insight.  I would especially like to see GB&I and NZ/Aussie emphasis that would educate many in US to the fine courses outside our borders.

2b.  I would love to see biographical pieces on the Golden Age GCA.  Some of the books that have read by recommendation on this site have been really good reading.

3. I miss the Peter Kessler interviews with the older generation of golfers.  There is such a wealth of entertainment and learning of a different time on the PGA tour (pre big money).  Thier stories were great.  I loved Snead, Runyan, Nelson, Sarazen etc.  They were truly great characters.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:35:18 PM by Dan Smoot »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 10:52:31 PM »
British Am, Western Am, Northeast Am, North and South, anything amateur. There is plenty of professional golf on already. People do watch college football and basketball.

It still boggles my mind that they haven't done a trivia show. Oh, US and British Open qualifying as well. TGC leaves a lot of great stories out on the table.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:54:55 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 11:06:38 PM »

Justin Gale

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:53 PM »
Nice photoshop skills Ian!

I just wish we had a "Golf Channel" in Australia. On second thoughts, maybe not, as I may turn into a hermit.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:37 AM »

How about a golf architecture show featuring different architects discussing their theories, "signatures", objects, etc etc as are discussed on this site all the time. I would love to hear that type of interview. It could be in a similar format to "Playing with the Pros", I think it is called, where an architect goes around one or more of his courses and points out features, what they were trying to accomplish, etc. I think everyone on this site would love something along those lines.

Another show could be put on by superintendents. Sounds pretty boring in some circles but I think it could be quite entertaining. "Setting up a course for club championship day", "maintenance headaches", "pin placements", etc etc could be fun. Not as much fun as the architects, but still fun.

Another would be a history series. Maybe biographies. Documentaries on the Triumverate, Alister Mackenzie, just to name a few.

On the other side, I would love to see fewer "talking heads". Grey Goose . . .  whatever it is called does nothing for me. Just three people chatting endlessly. Just like the local sports radio shows that just have to fill up time. Total waste of time!

I recently thought of how great it would be if we could see a Monty Python like news program. Something like "The lead story tonight is that there is absolutely nothing sufficiently newsworthy tonight to justify the evening news" "Why is that?" and then they launch off into a study of why there is no news that anyone would want to hear.

Becoming cynical in my old age.

Bob Jenkins

billb

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 02:35:30 AM »
Anything focused on architecture would be great...but as said above, won't get enough viewers. Too bad.

They of course did interview Tiger about his views on golf architecture as part of the hype surrounding his first American design. Absolutely ludicrous drivel....I turned it off.

On the positive side, TGC showed a rerun of a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from the late 80s (?). Greg Norman vs. Nick Faldo at Sunningdale Old, they discussed every hole and showed fly overs. Good stuff. Nick lost, but he had a driver made of wood.

Richard Choi

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »
I don't want more "Wonderful World of Golf" type of shows. I want the focus on the courses and not the players. Even with the best WWG shows, I would say 80% of the attention is on the players and 20% is on the course.

What I would love to see is basically what David Pelz does for GC before every major. Where he picks out 1 or 2 crucial holes and shows users why it is so dangerous and how a player should approach those holes.

Expand that to cover all 18 holes, add some interview with architects and voila, there is the show I want to watch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back