News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Rees Jones courses I heart
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:27:47 PM »
A few years ago I joined the Rees-bashers on this site after a walking tour of what I still consider to be an uninspired remodel of Torrey Pines South.

In the past few weeks though, I've played tournaments at two Rees Jones remodels that I thought were brilliant, and which I consider among my favorite courses.

First was the Dunes Course at Monterey Peninsula Country Club. After playing Mike Strantz's Shore Course, I couldn't imagine why so many members would actually prefer a different course in a much more "standard" architectural style. But sure enough I left MPCC with tremendous respect for the Dunes Course.

Second was Lake Merced Golf Club just outside of San Francisco. Under tournament conditions it's a very strong test of golf and there are no weak holes.

The two courses share a number of characteristics, most notably complicated, imaginative greens and very deep bunkering. The greens in particular surprised me as I'd always thought of Rees as building a lot of boring tiered greens (as he did at Torrey Pines South). At both MPCC and LMGC however, the greens are fascinating, with a variety of interesting features both internally and at the edges. You'd almost think Pete Dye were involved (in a good way).

Both courses featured a number of bunkers head-high or deeper. I don't know how they function for member play, but for tournament play it was great to see. Generally speaking, they were scary and influenced my play very much.

Between the greens and the bunkers, both courses demand a great deal of precision all the way back to the tee. LMGC in particular also poses a number of very challenging tee shots, although I think this is a reflection of the original hole corridors more than Rees' efforts.

Both courses were a bit quirkier than I expected (5, 6, 9 at MPCC; 4, 9, 13 at LMGC). They're not quirky courses; but neither is anything like Torrey Pines, where practice rounds hardly even seem necessary. And, they're both short: neither course is 7,000 from the tips, both at par 72. After the fourth hole at LMGC, only one more par-4 is over 400 yards.

So many of today's headliner courses have "that look" - flowing lines, ragged fescue, and artsy bunkers everywhere. MPCC Dunes and LMGC have a much more traditional, basic look to them. Just grass mowed in relatively straight lines, and trees, and sand placed in very normal looking bunkers. I almost felt bad for liking the Dunes Course so much; it seemed that I really "should" appreciate the wild, flowing Shore Course a lot more.

In the end, though, I felt very comfortable on a more traditional golf landscape.

So, although I've bashed Rees' Torrey Pines effort throughout this post, I no longer consider myself a Rees-basher. I know that not all of his courses are as likable as the two I've talked about here. But at the moment Lake Merced and MPCC Dunes are the first two entries on my list of Rees Jones courses I heart.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Rees Jones courses I heart
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »
Great stuff, Matt.

Personally I don't care much who designs a course (no offense to those of you who do this for a living), it's what the course is that's important to me.

And what MPCC Dunes is is a GREAT GREAT golf course, through and through.  You summed it up well - it's a stern test, but certainly not RELENTLESS, and it has enough quirk to satisfy even the most wild quirkmeisters in here.  On top of that, it has pretty much the most thrilling one-shotter in our state outside of Cypress Point, in #14.  It really is a wonderful golf course, and it has always perplexed me how so many denizens in here wax poetic about the Shore while poo-poohing the Dunes.  

I kinda like Lake Merced also, but to me it's more of a straightforward test of golf.  

TH

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »
I have always liked most of the RJ work I see.
I think you explained it with the statement:
"First was the Dunes Course at Monterey Peninsula Country Club. After playing Mike Strantz's Shore Course, I couldn't imagine why so many members would actually prefer a different course in a much more "standard" architectural style. But sure enough I left MPCC with tremendous respect for the Dunes Course."
There are a lot of people that are not going to enjoy the courses hyped on this site......probably a majority....
Try his black Lake course in michigan sometime.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
Rees Jones Nut Hugger seems apt here.  

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
I've always enjoyed the 27 holes he built for the NCGA at Poppy Ridge. The holes are all memorable and there is a good variety of shots played from tee to green, even if the putting surfaces themselves are a little uninspired. Excellent routing to come up with three evenly difficult nines that all end up right beneath the clubhouse.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
Matt:

Interestingly, you picked two Rees Jones courses which weren't routed by Rees, and I'm not sure whether he redesigned all the greens or not.  You could put East Lake in the same camp, an excellent course which is sort of Rees and sort of Ross.

I do think there are lots of people here who don't like Rees' work because for many years his bunkering was so uninspired.  Those people would have panned Atlantic years ago, but would praise it now because they've redone all the bunkers.

It's his greens which I'm not fond of.  They are all quite similar ... 99% of them are built on fill pads, they seldom fall away from the golfer or into a natural contour on the sides, and the internal contours are usually pretty mellow.  I guess they're all designed in anticipation of Augusta-like green speeds.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »
Kyle -

Interesting take on Poppy Ridge.  Do you agree that the 27 holes are Scottish Heathland in nature and that was Rees' intent from the beginning?

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:16:59 PM »
Kyle -

Interesting take on Poppy Ridge.  Do you agree that the 27 holes are Scottish Heathland in nature and that was Rees' intent from the beginning?

Mike

Mike,

Disclaimer: I have never been to the British Isles.

IMHO, Poppy Ridge was intended to look like a heathland course (heavy use of fescue surrounding the holes), but it doesn't play like them. The greens complexes would allow for run up shots in many cases if conditions were firm enough (the entrances are usually hazard free), but the fairways and greens lack any sort of significant rumpling. Any ground shot will be played directly at the pin 90% of the time, as there are few ground features to funnel or deflect. No imagination is required and recovery shots invariably take place in bunkers. There are a few holes with that break that mold, but I don't believe the course features the hallmarks of the great heathland courses. Still, I won't judge the course against the disingenuous ad campaign that the NCGA cooked up for it.

As I said before, its the routing and the tee to green features that show inspiration. I give it a favorable rating based on those merits.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »
Olde Kinderhook near Albany, NY is wonderful and I do love it.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »
With my former employer, we operated the club at Cherry Valley in NJ....my wife and I have very fond memories of the course....I really enjoyed playing there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back