News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Druzisky

Links and Homes
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »
Iam looking for some examples - good or bad - of golf "developments" that marry links style golf with adjacent housing. Not getting heavy on the merrits of the golf too much, but courses that pull off that look with minimal to no trees and landcsape but great links topo and fescues etc..

I am trying to imagine a ballyneal with houses around it.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Links and Homes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:24 AM »
Cambridge in Evansville, In does a good job.  I don't recall ever being distracted by the housing.  http://www.villageofcambridge.com/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
.....and all that for $21.00. Who says golf has to be expensive.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »
.....and all that for $21.00. Who says golf has to be expensive.

Evansville is one hell of a golfing opportunity.  You can buy a pass for the four courses the city owns for only $500 for the entire year.  We usually play Cambridge during the off season when the $21 includes cart rental.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »
Wild Horse is an excellent example.  Simply awful homes that do not seem to distract.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:44:18 AM »
There are flats to the right of the 18th on the Old Course, above the shops.  The 4th, 17th and 18th holes at Elie are flanked by houses.  The 2nd at Hoylake is flanked by a residential road.  I'm sure there are many other examples of genuine links in GB&I with housing adjacent to part of the course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »
There is housing development next to Royal St George's called The Sandwich Bay Estate. The garden of one house backs onto the fourth green and other houses are visible to the right of the fifth fairway.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:39:09 AM by Daniel_Robson »

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
Royal Lytham sits amongst housing and some industrial areas of the Blackpool area near Liverpool. Hoylake has houses near a few areas, notably (old routing) several holes on the first part of the front nine and 17-18 on the back nine.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
There are flats to the right of the 18th on the Old Course, above the shops.  The 4th, 17th and 18th holes at Elie are flanked by houses.  The 2nd at Hoylake is flanked by a residential road.  I'm sure there are many other examples of genuine links in GB&I with housing adjacent to part of the course.

Mark
North Berwick is another one that springs to mind, with houses and hotels bordering the inland side of the course all the way out to the 7th green.  Lytham is almost completely surrounded by housing. As you say I'm sure there's plenty of others.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back