News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re:In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #300 on: May 16, 2014, 08:39:25 AM »
Keep going John, by the end of the week you have only one course in the world left to play.  ;)

Just joined my fifth dues paying (I will not count the one honorary)...A cute little 18 hole parkland for $65/month and no initiation fee.  One reason I joined is that they allow pull carts and my 12 year old and I can walk together without having to pay double for a cart or me get a caddie.  I'm now searching for a nice pull cart for myself so I am no longer a pull cart snob....yea.  The main reason I joined is they have affordable overnight lodging close to home and a great bar.
+1
I apologize for missing throwback Thursday by one day. 

Lou_Duran

Re: In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #301 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »
I like well-conditioned greens.  Prefer level tees and good drainage.  I am becoming extremely intolerant of slow play and golfers who don't rake bunkers or take care of the course.

archie_struthers

« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
 >:( ;) :)

I'm a pace of play snob for my daily play.  Can only handle an occasional 4 1/2 plus round   

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Golly, I used to be a golf snob, but over the years, I learned that was jerky.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

BHoover

« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
I think squared-off tee boxes are the only way to go. Otherwise, there's not a lot that I'm picky about...except I do despise the a$$hats who don't replace their strip steak-sized divots or fix ball marks, so I'm a snob about leaving the course in better shape than I found it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:53:49 PM by Brian Hoover »

jeffwarne

« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
I think from day one I was a golf snob.  A lot of my friends only want to play the "best" courses.

But then a few on this site, Adam Clayman really comes to mind, encouraged me to play some "clunkers" in order to #1) find some hidden gems related to courses or holes, #2) gain a better appreciation for the great courses.

After having done this, I think my golf snobbery has almost been eliminated.  I have found that I enjoy courses of all shapes, sizes, and quality.  Even if in fact I don't "like" the course, I am looking for the good points that exist that people might be over-looking.

Nice post Mac

I heard on the radio Charles Barkley talking about wanting to play the best course in each of the 50 states.
While i admire his willingness to travel and do something unique, hearing him say it made me want to barf.

I don't know why.

So many people only want to play "the best" courses.
it agitates me, again I don't know why.

I guess I just don't understand why someone who really sucks (Charles Barkley being exhibit A) feels they "deserve" to be playing "the best"

I really enjoy people who love playing golf, and are into variety, unusual courses, subtle courses,architecturally interesting courses,country courses, remote courses, scenic courses,munis etc.
But mainly people who love the playing (and 19th hole replaying) of golf-not telling people what Top 100 asshole trap they just played

Which makes me a golf snob :( :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:58:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

How many members of the Tree House have played a round of golf an oiled greens? Or where you had to  tear a piece of paper from a scorecard to tee up your ball through the green? Not all rounds have been blessed with green grass, no matter what, the game can still be enjoyed.

Bob

Dave McCollum

« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
These last two posts, coming from folks who really have played the very best, should be appreciated.  With the right folks, any course is enjoyable.  Personally, I can’t think of a time a round of golf was wrecked by the quality of the course.  My preference is for brisk pace of play.  I’m not a snob about it.  If I can’t play at a pace I enjoy, I don’t play. 

When I was a kid, several generations ago, I played a 9-hole course with sand “greens.”  Not oiled sand; rather sand like in an unraked bunker with a single, three foot wide, rolled and smoothed strip.   Local rule dictated that you step off the distance from the hole, place your ball on the strip at a similar distance, then putt.  It was still a game and we still had fun.  Thanks for dragging up that memory, Bob.

Mike_Young

« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
I don't play golf with women....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »

How many members of the Tree House have played a round of golf an oiled greens? Or where you had to  tear a piece of paper from a scorecard to tee up your ball through the green? Not all rounds have been blessed with green grass, no matter what, the game can still be enjoyed.

Bob

The Sag Harbor Golf Club where I'm a member (I play there in the winter(not this one ::)) as it's very protected and the wind doesn't howl there, used to have oiled greens but alas I was too late and just missed them

I did have packed sand greens on my childhood backyard course which rolled very quick and smooth
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #310 on: May 17, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »
Its difficult to say its snobbery when a guy is paying for his preferences, but I still have standands where conditioning is concerned.  I want the course I play to be dry, the greens in reasonable condition and the rough under control.  That can be asking a lot at times, but I am willing to travel to have these standards met. 

I could care less about all the people standards of dress and god knows what.  You wanna wear 5 logos, you gotta right.  You wanna wear jeans, knock yerself out.  I draw the line at phone usage and it would seem music playing on the course  :D.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Lou_Duran

« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
I don't play golf with women....

I try to avoid playing with guys who wax regularly.

Jud_T

« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
I want the course to be dry, running approach shots to be on offer and some architectural interest.  I'm willing to travel to get it. Rankings and tournament history are generally a negative as they usually just jack up the price, make access too much of a pain to be worth the effort and there's a higher likelihood of running into the entitled bedpost notching crowd (a cult that took me the better part of a decade to escape from).  Of course some would say I'm even more of a snob about where or when I'll play than I used to be cause now if the aforementioned conditions aren't met, I'd usually just rather play guitar or poker.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
I'm simple.  I just don't want to get stuck behind people that grab lunch after 9 holes only to expect that the 10th tee is theirs anytime they want.

The last time I had this happen to me was at Wyncote in PA, and it completely ruined my day because the group ahead of us proceeded to take 2.5 hours to play the back 9 with nobody in front of them.

Other than that, nothing.  Hell, I grew up playing municipal courses that used cutoff painted bowling pins as tee markers!

Niall C

« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

Bob

Bob

Haven't done that but I have tee'd the ball up on a piece of hard packed snow. As you say, golf can be enjoyed whatever.

Niall

Paul Gray

« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »
If absolutely honest, I guess I'm an uber-snob.

I don't look down on people that play the cheapest courses but I do look down on people that look down on people that play the cheapest courses.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
I think squared-off tee boxes are the only way to go. Otherwise, there's not a lot that I'm picky about...except I do despise the a$$hats who don't replace their strip steak-sized divots or fix ball marks, so I'm a snob about leaving the course in better shape than I found it.

Good news Hoover, you can play at my club if you are ever in Minneapolis.

Josh Bills

« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
I play the ball as it lies and really have no interest for teeing it up anytime or getting relief for mud on balls due to wet fairways, etc.  Most people I play with just instinctively move the ball if needed, seems simple to follow the rules, but so many I know can't help themselves. Otherwise, I can play on a $10 muni or country club course, don't care, just play the ball as it lies.   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »

Bob

Bob, I recently learned a term I had never heard before. A "twisty". Some of the really small town courses out here have unirrigated fairways. Sparse is a generous description on the amount of vegetation present. When playing Twisties, the player is allowed to pinch up the nearest green thing they can find and place their ball on it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dave Givnish

« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
A friend from Chicago emailed me a letter from his Golf Committee. It has come to their attention that music being played during rounds is too loud in some cases, which is aggravating other members. They may have to take the drastic step of forcing music to be played only through a player's ear buds.

I guess that I'm a snob or an old f**t, but when the hell did playing rap music through a boom box on a golf cart become a thing? I played in a charity event where the group ahead and behind were doing it.

John Kirk

« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
I guess that I'm a snob or an old f**t, but when the hell did playing rap music through a boom box on a golf cart become a thing? I played in a charity event where the group ahead and behind were doing it.

I'm trying to figure out how modern rap music became a thing at all.  To be sure, it's an exclusionary art form, an insider's game.

Two definitions of snob:

1. a  person  who  imitates,  cultivates,  or  slavishly  admires  social  superiors  and  is  condescending  to  others.    2. a  person  who  believes  himself  or  herself  to  have  superior  tastes  and  is  condescending  toward  those  with  different  tastes:  an  intellectual  (golf, music) snob.

I disdain uber fancy, expensive golf courses with unimaginative designs and hazards.  Given two equivalent golf courses, I will like and admire the one that cost $2M to build more than the one that cost $20M.

Like Lou, I dislike it when players rake bunkers poorly, or walk their pull carts right next to the greens.

Very few people in the GCA community strike me as being condescending. 

If anything, I'm a zealot or a fanatic, who is passionate about discussing golf courses. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
I tend to give undue favor to low key courses that's members and staff are genuinely pleased to have me there rather than give me the impression that it should be the other way around.
That's the reason certain courses would never rate a 10 for me even if the course itself were to warrant it.
(which would be unlikely to happen anyway due to the attitudes that would dictate conditions and design I am unlikely to find unique and compelling).

BCowan

« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
I tend to give undue favor to low key courses that's members and staff are genuinely pleased to have me there rather than give me the impression that it should be the other way around.
That's the reason certain courses would never rate a 10 for me even if the course itself were to warrant it.
(which would be unlikely to happen anyway due to the attitudes that would dictate conditions and design I am unlikely to find unique and compelling).

I agree.  I enjoy playing unpolished gems now.  Courses with great potential, yet are located in declining areas.  There is a course I just played recently in toledo that has great land movement, Sandy soil, and really good routing.  Unfortunately the trustifarian owner just cares about having weddings and has tanked the course.  The pro and the keeper are a joy and keep the place afloat

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »

I agree.  I enjoy playing unpolished gems now.  Courses with great potential, yet are located in declining areas.  There is a course I just played recently in toledo that has great land movement, Sandy soil, and really good routing.  Unfortunately the trustifarian owner just cares about having weddings and has tanked the course.  The pro and the keeper are a joy and keep the place afloat

What course in Toledo are you referring to?

Tamaron or Riverby Hills?
Chris
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:17:29 PM by Chris_Blakely »

Steve Lang

« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
 8)  I think Ben is referring to U of M parking lots for home football games...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back